Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Will Sky build a better hub than the SR102?

This is a discussion on Will Sky build a better hub than the SR102? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by jrfer ...IMO .... They don't go to the expense of supplying free routers out of the goodness ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Will Sky build a better hub than the SR102?

Quote Originally Posted by jrfer View Post
      ...IMO .... They don't go to the expense of supplying free routers out of the goodness of their hearts when a cheapo modem can suffice and be easier to support.
      If you look at what routers are now shipped out for new customers of all the ISPs and compare these with what was supplied 5, 6, or 7 years ago, the improvements are definitely there.

Most of these improvements are down to standards being improved upon (i.e. WiFi b, and g replaced with WiFi n and WiFi n now being replaced with WiFi n & ac) and components becoming cheaper.

The processors used within the routers have also improved, along with the memory.

Sadly though in many cases for the ISPs their respective GUIs have not significantly improved IMHO, but then I haven't seen the GUI on the latest offerings from VM, BT and TT.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Sky also don't exactly do themselves any favours either. Launching their new wireless extender for example, what's that all about if it doesn't shout out 'we know our routers are crap so we are giving you one of these to improve it'.

Thanks

Whether it is the BT HomeHub v5, VM SuperHub, Netgear R6300 or Sky Hub SR102, each router has a limited distance that it will work over. Otherwise I coud use my router's WiFi whilst walking around Edinburgh.

The WiFi range of the Sagem 2504N, Sky Hub SR101 & SR102 routers is more or less equal to any other WiFi n router, although some of the latest do go a little further now.

The real issue with the Sky routers is their WiFi speed and lack of some specific functionality.

WiFi ac does not travel as far as WiFi n, but it offers more potential in the form of more channels and potentially faster speeds.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

When Sky launched they did so by providing one of the best routers available at the time, the Netgear DG834GT Super G. Unfortunately since then they have gone backwards, each new router being behind the competition's offerings. The SR102 is actually still in Beta testing, although there is little new firmware can do to improve the basic specs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I still don't understand the lack of Gigabit Ethernet.

jrfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sadly though in many cases for the ISPs their respective GUIs have not significantly improved IMHO, but then I haven't seen the GUI on the latest offerings from VM, BT and TT.
      I have only seen VM's and Sky's GUI and I have to grudgingly admit VM's offering GUI wise blows Sky's out of the water.

Although the VM GUI is much better unfortunately lots of the options just do not work as expected and it has much the same DNS and DynDNS niggles as Sky's effort

The VM SH1 or 2 has one redeeming feature however. It has a dedicated "Modem Mode" option which allows the painless connection of any cable modem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
      I still don't understand the lack of Gigabit Ethernet.
      Me neither. I can't imagine that the cost difference is that large and to include Gbit Ethernet ports on the router would allow many existing and other newer Ethernet based devices to be supported.

Quote Originally Posted by jrfer View Post
      I have only seen VM's and Sky's GUI and I have to grudgingly admit VM's offering GUI wise blows Sky's out of the water...
      The GUI on the Sky routers hasn't really changed much.

I am familiar with the Netgear firmwares and the current Netgear Genie system is a lot tidier than the design used previously.

As for too many options, it is a simple process to have the basic or common options which most people can handle in one group, with the more advanced settings in the other. This keeps the inexperienced novice away from completely messing up their router (hopefully) as they will hopefully see the word "Advanced" and be wary of making any changes there. Of course not everyone pays attention to that and they will try things out.

As for the Modem Mode to allow you to use any old Cable router, this is something that I think people woud appreciate on the Sky Hub SR102 more than anything else. It might also be appreciated on other Sky routers as it would mean that ADSL customers could simply use any old Cable router there too.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Nobody's mentioned QOS yet.

It's quite important for gamers, where others are using the same connection.

Isn't it?

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Not really, no.

QoS is a sticky tape solution to low bandwidth. There's really no need for QoS on lines that are 10+ Mbps if there is no heavy downloading going on.

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pfSense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

I bought a tp-link cheap router for 29 quid from Argos that blows sky's out of water and has everything I need. Later I'll upgrade to a 60 quid one with gigabit ports if my fttc ever gets the pro service available of speeds increase for the the other reasons they are trying. Just don't get me started about how much I don't like Sky, BUT compared to the other alternatives they are ok.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast