Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Sky Fibre 80/20 and 2 Xboxes

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre 80/20 and 2 Xboxes within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My son and I have an Xbox each and have been playing FIFA 14 UT using UPnP but seem to ...

stevvi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Fibre 80/20 and 2 Xboxes

My son and I have an Xbox each and have been playing FIFA 14 UT using UPnP but seem to get disconnected quite a lot with the associated losing the game, even when winning, and subsequent reduced coins (my son just played 1 minute of a game and got disconnected etc.)

I am currently in discussion with EA about this and they have stated: I need to open the relevant ports so "that all the game resources would be available." I'm assuming they are saying that UPnP isn't up to the job but that's another matter.

Does anyone here have a "best configuration" for my situation? Can I put one Xbox in a DMZ and use port forwarding for the other? I've trawled the net for answers but seem to be going round in circles. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx.

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Sky Fibre 80/20 and 2 Xboxes

More of a playstation man myself, but yes - all the advice i've ever read regarding 2 consoles in the same household suggests putting one in the DMZ & port forwarding the other.

port forwarding xbox 360
      port forwarding sky hub

Personally, i'd recommend disabling UPnP on a console that's using an alternative method to open ports.
      Although rare, i believe it has been known to interfere.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

stevvi (07-12-13)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Since you are using 2 Xbox 360s on the one connection, setting up port forwarding would be pointless. It would only be good for one Xbox 360.

UPnP should be up to the task for the Sagem 2504N, which is what I assume you have.

If you know someone with a Sky Hub SR101 you could try borrowing it to see if it is any better.

How are you connecting both Xbox 360s to your router? I would suggest that you avoid WiFi and stick to an Ethernet cable. A pair of 500mb or 1Gbit HomePlugs might be alright.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

stevvi (07-12-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanx gymno & Scubbie.

I have a Sagem 2504N. As of last night my son's Xbox is now connected by cable and I've ordered a router switch and cable for mine although I can't see why WiFi shouldn't work when it does just fine with all my son's other online games using UPnP.

Last night I played my son with my Xbox port forwarded and my son's using UPnP. We had a disconnection at the very end of the game with the EA servers reporting I was the one who had lost the connection, which really shouldn't have happened.

Anyway, if everything will work with one box in a DMZ and one port forwarded, I'll give that a go although I'm unaware of any security issues about placing a box in the DMZ.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Again, i know little of XBL, but on PSN the most recent game notorious for connection problems is? FIFA14.

Before that? FIFA13.

Other than that? Any EA game.

So there's no guarantees.
      You won't regret going wired though.

ps Sorry i didn't notice you were using a 2504n.
      Info for port forwarding that is in the first xbox 360 link.

Exchange:
      Thanks

14 seems a lot worse than 13 for me and I only seem to disconnect when I'm winning. Cheers.
      gymno likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

I know many have advised it, but by placing one box in the DMZ and the other with fixed port forwarding doesn't seem logical.

Taken from my SR101
      Default DMZ Server

You should not change these parameters unless you have a specific reason to do so and you are an experienced user. Specifying a Default DMZ Server allows you to set up a computer or server that is available to anyone on the Internet for services that you haven't defined. There are security issues with doing this, so only do this if you're willing to risk open access. If you do not assign a Default DMZ Server, the Sky Router discards any incoming service requests which are undefined. This can be a security problem. You shouldn't check this box unless you have a specific reason to do so.
      So by definition, if you DMZ Xbox #1 and port forward to Xbox #2, then only the port forwarding to Xbox #2 will work. All other ports will automatically be sent to Xbox #1.

From what gymno is suggesting though, the issue is with EA Games and some poorly written code.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I'm not claiming to actually understand it, but i have read several times that the way consoles negotiate NAT isn't exactly logical either.

I've not had any reason to look into it for a long time, but have always kept this bookmarked for just in case:
      Understanding PS3 NAT Types | netnix.org

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      So by definition, if you DMZ Xbox #1 and port forward to Xbox #2, then only the port forwarding to Xbox #2 will work. All other ports will automatically be sent to Xbox #1.

From what gymno is suggesting though, the issue is with EA Games and some poorly written code.
      So I guess that would also mean nothing else could have internet access whilst the Xbox in the DMZ was connected. I think I might just wait for my router switch and cable to arrive

Many thanx to you both.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

So I guess that would also mean nothing else could have internet access whilst the Xbox in the DMZ was connected. I think I might just wait for my router switch and cable to arrive
      No, that will not happen. All your other devices will work OK, it just means your Xbox will accept all requests from the Internet. It will be listening on all ports, not just the ones specified by port forwarding. This is a security risk if you put a PC in the DMZ, there is little risk with a console. If there is, it has not been documented.
      gymno likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast