Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Will Sky drop the price of Fibre?

This is a discussion on Will Sky drop the price of Fibre? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; At 20 a month for the 38/10 and 30 a month for the 76/20 fibre package, Sky are more expensive ...

BroadbandKing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1Tb
      Thanks

Will Sky drop the price of Fibre?

At 20 a month for the 38/10 and 30 a month for the 76/20 fibre package, Sky are more expensive than other fibre providers!

As I pay 7.50 a month for Sky Broadband Unlimited, I cannot justify paying 150 extra a year for fibre speeds.

I would take up the 38/10 package if it were priced at 12.50, as I would pay 60 extra a year for faster speeds.

Does anyone know if Sky have any plans to reduced the prices of the fibre packages?

As soon as my contract is up, I will be looking at fibre packages provided elsewhere as they are much cheaper.

With Sky providing the worst router and charging the higher prices, I cannot see why anyone would take up their fibre packages!

2. Advertisement
      Racey43 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

Re: Will Sky drop the price of Fibre?

I pay 20 a month for Sky fibre for 38/10 unlimited usage. It's 19.99 price for Plusnet. Bt infinity is 16 a month for 3 months ( + 60 Sainsbury gift card), then 23 a month.
      BT would appear to be the best deal on these figures. I wouldn't go near them after a bad experience with their customer service a few years ago. I spent about 15 hours on the phone over 2 weeks trying, unsuccessfully, to resolve a contractual issue. That's the reason I left vowing never to go near them again.
      I never had any technical problems with them, however, and believe that their router is far superior to Sky's.

woppy101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Plusnet's 80/20 package is 19.99

Racey43 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woppy101 View Post
      Plusnet's 80/20 package is 19.99
      unfortunately, 80/20 is not available to me. Otherwise I would go for the Plusnet 80/20 deal

jrfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I don't think Sky will drop their fibre BB prices.

To be honest they don't appear to be interested in even promoting it.

I guess they make their money out of ADSL, hence the carp router.

My SFUP has been faultless since it was installed. After many years with a disappointing service from VM I am loath to change. However what with the carp router, the price, MER and the hoops you have to jump through to be able to use a decent router on sky's fibre network I can no longer recommend them. Indeed it gets harder by the day to stay.

However as I no longer wish to be involved with BT or their subsidiary Plusnet my options are limited.
      Scubbie likes this.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Sky are only really un-competitive on 80/20.

New to Sky broadband customers can get 6mhp fibre [up to 40Mb] (10/month) where-as existing Sky broadband customers get it for 20 per month compared with BT where it's 23 per month for existing broadband customers.

Selected customers can still get 12mhp fibre if their area has had fibre for a while and they don't have any telephone or broadband services already. This includes former broadband customers with the "mailshot" on their account.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

If Sky does decide to reduce the price of their Fibre products, which would be very welcome by everyone, it is unlikely that they would let the cat out of the bag a allow the information to leak out too early.

At the moment, as bubblegun has pointed out, there are some deals for the 40/10 product, but nothing for the 80/20 product.

Like jrfer I too had a very bad experience with BT and would never touch them again. Whilst PlusNet is owned by BT, they customer services are currently separatem so my own issues should be different if I went to them.

TalkTalk has always had a bad reputation for customer services, so I would never go there. I also have issues with data protection and the fact that both BT and TalkTalk rely on having their call centres outside the UK is an issue for me for this reason.

Having said all that, Sky does currently have a good reputation for their customer services. Sure it isn't 100% perfect and you will find people who are upset with it, but Sky has consistently been placed 1st or 2nd in Ofcom's survey over the past couple of years.

However IMHO sky does need to also improve the router which they send out to their customers. As more people are connecting and more devices are being used within the home, relying solely on a 100mb LAN system and a WiFi which only works on a single channel at no more than 144mbps is not good. Preventing knowledgeable people from tweaking settings such as Quality of Service (i.e. prioritise different type of traffic), the inability to change the DNS server settings and the lack of parental controls are just some of the issues which are disappointing.
      speedyrite, jrfer and KingfisherUK like this.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      However IMHO sky does need to also improve the router which they send out to their customers. As more people are connecting and more devices are being used within the home, relying solely on a 100mb LAN system and a WiFi which only works on a single channel at no more than 144mbps is not good. Preventing knowledgeable people from tweaking settings such as Quality of Service (i.e. prioritise different type of traffic), the inability to change the DNS server settings and the lack of parental controls are just some of the issues which are disappointing.
      Am I mis-remembering?

But wasn't Sky's original reason for only doing single channel wireless 'N' that it would cause problems in flats where there were several Sky broadband connections close to each other and bonded channels would mean that all the connections would be unreliable due to them all blocking multiple channels?

Did they state this publicly or was it just internal or was it just my imagination?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      Did they state this publicly or was it just internal or was it just my imagination?
      I can't remember either, but the argument kind of went out the window when BT released their HHv4, followed by the newest VM router and a few months later the router from TalkTalk.

Some laptops and some tablets utilise the paired channel approach with their respective WiFi. Sure there are many which only support a single channel at the most, butit does help to have the better connection.

Sky's routers also only support the 2.4GHz frequency, something else which they are missing out on.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I can't remember either, but the argument kind of went out the window when BT released their HHv4, followed by the newest VM router and a few months later the router from TalkTalk.

Some laptops and some tablets utilise the paired channel approach with their respective WiFi. Sure there are many which only support a single channel at the most, butit does help to have the better connection.

Sky's routers also only support the 2.4GHz frequency, something else which they are missing out on.
      My house must now be a problem to live near - I now have 4 2.4Ghz connections AND a 5Ghz connection from the Sky Router and the VM Superhub.
      Scubbie likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast