Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

taking sky fibre

This is a discussion on taking sky fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; evening guys, been a long time vm bb (& phone/tv) user .......ever since the 5meg days were tops. but gettting ...

su1c1dal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LVWID - Widnes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

taking sky fibre

evening guys,

been a long time vm bb (& phone/tv) user .......ever since the 5meg days were tops. but gettting cheesed with wrong bills major lag spikes while gaming - which seem to have coincided with the downgrade to 60mb (downgraded from 50mb........work it out lol), and a perception of getting less & less value for my hard earned buck. so looking at either sky fibre (maybe pro if satisfied) or bt. now heard the horrors with bt......had one myself with last landline with them, so would like some informed opinions of skys service i.e. quality of service and customer services etc etc.

one last thing, is there a way to find out location of the cabs? there is a fibre cab opposite my house but not sure if that is the cab that will serve my property. i know the cab number from the bt wholesale page but can't find the cab location.......................but saying that i doubt it should matter that much as both bt & sky say should get full whack, and with there being no line there it will be a fresh copper line in.

ps preferably unbiased non fanboy opinions if you can............................................... maybe asking a bit on a sky forum lmao

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: taking sky fibre

Is a 'fangirl' alright then?

I don't have a games console myself but I haven't seen anyone complaining on a regular basis about gaming on Sky Fibre. I would guess that things are fine as plenty of member do have them. Generally it is advised to connect via the Ethernet cable, not WiFi or HomePlugs though.

As for checking which cabinet, try the page linked below. The cabinet number can appear in the description above the box.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

For the page linked above to work you will need to use your home address rather than the telephone number as you are with VM. It will also give you a good estimate of the potential connection speed you could get.

Do note that Sky now uses the self-install option which means that you won't see a BTO Engineer unless they need to fit a BT telephone line. As for issues with BT, you don't deal with them if you are with Sky. You deal with Sky's customer services. It is they who will liaise with BTO. Most of the time things go smoothly. The forums will always have reports of things going wrong but in fairness people don't come to say "this went well" very often as it is expected.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

soz scubbie where has my equality gone lol.

it will be hard wired - will have to run some cat round where the vm cable runs first- although not sure if to run phone ext as want router nxt to pc, wireless will be for phones/tabs.

it will be a pure new line in as this was a brand new property and had nothing when we moved in..........so know that that portion if line will be ok. I know the cab number that serves my property - just like to know where it is. is there a cab map that can be referenced to?

ps.............I proper game on pc

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

If you know the cab number, then take a walk around where you live. Each cab (it's the phone cab, not the fibre cab you're looking out for) should have their number etched or stamped on to them. Usually on the front, but check on the back too. The fibre cab should be situated very close to it. The link Scubbie gave should give you a decent view of the likely speed you'll get from fibre.

As your property was brand new, do you know whether a BT line was ever connected? If not, you're likely be liable for a connection charge. This is to connect the property and master socket up to the cab. You *may* want to look at getting you Sky phone line set up first and then order fibre to avoid any confusion!

Thanks

Sky do not normally pass on the new line connection fee.

I would refrain from connecting the router to an extension socket. Whilst the 40mb product is capped at 40mb if your line is capable of more speed, so it may not matter, should you go for the 80/20 FTTC product or one of the new speeds once Vectoring is launched, you will have problems.

If you can't have the router where the Master Socket is/will be located, then consider using an suitable shielded RJ11 lead, or run a Cat 5e Ethernet cable from the router to where your console is, with perhaps a network switch if there is more than one device which can use the connection.

Other options include using your old router and configuring it as shown in either of the threads below:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sky do not normally pass on the new line connection fee.
      Well, I didn''t know that! Shame I wasn't with Sky when I moved in to my new build!

Thanks

They used to charge 120 but reduced it to around 50.

I've just checked with a friend who moved into a place about a year ago and she only had to pay 15 upfront, but we think this might have been a deposit/advanced payment for line rental.

She had to move again as that place wasn't fit to live in and the new place needed another new line installed. She doesn't think that she was charged for the new line again, but this was a new contract.

Normally if you do move in mid-contract, you may have to pay for the installation, but check.

P.S. In both cases my friend managed to get the BTO Engineer to fit a nice shiny new VDSL faceplate too, and she only has Sky Unlimited Broadband

redrum217uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: DUNSTON
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

I can't get SKY Fibre just yet but I can comment on their Customer Services, which overall is very good. I have had some inconsistent problems with my line, and depending on who I speak to at SKY some say there is nothing wrong (the script readers), others (the ones that do actually seem like the know what they are talking about) do say there are problems. Although since I did some DIY on my line things have improved and even got SKY movies free for my trouble, without even asking for compensation.

I also find the guys on here really helpful too

I think I will go with SKY Fibre over say BT as there are just too many horror stories about how bad their customer services is, which friends have also experienced, but they are a big company and will have problems like every company does.

Thanks

according to the adsl checker which i did before but wanted to confirm, and it confirms that should get near enough full speed & a fresh line with no defects should do. as to the install, can i ask them where to run the line to? would prefer it down side of the house to keep safe & come in where existing stuff is - next doors was just run from post to wall and thrown over roof and run down front of house.....had to have cable repined a few times due to local idiots (same for dish cabling to)

after a bit more looking it's looking likely that will book something tomorrow. didn't want bt per sae back in after the last house and even less so with 18month deals - 12 is just fine for me lol & working it out they are more expensive over 12months for nearest equivalent pack. going back to what scubbie wa saying about line install charges. nice to see that they seem to have done away with the charge, last time i looked iirc it was something like 124 for a new line install but if you took a pack they waived the charge...........iirc last bt line i had installed they discounted it with the phone pack i took and added like 1 to the line rental, was a good few years ago so might be wrong.

so for time being will get std fibre unlimited (with phone & entertainment extra tv) for now as will still have 2 months virgin to pay - the current bill and 30 days notice as want install & running before final vm disconnect. how does the upgrade to pro work? is it a case of ring up and it then starts a new 12 month deal or just increase on the term of contract left?

@redrum217uk, you should try vm customer services during the day........................having to repeat yourself to someone on other side of the world isn't fun - saying that if you rang first thing or late on you usually managed to get uk services but they were always busy as everyone wanted them lol.

pablo73 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LVNET
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by su1c1dal View Post
      how does the upgrade to pro work? is it a case of ring up and it then starts a new 12 month deal or just increase on the term of contract left?
      Yes just ring the Fibre team in Sky. Mine was done overnight and it is a brand new 12 month contract. Be wary of Sky's estimates for line speed, they quoted me 57.9 Mbps download, they didn't give a quote for upload. These are my stats after day 7.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails taking sky fibre-image.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast