Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

poor wifi on the sky box sr102

This is a discussion on poor wifi on the sky box sr102 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hello all i just got sky fiber and very happy with it (wired) but the wifi is really bad drop ...

thehitman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub sr102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

poor wifi on the sky box sr102

hello all

i just got sky fiber and very happy with it (wired) but the wifi is really bad drop outs very slow even when i watch a youtube video it just stops and buffers alot, i never had this problem before when i run speed tests it is very random sometimes i get 36mbits
      then sometimes i get 16mbits of 14mbits i have also seen that the upload is faster than the download so i rang sky and there said everything is fine and it must be your environment which is a load of crap coz when i was on o2 a 8mbit line i never had these problems

has any one had a bad experience with the sky sr102 router

i was thinking to changing the router as sky cant help me, i have seen some threads about setting up other routers but from what i have seen on these routers dont have a phone socket i think it is a rj11 socket mine is just connected to the phone line

can some please give some advice on what type of router i need that will work on sky fiber

many thanks

2. Advertisement
      LiamMc03 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kneller Hall
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: poor wifi on the sky box sr102

Have you tried changing the channel to a 'clean' channel. Well, one with little interference from other channels.

I believe some people around the forum recommend InSSIDer but there are many other free alternatives too. I personally use 'WiFi Analyzer' on my android phone.

If you are sure there's no new devices in the home interfering with your wireless signal, it's on the best possible channel and you have tried another router with the same settings to be sure the wireless problem isn't to do with your environment, then I would suggest it's a problem with the hub.

I have had problems with the wireless since day one switching to the SR102 hub. I have now been sent a replacement. The connected devices would constantly have problems with slow loading web pages, buffering videos and pretty much constant disconnections.

Have you also tried resetting the hub (button on the back - depressed 20+ seconds) - as this is something the Sky bods will suggest.

Good luck!

thehitman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: sky hub sr102
      Thanks

thanks for the reply

yeh i did check the channel i changed it to a channel which is not used but still not that great
      are you still using the sr102 router, are you going to change it

i would like to change it but i,m not sure which router i need as the sr102 has a modem built into it do you know how to do this
      all the guides here are about a router only

thanks

LiamMc03 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kneller Hall
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I'm awaiting the replacement SR102 hub, once here I'm hopeful it will solve the problem.

You could buy a cable router and connect it to the SR102 and use the dmz setting to forward any information to your preferred cable router.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

pawellond is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Hi

Hope this will be helpful. I switched to Sky from BT few months ago and had only problems ever since. Wifi was very bad cutting out at times or being extremely slow. Been in touch with Sky's technical support numerous times with no joy. I was so angry with the situation I would quit this rubbish service but I'm locked into the 12 month contract, so decided to change the Sky Hub 102 with the Netgear D6200-100UKS AC1200, it was a bit of an expense as it cost 129 but well worth the money. Now my internet works, I can watch YouTube videos in full hd without constant buffering and had no single dropped connection since. Looks like the rubbish Sky Hub is not up to the job!

There are some settings you need to put in your new router to make it work with Sky and they are:

username: install@o2broadband.co.uk
      password: leave blank as not needed

That's it, you are up and running, hope this will save you a lot of headache I had to go through.

Enjoy!

nivek1612 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Armitage
      Broadband ISP: Zen FTTC 80/20
      Router: OPNsense and Billion 8800NL v1
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2Tb+2xMini
      Thanks

Interetesting post

I wonder how long that username will stay 'valid'

An alternative is to use Wireshark to extract your assigned username from your Sky supplied router and use that with a know working 3rd party router - lots of post on here on about which ones work well or quite well

Personally I chose the solution of pointing the DMZ of the SR102 to a 'proper' router. Effectively making the SR102 just a modem (not strictly true but you get the idea) but ensuring my router is always compatible with the Sky service regardless of what changes they make in the future.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is what happens while your making plans

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Unfortunately Pawellond's advice is valid for ADSL but it will not work with Fibre. Have a look through the Fibre section and you will find plenty of information, this one for a start. http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...sky-fibre.html

Basically to connect to fibre you will need a BTO modem and a cable router which will accept Option 61. Just about any that can be flashed with Open firmware will do. Alternately you can buy a one box solution with a built in vDSL router. There are a few of these around, but they are expensive. The Billion 8800AXL is the latest reported able to connect direct to Sky fibre.
      Billion BiPAC 8800AXL - your one box VDSL modem router

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.