Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Fibre Pro Slow over wireless

This is a discussion on Fibre Pro Slow over wireless within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by LawAb1d1ng its a Broadcom 802.11n Adaptor and says 72Mbps, not sure if this is the current speed ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: Fibre Pro Slow over wireless

Quote Originally Posted by LawAb1d1ng View Post
      its a Broadcom 802.11n Adaptor and says 72Mbps, not sure if this is the current speed or the max speed of the adaptor?
      Which specific Broadcom adaptor is it? Once you have this information google the model and look up the specifications.

A lot of laptops in the shops fo not support the full connection speed of 144mbps on a single channel. The adaptor may connect at up to 150mbps, but this will be on a paired channel.

I strongly suspect that this may be an issue. At best you can expect the throughput to be around half what the connection speed is with WiFi.

If this is the case with your adaptor then you need to consider whether to upgrade it. Ideally you should have an adaptor that supports up to 300mbps on a paired channel. This will support the 144mbps on the single channel. If you go for one that supports 450mbps on a triple channel then you will need to fit an additional aerial.
      Molten Gold likes this.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

LawAb1d1ng (10-12-13)

3. Advertisement
      LawAb1d1ng is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Molten Gold View Post
      Could you post a screenshot if that's possible?
      As requested:

Fibre Pro Slow over wireless-6de5.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Which specific Broadcom adaptor is it? Once you have this information google the model and look up the specifications.

A lot of laptops in the shops fo not support the full connection speed of 144mbps on a single channel. The adaptor may connect at up to 150mbps, but this will be on a paired channel.

I strongly suspect that this may be an issue. At best you can expect the throughput to be around half what the connection speed is with WiFi.

If this is the case with your adaptor then you need to consider whether to upgrade it. Ideally you should have an adaptor that supports up to 300mbps on a paired channel. This will support the 144mbps on the single channel. If you go for one that supports 450mbps on a triple channel then you will need to fit an additional aerial.
      How do I check, all I can see is Broadcom 802.11n Network Adaptor, this is under device manager/

Molten Gold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdeen Lochnagar
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Under device manager, it should ideally tell you the model. But what Scubbie said is accurate.

72Mbps is your link speed, half of 144Mbps which sky can theoretically provide and you'll get half or less than half that over a congested channel/single channel etc. So the speed you're getting at the moment is perfectly acceptable.

I believe the issue lies with your internal card which needs an upgrade and the routers are fine, albeit not the fastest.

Get a good PCI express card which supports a minimum of 300mbps (ideally 900mbps if you plan on upgrading the router later) which will cost between 15 - 25 and that'll solve your problem.

Mystery Solved

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Molten Gold For This Useful Post:

LawAb1d1ng (10-12-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Fibre Pro Slow over wireless-v0iz.jpg

Not sure if the above image is anymore helpful?

I do now suspect its the internal adaptor!

My laptop doesnt have a PCI express so I would be looking at a Nano USB receive to replace my internal?

I bought this for my dad when his internal wireless card went dead:

Buy TP Link Nano USB N150 Wireless Adaptor at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Wireless networking accessories.

This claims to be 150Mbps, before i bought anything, if I tried this on my laptop what sort of speed should I expect?

Thanks

Nope. Still doesn't seem to mention the adaptor model, not that it matters anymore.

How about PCI if you don't have PCI express?

Something like TP-Link TL-WN951N 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter or TP Link TL-WN751ND 150 Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter . The first one is definitely the better option though.

If you get the full 150Mbps instead of the 72 you're getting now, I'd expect your speed to atleast be double of what you're getting now.

Scan networks around you using inssider, always select N-only (might have compatibility issues with b and g devices though that's pretty rare) and try to get a 5Ghz router + adaptor combo. Your fibre connection deserves it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Molten Gold For This Useful Post:

LawAb1d1ng (10-12-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry its a Lenovo Z580 Laptop not Desktop, so no slots at all just USB port, unless I am missing something?

I use insiider now to select the channels, when you say select "N" only, I guess you mean within the Sky Hub settings and the D-Link settings? And it shouldnt cause issues to devices which use b and g?

Its looks like the Sky Hub and DIR-615 do not have 5Ghz!

Thanks

Until you open up the system and install a new whitelisted by Lenovo wifi card which you can buy from ebay etc. your only option would be a USB adaptor.

Yep. If you select compatibility mode, any b or g devices will slow down the speed considerably. So it's a big no-no for me. However, most modern devices support N so shouldn't be a problem.

Actually, try N only (no b or g compatibility mode) before buying a new adaptor and keep an eye on the link speed to see if that increases. Maybe an older device (b or g only) connected to wifi is slowing everything down.

None of the routers you mentioned have 5Ghz.

Exchange:
      Thanks

You have been a great help ! I have changed to "N" only already, and will see tomorrow if anyone complains about the connection!

I will also try my dads 150Mbps USB before buying another USB to see if that improves things as well, if it does, then probaly invest in a N300 USB receiver for the laptop !

Will update, on how I get on !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LawAb1d1ng View Post
      You have been a great help ! I have changed to "N" only already, and will see tomorrow if anyone complains about the connection!

I will also try my dads 150Mbps USB before buying another USB to see if that improves things as well, if it does, then probaly invest in a N300 USB receiver for the laptop !

Will update, on how I get on !
      No problem and all the best

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Woooooh!

Before purchasing ANYTHING you need to establish what you have. There are a variety of specs for the PCI Express WiFi adaptors and not all will fit in every laptop.

As previously mentioned a 450mbps adpator (and the 900mbps adaptors) will be totally unsiotable unless you have a third aerial (personal experience!).

So first you need to see if you can identify what card you have...

Sometimes you can gain safe and easy access to where your WiFi adaptor is, whilst others make it very difficult.

So first what computer is it that you have? (make and model in full please, not serial number)

From there we can attempt to find the manual and check which page shows where the adaptor is located, provided that there is an easy access panel.

If this can be done then you can confirm which adaptor you have.

My current favourite is the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235, however I know that this will not work is all laptops. You may need to stick with an Atheros or Broadcom model.

An alternative would be to find a local Laptop repair service and get them to do the work. It should cost around 20-40 for labour and ~10-30 for the adaptor.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast