Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Vista with Black Hub

This is a discussion on Vista with Black Hub within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The VDSL plate is fitted with filters which help remove interference and in some cases can give a better result ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Vista with Black Hub

The VDSL plate is fitted with filters which help remove interference and in some cases can give a better result than plugging directly into the test socket. It depends on the individual line to be honest.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Jaheira is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Abergavenny
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I think I've deduced what is the cause of the slow speeds I'm suffering.

My SR102 is sync'ing at about 25Mbs, which is only slightly below the 27Mbs speed Sky estimated and probably about all I can expect considering I'm about 1km from the cabinet. The problem arises whenever I switch on my Vista laptop (which is an ageing, general house laptop kept downstairs for anyone to use, and usually only switched on a few times a week). EVERY time this machine connects when the router is sync'ed at about 25Mbs, it causes the router's WAN connection to drop (Internet connectivity drops for about 2 mins, and the Internet connection light on the router goes amber) and then resync at about 15Mbs. The router then resyncs each night around 2am back to the usual 25Mbs. As long as the Vista laptop isn't switched on again, it remains connected at this speed. If the Vista machine connects to the router when it is connected at ~15Mbs, there's no WAN connection drop/resync. Both my Android devices and win7 machine do not cause this problem, and quite happily connect when the router is sync'ed at 25Mbs without affecting the WAN connection.

I find this phenomenon to be very strange, as the WLAN connection made between the router and a specific device should have no bearing whatsoever on the WAN connection negotiated between the router and Internet. Can any shed any light on why this is happening?!

I've also noticed that the router seems to be reserving internal IP adresses for my devices based on the order they were first connected to it, even though I haven't configured it to do so. This Win7 lappy was connected first so received 192.168.0.2, whilst the problematic Vista machine was connected last (after 2 Android devices) and therefore was assigned 192.168.0.5. If I reboot the router, and connect the Vista machine first, it still gets allocated 192.168.0.5 whilst the win7 machine always gets 192.168.0.2, even if the 3 other devices connect to the router before it. Is this normal behaviour for the SR102?

Since the Vista machine is causing the router to resync at lower speeds, my connection is constantly being bashed. I'm sure if it was stable at 25Mbs, DLM would sync it slowly upwards and I'd achieve 30Mbs. Could the draft-n Intel wifi link 5100agn wifi card on the Vista machine be somehow destabilising the router? I find it difficult to understand how a WLAN connection is taking down the WAN connection negotiated between the SR102 and Internet. Anyone have any insight?
      Last edited by Jaheira; 03-04-14 at 01:05 AM.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaheira View Post
      Is this normal behaviour for the SR102?
      Normal for any router. Devices will usually keep their previous IP address when reconnecting unless another device has been assigned that IP by DHCP in the intervening time.

Odd that a dodgy WLAN connection would destabilise the router WAN. Possible I guess but my first thought would be that the laptop is pumping out noise, possibly from a faulty/failing power supply, which is being picked up by your phone line. It's not happening when your sync is low because at that time your noise margin would be high and the router can cope.
      dragon2611 likes this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Saturday For This Useful Post:

dragon2611 (03-04-14)

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Odd that a dodgy WLAN connection would destabilise the router WAN. Possible I guess but my first thought would be that the laptop is pumping out noise, possibly from a faulty/failing power supply, which is being picked up by your phone line. It's not happening when your sync is low because at that time your noise margin would be high and the router can cope.
      This is exactly what I was going to suggest, Far more likely to be a faulty PSU than a WLAN fault.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Normal for any router. Devices will usually keep their previous IP address when reconnecting unless another device has been assigned that IP by DHCP in the intervening time.
      Even if you reboot the router? My old 2504g would assign 192.168.0.2 to the first device that connected to it after reboot, regardless of what was connected before.

guess but my first thought would be that the laptop is pumping out noise, possibly from a faulty/failing power supply, which is being picked up by your phone line.
      That vista lappy is using a generic power brick bought to replace the one supplied by Samsung that died. It's about 10ft from the phone extension. After the Vista machine causes a WAN renegotiation, Noise Margin always jumps from about 6.6db to around 13db.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaheira View Post

That vista lappy is using a generic power brick bought to replace the one supplied by Samsung that died. It's about 10ft from the phone extension. After the Vista machine causes a WAN renegotiation, Noise Margin always jumps from about 6.6db to around 13db.
      If it's a cheaply made one then it's extremely likely to be the culprit, some of the ones sold on the likes of ebay are extremely poorly made.

Thanks

And when I as on standard BB in the old house connected @8Mbs, it wouldn't have affected the connection then?

Bought on Amazon.
      Last edited by Jaheira; 06-04-14 at 08:44 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Possibly not as ADSL and VDSL use different frequency bands.

Edit
      See image from wikipedia.

Thanks

I've figured out how I can eliminate that power brick as the issue. Connect with the Vista lappy on battery.....

Will try it out tomorrow.

If the same thing happens, then it isn't interference from the psu, so one more variable removed from the equation!
      Last edited by Jaheira; 06-04-14 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks

I also have a railway line running near to my house that seems to have many freight trains running along it during the night. Could these ground shaking events cause interference in my phone line?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast