Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Openreach Engineer

This is a discussion on Openreach Engineer within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Jaheira Is it possible to temporarily enable WPS, connect the On Demand thingy using it, then disable ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Openreach Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Jaheira View Post
      Is it possible to temporarily enable WPS, connect the On Demand thingy using it, then disable WPS? Will the connector still work after WPS is disabled?
      This will work, but from what we learned on the beta trial you do not need to disable the WPS function on the Sky Hub SR101 or SR102.

There was an article posted during the trial about a method which was being used to hack into some WiFi n routers. Without giving the specific details away, this process will not work on the Sky Hub SR101 or SR102.

Essentially if someone attempts to use the wrong PIN too many times then the WPS function is disabled for a period of time and the hacker will not know the difference. This means that if a computer program were used to send say 100 PIN numbers per minute to the router, then it will have already locked out the feature for say 15 minutes, during which time another 1500 numbers will have been tried and failed.

If someone were really determined then they would have to capture all your transmissions over the WiFi and decrypt them in order to get your password. The processing power to do this currently requires access to the Internet for WPA2. If someone were that serious about hacking your WiFi, then I suspect they would have physically broken into your home first.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

2. Advertisement
      Jaheira is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Any idea what speeds I can expect considering I'm a little out in the sticks, about 1km from the cabinet?

And what should I do with my old routers?! My Sagem 2504g died recently when I moved (think it may just be the transformer/plug as it rattles) and my SR101 was only taken out of the box a just over a week ago.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Sky should have provided you with an estimate of your potential connection speed when you signed up to Sky Fibre. Do you know what this was? If not, sign into your My Sky account on the Sky website as it should still be visible there.

If it isn't there or you would like a second opinion, this page appears to be quite useful:

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Remember that poor internal telephone wiring can impair the actual performance if you do not use a filtered faceplate. If you do use the one suggested by seawright in post #9 then this will isolate the internal wiring and it is purely down to the wiring between the socket and the cabinet.

As for the old routers, there are a number of things you could do...

1. If you need an additional WiFi access point, then run an Ethernet cable between the main Sky router connected to the telephone line and configure the additional router as per the guide in this thread: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html
      2. Sell them or give them away (eBay might be suitable, otherwise a car boot sale). Do wipe any personal settings first using the reset button
      3. Doorstop

The SR101 could connect via your Sky Fibre connection if you have a BTO Fibre Modem. I would therefore suggest that you keep this for now. Looking on eBay there are a few there. I would suggest that you watch the prices first, but 20 isn't too bad, which is what one supplier is asking. You may wish to check some local second-hand shops first to see how much they are asking if you want the backup option.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Jaheira is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

So, am I correct in believing the SR102 will work fine with standard BB if I connect it prior to the fibre activation date?

That old Sagem 2504g appears to be dead, or more likely the transformer plug has gone, therefore I can't reset it to factory defaults. What useful info could someone potentially lift from it if I take it to the council recycling dump? Even if someone got it working with a different plug, they'd have to reset, as I've changed the network key and admin password. Even if they could somehow manually extract them from the hardware, they'd be useless in hacking my new router as they wouldn't know where I lived and I haven't reused the network key. Would manually extracting my hardcoded username and pasword be of any use to anyone? Could they use the router on their line in my name?!
      Last edited by Jaheira; 15-03-14 at 01:51 AM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You can connect the fibre router, it will work OK on ADSL and automatically switch to Fibre when you get it installed.

There is nothing anyone can learn about you from your old router. At best they could extract the username and password, which are unique to the router not you. They could use these to access Sky on a Sky broadband line but as you are not using these details on your new router, it is of no consequence to you. In other words, don't worry about it, dispose of it as you wish.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12