Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

VDSL Faceplate wiring concerns - Need I do anything?

This is a discussion on VDSL Faceplate wiring concerns - Need I do anything? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme So if you take Infinity 1 you get one of the new Version 5 Super Hubs, ...

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: VDSL Faceplate wiring concerns - Need I do anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      So if you take Infinity 1 you get one of the new Version 5 Super Hubs, but if you take 2 or 3 you get a separate modem, presumably with the older Ver 4 Hub which does not have a built in modem. Seems you are better starting with BTI 1 to get the good router then upgrade later to BTI 2 or 3.
      I think it's better with the separate modem TBH. It's tiny, if you have power next to the master it can be wall mounted, then run an Ethernet cable to where you want the router.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

2. Advertisement
      Miracle_Boy66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSHAM
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      It doesn't matter if they are in use or not, the fact is the ADSL signal is travelling down them(which can affect speed). If they are not required for ADSL then filter at the master socket. I'm not sure why you are worrying about this, if you have a BTO engineer visit they should know all of this & sort it for you! Oh, & pin 3 should be connected, many phones still need it & it has ZERO ill effect on the connection if you have an ADSL/vDSL faceplate or later NTE5 with bell wire filter.
      O.K. Thanks again. O.K. I'll connect to wire 3 as well if you are sure it will not have any negative effects. The only reason I'm concerned about this is because I'm fully aware that my wiring is not as per the standard wiring arrangement and that's why I thought it best to ask for advice here.

I will change my wiring and use the gel crimps to re-terminate everything as it should be. I could just use a spare twisted pair and terminate these to the vDSL IDC terminals and connect that pair to my RJ11 socket in my PC room, however, Since that would mean that both the vDSL signal, and the voice signal would be travelling down the same length of cable, all be it on different twisted pairs. (one to my Rj11 socket for router/modem, one for the telephone extension socket in that room, currently unused)!! Would there be any possible advantage to running another length of cat5e cable dedicated to carry only the vDSL signal? or would that simply be a waste of time, and cable? The cables would be running inside the same length of trunking BTW!!, but perhaps might offer some more protection against interference?

Thanks Guys!!!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

would that simply be a waste of time, and cable?
      In my opinion yes. There is no point in running a separate cable.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hold on, if the same cable then you would have the ring wire in the same cable as the DSL pair. In theory it may still affect the DSL signal, even though it would be separated at the vDSL faceplate you are then reintroducing it to the DSL pair.I'm trying to get in my head whether it would cause issues as it would still be filtered by the inductor in the NTE5 faceplate! However you say that extension is unused for phones, easier to disconnect it & use it for DSL only (or filter at far end for that extension if you need a phone too??)

Thanks

Hold on, if the same cable then you would have the ring wire in the same cable as the DSL pair. In theory it may still affect the DSL signal, even though it would be separated at the vDSL faceplate you are then reintroducing it to the DSL pair.I'm trying to get in my head whether it would cause issues as it would still be filtered by the inductor in the NTE5 faceplate! However you say that extension is unused for phones, easier to disconnect it & use it for DSL only (or filter at far end for that extension if you need a phone too??)

O.K. thanks again to both of you!! I'll not run another line of Cat5e then. How about I just don't connect the ringer wire (3) on that Cate cable, but connect it to all the other extensions? I'd rather keep that telephone extension in the computer room, as it then feeds the last and farther most away extension (from Master socket) in the loft room.

It is curious that BT supply new customers with the HH5, and then also insist that where Infinity 2 is purchased, an engineer has to come and install a modem??...

Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

That will probably be best. However there would be no point connecting it to any sockets downstream as the ring voltage comes from the master socket.

Thanks

That will probably be best. However there would be no point connecting it to any sockets downstream as the ring voltage comes from the master socket.
      Sorry, I'm not sure I follow you. Do you mean there would be no point in connecting a phone to the sockets down stream as the ring voltage comes from the master socket? If so, that won't be a problem. That phone socket was only ever intended to be used with another sky box if I chose to go muti room, but I didn't bother in the end.

Will that other (possibly master) socket module I have connected further down stream (in the loft) on that cable I want to use for the vDSL signal be of any concern as source of interference? If so, I'll just disconnect it. The more I think about it, It's really not needed anyway, I'll probably never use it now.

Thanks!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think you should have a good look at your layout and cut out all the sockets you don't want. Realistically with today's modern phones there is no need for any more than one connection for the base station and maybe another for the Sky box. The less wiring you have in your circuit, the less the chance of interference.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think you should have a good look at your layout and cut out all the sockets you don't want. Realistically with today's modern phones there is no need for any more than one connection for the base station and maybe another for the Sky box. The less wiring you have in your circuit, the less the chance of interference.

Yup, I guess you are right. I'll leave the cable in place though, and just disconnect and or re-wire where it's needed.

One last thing then!!

If I buy one of those BTO vDSL faceplates (NTE5a) and connect up the vDSL signal to the IDC terminals behind the front facia plate, will that be able to handle ADSL as well as VDSL? Not at the same time, obviously, I'm thinking that if I buy one of those, fit it and do my rewiring, then I compare my current stats with the new stats once the work has been done and I'll A) be able to verify if the line is better or worse, and B) I'll be able to iron out any issues before the BTO engineer comes to do my install, and C) I'll have practically no downtime, just plug in the new modem and router to the RJ11 socket and start them up, no further wiring required.

I don't want to have to mess around with any wiring issues after I've had my vDSL install, would rather sort out issue before hand.

Thanks!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes, they are backwards compatible. If you are going to have an extension for vDSL this needs to be dedicated, ie, nothing else daisy chaining off it. Just run one CAT5e cable from the vDSL plate to an RJ11 socket where you want the router. Ideally it should be at the master socket & run an Ethernet cable from there to a network switch...

Any other extensions for phones Sky boxes etc run off the filtered NTE5 lower front plate, you can daisy chain those as they will have zero affect on the DSL signal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast