Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree2Likes

Help needed: HomePlug or WiFi Extender

This is a discussion on Help needed: HomePlug or WiFi Extender within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've had the Booster for about a week now, and to be totally honest I can't say it's any better ...

dasmith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHAX 01904
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Help needed: HomePlug or WiFi Extender

I've had the Booster for about a week now, and to be totally honest I can't say it's any better ! I've ended up putting another cabled WAP in the loft which gives a far better signal around the house.

2. Advertisement
      simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dasmith View Post
      I've had the Booster for about a week now, and to be totally honest I can't say it's any better ! I've ended up putting another cabled WAP in the loft which gives a far better signal around the house.
      Where did you locate your booster because my parent's one works very well?

The problem at their house is the hub is over one side of the house and there was no wifi in the lounge which is diagonally opposite, so I stuck the booster in the hallway near the lounge and bingo, a decent signal at last.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dasmith View Post
      Couldn't you have put the Booster on the end of that cable instead of buying another device?

dasmith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHAX 01904
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      Couldn't you have put the Booster on the end of that cable instead of buying another device?
      Yes I suppose I could have done that, but I'd imagine the AP I put in is better than the Sky Booster.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

The Booster would not work at the end of an Ethernet cable connected to the router. It must be connected via WiFi to the router.

However, you can connect a satellite group of devices via an Ethernet cable to the Booster and they in turn will be able to access the router via the Booster's WiFi. Of course you would need to use a Network Switch for this purpose.

As for whether the Booster works well of not in some homes, it all comes down to the individual circumstances. WiFi by its very nature cannot pass through every wall/floor/ceiling and experiences will vary.

Placing a WAP in the loft is a good solution in many instances as the loft isn't normally that difficult for WiFi to pass from to the rooms directly under it. Of course not everyone can do this as the WAP will need electric and an Ethernet cable connected to the router (HomePlugs can help here). Also you must ensure that all the devices are clear of any combustible material, such as the Fibre Glass insulation. Remember too that in some homes you may get some wildlife which could knock any device over.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The Booster would not work at the end of an Ethernet cable connected to the router. It must be connected via WiFi to the router.
      There was a suggestion in the staff training material that you could do this however staff don't have these devices yet so it's just guess work as to the boosters capabilities. You can apparently set them up via the ethernet cable if you don't have a WPS button on your router.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Yes you can connect a computer directly via an Ethernet cable. The Booster will act as a DNS server and provide an IP Address for this purpose.

Rather than worry about the IP Address of the Booster, you can simply type 'skywirelessbooster.local' in your browser's address line.

However the Booster needs to send anything for the router via the WiFi.

I just tried the following and it failed:

• Disabled the WiFi on the WNDR3800
      • Connect the Booster via an Ethernet cable to a network switch

The Booster failed to broadcast a WiFi signal that could be picked up. The WiFi LED blinked as the booster attempted to find my router.

When I enabled the WiFi on the WNDR3800 I got an 'IP Address conflict' error.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12