Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

High pings after 8pm

This is a discussion on High pings after 8pm within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sorry for the delay. I've picked up your post in the mod queue. Sorry about that. I saw a response ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: High pings after 8pm

Sorry for the delay. I've picked up your post in the mod queue. Sorry about that.

I saw a response in the area where I ask about your exchange and can confirm that your call from Sky is sadly correct. As for the date, this is subject to change and tends to be on the night, so things should start to improve on the 26th at the earliest. I would suggest that it may take a few days to get it all back to where it should be.

In the mean time the Quality Monitor should help to show things too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Masai is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-N66U
      Thanks

Just a quick update... I had a call on Wed the 15th from sky in response to the email I sent them which was good of them. The guy I spoke to confirmed it was congestion related and said it was due to be upgraded on the 16th, the next day. He said to give it a week as Openreach are usually around a week late in fixing things and to call back when its sorted so I can be compensated for the inconvenience. I thought that was really good of sky to be so proactive. In fact when I've had an minor issues in the past they have been really good. Thumbs up to sky!

My graph on think broadband is still red, not sure why. My IP address hasn't changed.

Thanks again Scubbie for looking into my problem

Thanks

No problem Masai.

For the record the information we get through the source often gives us the actual planned date, but I have to refrain from posting that on the forums as it could change.

Also the work is normally carried out on the night of <insert date here> which means that you won't know until the following evening and even then it can take a few days to settle down with the systems tweaking everything.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

nort00 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Canonbury (CLCAN)
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi, I'm new here and not sure whether to post here or as a new thread.

I'm suffering the same high pings, and about 200k throughput at best between 8-10pm as well. According to the Samknows website I'm on the Canonbury exchange. Have phoned Sky and they have acknowledged its a congestion issue and should be fixed by early Feb.

Whats the best way to confirm which exchange?

Thanks

Thanks

The SamKnows site is normally quite reliable. If you are on the border or in an area where you might be on one of two or more exchanges, then check the BT Openreach site as well. I would suggest that the "Where and When" page is a good one.

SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

Where and when - Superfast Fibre Broadband

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

If you could get an update from Sky as to when the congestion issue on my exchange (New Southgate/ LNNWS) is likely to be resolved please, that would be greaat.
      It was supposed to have been sorted last week but Im still having issue's in the evenning.

I got the graph working! - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...22-01-2014.png

Thanks as always.

Thanks

I am sorry that that date has been missed.

Checking the thread and it appears that mid-February is the current expected resolution time-frame for your exchange.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for checking Scubbie. I just phoned sky about another issue with our TV and asked about the congestion issue and was told it is to be resolved on the 29th of Jan but he said that date is not definite and may be changed again. Interestingly the sky exchange checker shows as no problems on my exchange.

Is this a Sky issue or an Openreach issue? So if I was with BT or Plusnet would I still be affected by congestion. I have confidence in sky and am really impressed with their CS team, always polite and helpful. Fingers crossed it'll get sorted soon!
      Last edited by Masai; 23-01-14 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks

Sky rent/own their own backhaul services from the exchanges to their servers.

Whilst Sky may rent trunk cabling from Openreach, VM and others, it will normally only be their network affected in a specific exchange.

However, it would be fair to say that other ISPs may experience similar issues in the same exchange at similar times. All the major ISPs are having to increase their network capacity at something like 35% per year just to cope with the current growth pattern.

I do not get information on what specific changes will be applied to each exchange. It could be that a new cable needs to be installed or it could be that Sky needs to buy more bandwidth from a commercial supplier. That supplier may in turn need to arrange for the connections to be routed to Sky's kit and the kit in turn updated to send traffic down the new connection. They may also need to get more trunk cables installed in the exchange and further down the trunk route.

For now all I know is when the work is planned to take place in a specific exchange and that it doesn't always go through first time, although the aim is for it to be fixed promptly on the first or earliest possible chance.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Masai (24-01-14)

DecoyBeacon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LVCHI
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Hey Scubbie if you catch this, i dont suppose there is any way to check if work was completed or not? I know its only been 2-3 days but so far we're not seeing any improvements at all, infact sunday was one of the worst days yet, today is shaping up to be one of the worst yet too, ever since i had the date of the 25th its been getting worse and worse to the point we can't even properly watch youtube or any streaming stuff (including sky services), getting a bit tedious .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast