Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Fursty Ferret

SNR increasing, speed remaining constant?

This is a discussion on SNR increasing, speed remaining constant? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Had Sky Fibre enabled mid-December. Upon first connecting the router (SR102) the speed was a happy 76mbps with a 6dB ...

Fursty Ferret is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

SNR increasing, speed remaining constant?

Had Sky Fibre enabled mid-December. Upon first connecting the router (SR102) the speed was a happy 76mbps with a 6dB SNR. The electricity company then did some work on the road and tripped the power repeatedly during the day about a week after installation. When this was complete the modem was syncing at 50mbps and an SNR of 8dB.

It's now been three weeks; the SNR is showing 15dB (??) but the speed is constant at 50. Routerstats shows the connection dropped once overnight, re-establishing after about 15 seconds with a doubled SNR.

Series of stupid questions:

Is this DLM doing its thing?
      Is the loss of sync at 3am line problem or "normal"?
      Why is the SNR increasing with no input from me? And how do I get my original speed back?

Ta muchly,

Dave.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: SNR increasing, speed remaining constant?

Fursty Ferret! I seem to recall getting really messed up on that beer on one occasion! Anyway that's another story!
      It sounds like the power problem might have messed up your DLM if there is such a thing on fibre. Might need to get sky to restart it! Think it only normally lasts about 10 days. As I said though not sure things are the same on fibre.

RADZ1973 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01424
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I am pretty sure Sky cant do anything with Fibre its all done by BT, and im also pretty sure DLM is constantly running on Fibre at the cabinet.

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post

Is this DLM doing its thing?
      Is the loss of sync at 3am line problem or "normal"?
      Why is the SNR increasing with no input from me? And how do I get my original speed back?

Ta muchly,

Dave.
      It is DLM doing it's thing. The multiple outages made it 'think' the line had become unstable.

Resyncs between 2am and 4 am are the usual times the DLM will resync the line.

The SNR will increase gradually if the line speed has been reduced if there is no real problem with the line. You just have to wait for DLM to start increasing the speed and in my experience it can take between 2 and 6 weeks for the line speed to get back up to it's original level. Once it starts it done in stages over a few nights.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Have you tried calling Sky?

Personally I would ask (nicely) to speak to the Fibre team and explain your issue with them.

They should be able to get a BTO Engineer to reset the line and get you back to full speed.

Another possible issue is that the electricity people moved the telephone cables and this has caused the problem. Again a BTO Engineer will be needed to sort it out.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Update:

So Sky ended up calling out an Openreach chap who visited yesterday. According to him it's possible that a rapid series of power interrupts cause the card in the DSLAM to "lock" to a lower profile, and the only way to reset it is through a home visit. Switching off the router at the mains prevents it sending a "last gasp" message back to the DSLAM and registers a fault. This is doubled when the power comes back on.

Advice from him is to always use to power switch on the router / modem. Mine doesn't actually have one but pretty sure that clicking "Disconnect" in the control panel probably does a more civilised drop.

Slightly weird that his tester synced at 73 but my router only does 68, but compared to the 49 I was getting it's a decent improvement. Might try a new cable down the road once the 10 days settling in period is over.
      Scubbie likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Good result.

As for the sync speed, that might be with some errors. There are 3 different profiles which all the ISPs can choose between though. Sky use a profile which has less errors and is more stable.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well, after a week or two the speed topped out at 68 mbps, so as a matter of curiosity I built a new DSL cable from a length of CAT6 I had floating around. Sync speed immediately jumped to 74 mbps with a 6.3dB noise margin.

The moral of the story is don't trust the flat cable that Sky supply with the router. :-)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The moral of the story is don't trust the flat cable that Sky supply with the router.
      That has been discovered before. For some reason not all the supplied cables are faulty and perform pretty well, but anyone experiencing lower speeds than expected should try replacing the cable with a better quality one.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.