Basically the WiFi adaptor in your Laptop, as with most others, is crap.

From what I am learning, the figure of 72mbps is the total speed of sending and receiving. So half of that is what you'd expect as the most (36mbps) for downloading off a NAS on your own network.

With the Internet you have other issues which will slow the speed down a little further.

Depending on your knowledge, the ease of access and how old the laptop it, you may wish to consider changing the adaptor to one which can work at a faster speed. The Sky Hub SR102 works at 144mbps on the 2.4GHz band.

If you were to get an adaptor capable of 300mbps (144mbps adaptors aren't worth getting) on the 2.4GHz band (i.e. the normal WiFi n band), then this should improve things.

If you do not know how to fit one or which to get, feel welcome to post up the which computer you have. However it may be necessary to find a local person who can do the work for you.

However, when I was first connected to Sky Fibre I did a few tests over Ethernet with different computers. The results surprised me. I got quite a variety of results depending on which computer I used and it wasn't always a straight 'which has the faster CPU' either.

Edit: I have had to update the adapters in my own laptops and a friend's too.