Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

ASUS RT-AC66U Router Installed - Sky Fibre Now 30% Slower

This is a discussion on ASUS RT-AC66U Router Installed - Sky Fibre Now 30% Slower within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I put the router back on pre-last message, but as stated earlier, the speeds seem to take approx 7-14 days ...

Juice370 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: ASUS RT-AC66U
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: ASUS RT-AC66U Router Installed - Sky Fibre Now 30% Slower

I put the router back on pre-last message, but as stated earlier, the speeds seem to take approx 7-14 days to come back up to expected speeds, after disconnecting the router or modem - in my experience pre and post fibre. I live the furthest from the exchange and pre fibre my speed was 1.5Mbps tops. It gave me a lot of hassle.

To reiterate, the speed dropped immediately upon installing the ASUS router. Coincidence? I'm a car spark so I fully understand how temperamental electronics can be, but the fact the speed dropped as soon as I set up the ASUS, suggests it didn't like the new router for whatever reason. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sky are are calling Monday to fix it. But if and when the speed increases back up to 30Mbps and I then subsequently re-connect the ASUS router, if it then drops down 10Mpbs + again then, we've learned nothing as to why the speeds are dropping - which is what I wanted to establish.

I'll see what the engineer can suggest, but ideally I don't want to mention the ASUS router.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Disconnecting the router and reconnecting it should have no effect on DLM. The line management stops at the modem, anything after that is irrelevant. Only if you disconnect or reboot the Modem frequently will DLM kick in. If the fault is not on the line connecting the Sky router should return your speed immediately, which is why I suggested this in the first place.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

So I re-connected the Sky router as per your suggestion and yet nobody has answered the initial question, of why did connecting the ASUS router knock the speed down? Essentially we've learned nothing up to this point.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

As I've said before (twice, now)

The router should have *NO* impact on your line speed. The line speed is governed by the BT Openreach modem.

Maybe you disturbed the power to the BTO modem when swapping over to the Asus? Power outages to the modem are lethal for DLM.

I'm pretty damn sure I should be getting 72Mb out of my line, but over Xmas I'm sure mine got turned off and now I'm back down to my usual speed of 62Mbit.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

So I re-connected the Sky router as per your suggestion
      So what happened to your speed, did it go back up?

If it did then something is wrong with the setup on the Asus. I suppose there is a chance that there is a compatibility problem with the chipsets in the Asus and the modem, but nobody else has reported this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

No change in speed with Sky Router, it remained the same and the Sky admin said the up-time was 93 hours.

The Openreach engineer called today. Incidentally Sky support phoned after the engineer had submitted the case notes, and he said not to trust the SpeedTest.net results, apparently they are way below reality. Q: Is this right?

Apparently the DLM had activated post ASUS router install, mid December as a result of a line error between ground floor and 2nd floor (my apartment). Even though over the last 5 years (Pre-Fibre), I've had easily 10 plus engineer visits - because the best BB speed I could get was averaging 1.5-2Mbps and this gave me a lot of cr*p - they never once said there were errors on the line within the builsing, only that the drop was present between ground floor and my master socket on the 2nd Floor. I'd heard that once or twice before from the engineers.

Today the speed at ground level is 40Mbps and at the master it's 30Mbps. The engineer phoned Sky and apparently set the Download at just below 30Mbps and the Upload at 6Mbps to stabilise the line. SpeedTest.net right now gives 24.5Mbps Download and 3Mbps Upload and this is with the ASUS router connected. 3Mbps is pretty pants though.

Apparently the only way to get a stable and full speed Fibre is to run an external cable. The builder of this block went bust in 2012 so I'm more than happy for this to be arranged! It's the least of my worries with the hassle I've had since 2008 when I first joined Sky.

Q: Is it worth getting them to drop the download to about 25 to gain a small increase on the upload?

Thanks for your continued input. And my disclaimer is, I'd never heard of DLM until you mentioned it in a post above.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Juice370 View Post
      I turned off the modem when setting up the router, so it could be that.
      Quote Originally Posted by Juice370 View Post
      Essentially we've learned nothing up to this point.
      Haven't we learned that its best not to turn the modem off ?

I've been doing some electrical work recently and although I tried to avoid turning off the modem I tripped the RCD so it went off.

For me its taken up to 2 weeks before things return to normal, the speed returns pretty quick but its the pings that take the longest.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      Haven't we learned that its best not to turn the modem off ?
      In an ideal world. But as in my case, if the Sky modem and 3rd Party router don't sync when setting up the new router/Merlin firmware. Then from what I read, the modem has to be disconnected and connected last! Everything else went to plan.

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      For me its taken up to 2 weeks before things return to normal, the speed returns pretty quick but its the pings that take the longest.
      And after 4 weeks, then what?

Today SpeedTest.net results: 18Mbps Down and 5Mbps Up. I guess an external line is the only fix.

The moral of the story is, don't buy an existing apartment/house built by B&D Croft, nor if they rise from the dead to build more (now trading as NOA Solutions Ltd selling Solar Panels and such like). From the myriad of things that are faulty in this building/my apt., - including the TV aerial from living room to bedroom which had a screw put through it at the main TV/Lounge plate - which meant installing an aerial in the loft (not really a loft just beams all over the place), because B&D wouldn't fix the cable nor would permit an external aerial. Lovely company to deal with.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Openreach refuse to run an external cable on apartments so I'm fecked. End of story.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123