Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Is Sky reducing my Sky Fibre Download speed?

This is a discussion on Is Sky reducing my Sky Fibre Download speed? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just did a check on Sky.com against address. yet I am still paying for Pro speed which according to their ...

fhaneef is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Langley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: All packs+Movie
      Thanks

Re: Is Sky reducing my Sky Fibre Download speed?

Just did a check on Sky.com against address.

Is Sky reducing my Sky Fibre Download speed?-screen-shot-2013-12-10-11.46.57.jpg

yet I am still paying for Pro speed which according to their own estimates I now cannot get and BT have confirmed to me that I will get 68.1MB

2. Advertisement
      Crashst3r is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Taunton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I've spoke to sky about this too, as bt say i can get same speeds as you 68.1/20 on clean install but sky say max i could get on pro is 46 meg, even plus net shows me in the 50's.. Think sky need to update their systems

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It looks like something is wrong somewhere. Sky should be using exactly the same information to provide the speed estimate, so the figures should be much the same. It looks like Sky may be basing their estimate on what other users at your post code have, ie, your present speed.

What you do is up to you, you can either ask Sky to drop your package back to standard fibre or leave and go to BT. It is entirely possible that BT have their estimate wrong and will find they cannot supply the speed they have quoted. You could also try getting estimates from a couple of other suppliers, TalkTalk, Plusnet etc.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I checked Talktalk and plusnet, all estimates came higher then sky's but less then BT's.

I called BT to confirm that their estimates would be accurate and they confirmed to me yes that's what I will be able to achieve.

Sky is looking into why my speed has dropped and will come back to me today with a reason. If this is due to congestions on the line which I think it is then I will move to BT who are managing the problem better IMO

Crashst3r is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Taunton
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

When i had the chat with sky, i said it was baffling how plusnet and bt both offered faster speeds, and i asked is it cause their systems aint upto date, my reply was "they use bt's database" and thats what the line can handle. Make no sense how they are the only ones showing the slower speeds.. Plus since bt have boosted the lines (on bt wholesale is used to say 46.1 i could get) since that was update end of Novemeber its showing i can get at max 22 on what i was originally quoted

But as we all know sky are slow at updating their systems

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If this is due to congestions on the line which I think it is then I will move to BT who are managing the problem better IMO
      Congestion would not cause your sync speed to reduce, you would be syncing at a high speed but find that your actual throughput was reduced. Its not congestion. I have an idea there is a fault on your line between your old cabinet and the fibre cabinet. This would not show up on a normal line check.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

With reference to this in post 11:

That estimate is just for standard fibre.
      I don't think sky are even able to provide an estimate for fibre pro online are they?

Thanks

yes they are.... my first estimate came with the option of pro but you had to call them to order pro vs buying online.

Thanks

OK I spoke with Sky at length, they described what is the problem and explained what might be happening.

They told me my line sits in Bands, this is made up of the quality of the line, number of connections and the capacity the cabinets can handle. Since my initial estimate my line has dropped a band - i.e. from Band A to Band B.

This in effect is caused by reaching capacity as more people connect to fibre the more drop I will see in my connection. It stands for reason as I believe I was one of the first to connect with Fibre and I had a stable connection of 64MB for a long period of time. Only recently my connecting has started falling to a point where it is less then 40MB and in Sky's own admission believe my line now cannot handle 40MB. They have even offered to downgrade me to Sky unlimited as pro is not applicable to me anymore.

The question why plus net, talk talk and BT all have higher estimated speed well they said that's for them to answer as they only go with the information that they have.

They are sending out an engineer to run a line test to check everything is as it should be but I will check with BT again to confirm that I can achieve 68.1MB if I switch to them.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Hmm, their speed & availability check pages have changed.

I always used to get the 40.0 - 40.0 estimate, with the note advising to phone about pro.
      Now i get the same result as you, with no mention of pro.

Using the address check at BT's wholesale checker here i get the following results:

FTTC Range A (Clean) Downstream high 80 low 69.8 Upstream high 20 low 20 Available
      FTTC Range B (Impacted) Downstream high 79.9 low 53.8 Upstream 20 low 19 Available

*edit
      The other BT checker here shows 80/20 using my address & 69.8/20 using my neighbours BT phone number.
      Last edited by gymno; 10-12-13 at 03:56 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast