Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Getting fibre in the upcoming weeks, somewhat confused about what my setup will be

This is a discussion on Getting fibre in the upcoming weeks, somewhat confused about what my setup will be within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Currently my setup is a quick Mikrotik Routerboard (RouterOS) router, to a bridged modem, to microfilter & splitter, to sky, ...

qK6XQPKT1090JDbYAbHV is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Getting fibre in the upcoming weeks, somewhat confused about what my setup will be

Currently my setup is a quick Mikrotik Routerboard (RouterOS) router, to a bridged modem, to microfilter & splitter, to sky, I'm getting ~ 700KB/s. I've recently called Sky up and upgraded to Sky Fibre, which will activate in the next two weeks (Along with a new Sky issued router), unfortunately, I don't wish to use Sky's router (I've just had issues upon issues with them in the past), I've already researched how's Fibre authenticates users, and, I believe I've already setup my Mikrotik router to emulate that (DHCP options, got two (Dec)61 due to me not being sure if I need "@skydsl" at the end of my username, I assume not:-

Haven't filled out the (Dec)60 either, as, apparently that's optional
      ).

However, I'm going to need to buy a new bridged modem (I assume) as mine is only marked up to 25Mb/s, I've ordered the 38Mb/s package. What I'm really really confused about now, is, how will my network now look? I've read that after entering my house (Via the phone line(?)) it'll connect to a Openreach modem (RJ11 in, RJ45 out(?)), then, from that, it'll go into the Sky router (Assuming I'm using their setup), and, from there, my other computers connect to that, correct? If that's the case, what does that Openreach modem actually do that any other modem can't do? And how is this any difference to the ADSL setup I currently have (Which, from research, seems to have a limit of 25Mb/s, I think)?

I'm not very advanced in networking, I know a bit here and there, so, sorry if this is a little obvious.

Thanks,
      qK.

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

Re: Getting fibre in the upcoming weeks, somewhat confused about what my setup will be

The Sky routers have the modem integrated now so you won't have the separate Openreach modem.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Getting fibre in the upcoming weeks, somewhat confused about what my setup will be

If that's the case, what does that Openreach modem actually do that any other modem can't do?
      It is a VDSL modem able to work with fibre lines, which an ADSL modem cannot do. There are modems and modem/routers which can emulate the BTO modem but at the moment there are not a great deal to choose from. Most users who wish to use their own router buy a BTO modem to do the actual connection. That would probably be your best bet, they are widely available on a well known auction site.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is a VDSL modem able to work with fibre lines, which an ADSL modem cannot do. There are modems and modem/routers which can emulate the BTO modem but at the moment there are not a great deal to choose from. Most users who wish to use their own router buy a BTO modem to do the actual connection. That would probably be your best bet, they are widely available on a well known auction site.
      Thinking about doing this, got the fibre today with the SR102, I absolutely hate the way it's setup. It seems to fight with my router about everything I've setup, and, it has literally no way to disable it using the WEB-UI, it seems to have been made for someone who has absolutely no idea what they're doing without the slightest concern that someone may not what some of the features. I even tried my luck at a SSH/telnet connection in hope that there may be something I could fiddle around with in more detail there. I was sadly declined, left with no method to tell the SR102 to stop doing what it's doing as my current router already does it, and, a lot better.

So, if I were to get the BTO modem, does that deal with authentication or would I still have to set that up in my current router?

EDIT:- You also say "There's not a great deal to choose from", I assume that means there are some? Is there anywhere I can find a list (Modems only, I don't care for modem/routers, they just fight "Oohh, I want to do the firewall", "Oohh, I want to do the routing!", "Oohh, I want to choose which subnets can talk to each other")

EDIT2:- SR102 is also boiling hot, putting my hand over the vent.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

So, if I were to get the BTO modem, does that deal with authentication or would I still have to set that up in my current router?
      Yes, the modem only connects you to fibre, your router has to authenticate with Sky.

EDIT:- You also say "There's not a great deal to choose from", I assume that means there are some? Is there anywhere I can find a list (Modems only,
      That was in reference to modem routers. Most are content with the BTO modem. I am sure there are others available and a quick search brings up ZyXEL P-871M Point-to-Point VDSL2 Modem - 91-004-778003B

EDIT2:- SR102 is also boiling hot, putting my hand over the vent.
      You better keep your eye on it. Mine has been running for months non-stop and is just warm to the touch. I haven't seen any other reports on it running very hot so yours may be faulty.

As for connecting another router to the Hub, the only way you can do this is by putting your own router in the DMZ of the Hub and creating another network. It is the nearest you will get to modem only mode, but it still causes double NAT if that is important to you. You can get an idea of what is required by having a look here - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html This will not work with an ADSL router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Yes, the modem only connects you to fibre, your router has to authenticate with Sky.
      That's exactly what I want. I'll do a bit more research then pick one up a bit later. Thanks.

I assume it's not really an officially sold thing, is it? I have to buy it through a less than official seller.

pr1vatepiles is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Going by my experience with the SR102 that hasn't lasted a week. I'd go for getting a BTO modem and setting your own router up. At least you have spare kit.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pr1vatepiles View Post
      Going by my experience with the SR102 that hasn't lasted a week. I'd go for getting a BTO modem and setting your own router up. At least you have spare kit.
      My experience didn't last 24 hours, within the first 24 hours my network dropped to a crawl, ~ 100KiB/s*, and, ~ 2 seconds latency. Verified it was not my router, tracert when something like:-

~ half a millisecond to my router
      ~ two milliseconds to Sky's router (Why so long!?! 1.5MS just to reply to a ICMP echo?)
      ~ 600 milliseconds to Sky
      ~ 1200 milliseconds to Easynet
      ~ 2000 milliseconds from Easynet to Google (8.8.8.8)

I went to bed because I wasn't in the mood for it (was ~ 11PM), seems to be back to norm now, but, having issues in less than eight hours after installation is never a good sign. Granted, I don't think this has anything to do with my sky-issued router, but, it does warn me to stay away from anything sky or sky-issued. (I'm only on Sky, if I'm honest, because nobody else will serve me without ridiculous prices or super low bandwidth).

*Speed only tested with TCP, so, the issue very well might have been just the latency, but, the transport requiring validation slowed speeds down.