Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can i use and Extention Cable

This is a discussion on Can i use and Extention Cable within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Before i take the plunge and get sky to upgrade me to Fiber i was wondering if i would ...

Roj Blake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Panoptigon
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: SKY HUB SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Can i use and Extention Cable

Hi

Before i take the plunge and get sky to upgrade me to Fiber i was wondering if i would be able to use my existing phone line extension from the master socket to where my old netgear and phone sit ( aprox 12 feet )

Or should i re org the living room to put the new kit near the master socket ?

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Can i use and Extention Cable

Anything would be better than Sky Connect.
      A lot depends on the quality of the phone line extension.
      As Sky no longer send out an engineer for routine fibre installations you can try with your existing layout remembering to replace adsl microfilters with the new ones provided.
      If the speeds you get are less than those advised you could always re-organise the living room after the initial DLM has finished or even fit a VDSL faceplate to your master socket.
      Try to avoid disconnecting your router more often than necessary.

Thanks

Excuse my ignorance but is a VDSL faceplate an updated I-Plate ? or are they the same thing by a different name ?
      also i have an older bt logo ( the old T one ) on my Master Socket will this make a difference ?

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

An I-Plate was used to improve ADSL speeds by isolating the bell wire and is different to a VDSL face plate. If an I-plate can be fitted to your master socket then there wouldn't be any problem using a VDSL faceplate as the method of fitting is the same.

It doesn't matter what logo is on your master socket as long as it is type NTE5, recognisable by a split front plate where the lower half can be removed to reveal a test socket.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

BT changed the name of the iPlate to Broadband Accelerator to free the name up for the iPlate filter which as well as isolating the bell wire provides an efficient filter for the broadband. They can be distinguished by the fact that the original iplate (Interstitial plate) simply fitted between the faceplate and the Test socket, the existing phone port still being used in conjuction with a plug in filter. The new plate also fits between the faceplate and the Test socket but includes a dedicated ADSL port connected to a very efficient vDSL/ADSL filter.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Cheers for the info
      Looks like i will get the fiber, moving the modem and fitting the VDSL

Is the sr102 any good ? and will the 10/100 Ethernet connect be good enough to take full advantage ?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Is the sr102 any good ? and will the 10/100 Ethernet connect be good enough to take full advantage ?
      It is very much a personal preference. Many find the 102 is good enough for everything they want to do, while others find it woefully short in options. The 100mb ethernet is just good enough for an 80mb connection, but many find the wireless speed is not up to par, struggling to get anything like the top speed on wireless.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.