Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Are my speeds correct and will they ever get any better or is this the max I will ever get?

This is a discussion on Are my speeds correct and will they ever get any better or is this the max I will ever get? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I had sky fibre installed yesterday here are my stats: I was advised I would get 34.8mb Broadband Link ...

STEMBOB is offline Junior Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Are my speeds correct and will they ever get any better or is this the max I will ever get?

Hi

I had sky fibre installed yesterday here are my stats:
      I was advised I would get 34.8mb

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 39976 kbps 6292 kbps
      Line Attenuation 23.2 dB 0.0 dB
      Noise Margin 12.8 dB 6.6 dB

My speedtest results range from 10 to 22mb download 6-7mb upload
      I am approx 1.7km from the exchange.

Will I never get any better than this?(is this the best sky or BT can offer me or will I have to go to virgin next year to achieve at least up to 60mb download speeds)

Should I be getting on to sky about my speed?

Thanks for your help.

2. Advertisement
      cjm1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYBAT Batley
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box x2
      Thanks

Re: Are my speeds correct and will they ever get any better or is this the max I will ever get?

Quote Originally Posted by STEMBOB View Post
      Hi

I had sky fibre installed yesterday here are my stats:
      I was advised I would get 34.8mb

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 39976 kbps 6292 kbps
      Line Attenuation 23.2 dB 0.0 dB
      Noise Margin 12.8 dB 6.6 dB

I am approx 1.7km from the exchange.

Will I never get any better than this?(is this the best sky or BT can offer me or will I have to go to virgin next year to achieve at least up to 60mb download speeds)

Should I be getting on to sky about my speed?

Thanks for your help.
      Where you have quoted the sync speeds is from your router webpage i presume. Thats showing that you are maxed out for download speed on a 40/10 profile so you are getting more than sky quoted. Plug your pc direct to your router through ethernet and try your speed test again. Everything after the router will be down to your setup in your house.
      I get roughly the same stats but a speedtest from my pc gives me 27Mb. Thats because im going through homeplugs. Wifi gives me around the same or even less.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Are my speeds correct and will they ever get any better or is this the max I will ever get?

Are you using wifi? If so try a direct ethernet connection, wireless is nearly always slower than ethernet. Likewise, many have found that homeplugs slow their connection down.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

STEMBOB is offline Junior Member
      Exchange:
      Router: SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

I will try a wire connection and post back.
      So if this is the best I can get... What are BT going to do to compete with virgin media in the next 5 years?
      Looks like I will be going to virgin next year to get the high speeds which will be needed in the future. 20mb ain't gonna cut it.

Thanks

You have a sync of 40 Mb so should get around 36-37Mb actual download speed. If you were on Pro and your line is good enough you could get up to 76Mb. If you really need a lot of speed you could go for FTTP/H. It is expensive but will deliver speeds like 300Mb, which Virgin can't do..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

cjm1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYBAT Batley
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box x2
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You have a sync of 40 Mb so should get around 36-37Mb actual download speed. If you were on Pro and your line is good enough you could get up to 76Mb. If you really need a lot of speed you could go for FTTP/H. It is expensive but will deliver speeds like 300Mb, which Virgin can't do..
      Sky and Talktalk quoted me 33Mb but Bt quoted over 50Mb. Im maxing mine out at the moment and get 36-38Mb direct from the router like you say above. Strange that Sky and Talktalk quote so much under. Youd think it could lose them custom if people believed Bt would give different speeds.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by cjm1979 View Post
      Sky and Talktalk quoted me 33Mb but Bt quoted over 50Mb. Im maxing mine out at the moment and get 36-38Mb direct from the router like you say above. Strange that Sky and Talktalk quote so much under. Youd think it could lose them custom if people believed Bt would give different speeds.
      Yep.
      And i'd bet that it does because some people will actually believe it.

Crashst3r is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Taunton
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Well Sky and other companys having been under quoting alot since BT decided to change the wholesale quotes, even though these other companys use the info they still dont seem to be upto date unlike BT.. What does BTwholesale checker quote you as getting??

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

The entire system is an absolute shambles.

I've seen some sites advertising sky & others as 'up to' 16mb for ADSL, yet we all know it's up to 24mb really.
      Apparently there's some nonsensical law that dictates that ads can only claim a certain percentage of what's technically possible.

Pantaloony.

Thanks

I think it may be that BT are quoting the speeds based on their 80Mb service, whereas Sky and TT are giving an estimate for their 40Mb package. Sky and TT don't seem to push the high speed package as much as BT.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast