Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Vista with Black Hub

This is a discussion on Vista with Black Hub within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Isitme:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanno...artley_theorem My speed issues have been really winding me up! I think I'll give it until this time next ...

Jaheira is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Abergavenny
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Vista with Black Hub

Isitme:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanno...artley_theorem

My speed issues have been really winding me up! I think I'll give it until this time next week to let things settle down, and the start moaning again from there!!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

There are some important things which we need to look at to understand what is happening with your connection.

First is line length and quality. The longer your line is from the cabinet, the slower the connection speed. Cheap extension cable is also bad for it, even if it is professionally installed.

Next is interference from the internal wiring (namely the Bell Wire). Wires 2 5 are required for voice and Internet. Wire 3 carries a signal to ensure extensions ring. Often wire 4 is not connected. This results in a lot of interference. The wiring is correct for voice communications.

The telephone line from outside comes over a paired cable. The third wire is from the Master Socket and must be connected at both ends.

In the past we have often recommend disconnecting wires 3 & 4 at each end and this helps. This is because they pick up radio signals from elsewhere which interferes with the broadband signal.

My suggestion to fit a filtered faceplate at the Master Socket is sound. The VDSL (FTTC Internet) signal is filtered at this point and any potential interference from all the internal wiring is illuminated at a single stroke. You also do not need to disconnect the Bell Wire. You can also stop using the microfilters in each extension socket as the signal isn't reaching them.

By using a good quality & long RJ11 lead to connect your router to the Master Socket, instead of the grey RJ11 lead supplied with your router, you can then place your router away from the telephone socket and there should be a minimal loss is the broadband signal.

GENUINE BT NTE5 vDSL Filtered Faceplate|Openreach&#8482 Branded

10m RJ45 to RJ11 ADSL/VDSL Patch Lead
      (there are other lengths available & they can do made to measure cables too)

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Righto, thanks for all the advice! And sorry for those two slightly stroppy posts yesterday (Isitme in particular). Too many Wye Valley Golden Ales after lunch in Ewyas Harold!!
      Isitme and dragon2611 like this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaheira For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (24-03-14)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaheira View Post
      Righto, thanks for all the advice! And sorry for those two slightly stroppy posts yesterday (Isitme in particular). Too many Wye Valley Golden Ales after lunch in Ewyas Harold!!
      That's OK if you had said the Shannon–Hartley theorem to begin with, I would have completely understood.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaheira View Post
      Don't think I've had the chance to try that one yet...

Personally I think FTTC should have stayed as an engineer install as VDSL is very sensitive to interference/bad extension wiring. It's far far less tolerent to it than ADSL, I hate to think how many people are getting substandard service just because ISP's want to save a few quid on the install costs.
      Steele11 likes this.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Hear, hear. The same problems experienced by ADSL users for years, are being transferred to Fibre users.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Hear, hear. The same problems experienced by ADSL users for years, are being transferred to Fibre users.
      With the effect being amplified no doubt...

Thanks

I think another pertinent point would be with regards to the training period.

I've had sync speeds of between 14000kbs and 29000kbs over the past 8 days since fibre was activated (generally moving upwards). In that time I've moved the router around to various sockets and rebooted more times than I should have (plus that power cut!). My sync speed is now 25000/6000, figures that appear to be too round to be a random sync around that speed, and possibly a standard profile speed set by DLM whilst it's trying to set a speed as high as stably possible.

Therefore, it's probably a little silly getting in a flap and taking major remedial steps during the first 2 weeks after fibre is activated. Probably better to sit on your hands and let things settle down, then take remedial action is speeds continue to be below what you expected (although all of the suggestions made by Isitme/Scubbie/Dragon are sound from the outset and would completely eliminate any potential internal wiring issues).

As I said earlier, my download connection speed is now 25000kbs, only slightly below the 27Mbs quoted by Sky. Since I'm about 1000m from the cabinet, then this is probably about what I should expect. There again 25Mbs/14Mbs/8Mbs they all make little difference to me, just the difference between waiting 12 seconds as opposed to 4 to update malwarebytes (and those 'educational' videos I sometimes look at still work fine!!). It's all too easy to get a little over-zealous and carried away when comparing speeds at Ookla, and I have serious doubts about some of the blindingly fast speeds they quote in certain 3rd world countries. 7.7Mbs global upload average my asre! People in Hong Kong and Singapore with 50Mbs up must be running the test over and over again skewing the averages!

Most people with BB don't even know it's possible to change their router's configuration settings, and are therefore stuck with weak passwords and network keys. I doubt many of these people would realise if their speeds were significantly lower than they were originally quoted. There again, as long as your download speed is above 10Mbs, then you're fine to do anything on the net. If you're a big downloader, then higher speeds would be a bonus though. The 1.5Mbs I was getting with standard BB at my new house prior to fibre was very frustrating, and way to slow for anyone!
      Last edited by Jaheira; 25-03-14 at 12:02 PM.

SOF006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: BT Hub 6 (BT Smart HUB)
      Thanks

My actual setup has me directly plugged into the test socket because well... its better than the faceplate by far.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

A Test Socket shouldn't be used on a permanent basis.

The VDSL Filtered Faceplate is fine and better than an ADSL filtered faceplate.

If you are getting a drop in speeds by using the faceplate I would first check the connections, especially with the Test Socket. You might benefit from fitting the new version of the NTE5 socket.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast