Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Port Forwarding to Sky SR101

This is a discussion on Port Forwarding to Sky SR101 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Good morning, Can anyone help please. I'll try and keep this brief. Question - Would like to use Billion 7300N ...

steveyg_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whittlesey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Port Forwarding to Sky SR101

Good morning,

Can anyone help please. I'll try and keep this brief.

Question - Would like to use Billion 7300N router alongside SR101, as I can control internet usage etc.

Setup - Sky Fibre Unlimited. SR101 with BT modem.

Background - Unable to use 7300n in place of SR101, as it doesn't support MER authentication.

Proposed setup - BT modem to SR101. SR101 then forwards all traffic to 7300N say 192.168.0.250 then otherside of 7300 have a 10.80.0.x on 255.255.254.0 subnet. Gateway for internal 10.80.0.254 that can then handle all internet traffic and restrict If need be.

Regards,

Steve

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Port Forwarding to Sky SR101

There is no reason why what you suggest should not work. Just make sure the IP address of the Billion is in the DMZ of the 101, to avoid firewall conflicts and connect it as a Cable router.. This may give you an idea of what is required - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

steveyg_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whittlesey
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There is no reason why what you suggest should not work. Just make sure the IP address of the Billion is in the DMZ of the 101, to avoid firewall conflicts and connect it as a Cable router.. This may give you an idea of what is required - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html
      thank you for getting back to me. The link shows how to create a wif link (bridge) between routers; am I not correct?

Also the 7300n is only an ADSL router, so I guess this won't work.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

No the 2 routers require to be connected by ethernet, not wireless. It shows specifically how to connect a Dlink cable router to a Sky router to create a new network, but the same applies to all cable routers although the page settings may be different.

Looking at this review it suggests it can be used for either ADSL or Cable.
      Billion BiPAC 7300N review | Expert Reviews

This from Billion confirms it can be used as a cable router,
      http://www.billion.com/product/wirel...nd-router.html

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.