Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree3Likes

Sky Fibre 80/20 and 2 Xboxes

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre 80/20 and 2 Xboxes within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Regarding security, DMZ is actually endorsed on the official sony playstation forum....

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Sky Fibre 80/20 and 2 Xboxes

Regarding security, DMZ is actually endorsed on the official sony playstation forum.

2. Advertisement
      stevvi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      No, that will not happen. All your other devices will work OK, it just means your Xbox will accept all requests from the Internet. It will be listening on all ports, not just the ones specified by port forwarding. This is a security risk if you put a PC in the DMZ, there is little risk with a console. If there is, it has not been documented.
      So... would Xb1 in the DMZ still be able to receive info via the ports forwarded to Xb2? Would the router know which Xbox to send the data to or is UPnP my only option?

Once again, thank you all for all your help and info.

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Thanks

There is no need for dmz and tbh every time i have tried it on a sky router it hasnt opened up nat

and with two xbox's it doesnt work anyway
      as the first xbox will forward port 3074 which will work fine and doesnt need to be dmz'd
      the second xbox will forward a random port that you cant guess to dmz as its different every time

Upnpd can crash once in a while causing moderate nat but that wouldnt disconnect you
      The sr102 or sr101 will help with this as it has been updated with a newer build upnpd
      not sure about the latest sagem firmware

It will be one of two things

1) people dashboarding as they are loosing happens every time i have played fifa!!
      2) wireless change to wired

I have 4 xbox 360's 3 ps3's 1 xbox one 1 ps4 and they are all fine staying online at the same time all hardwired with a sr102

I would also consider replacing the sagem with a sr101/102 as they update the firmware more often
      but for the best routing i would get a fast openwrt compat router and use that
      but ofc you would have to know what you are doing to set it up

I have a Asus AC-66U and find it nowhere near as good with regard to routing/people being able to join my chat party when they are moderate nat comparted to my tp-link 1043nd with openwrt so went back to the 1043nd until the Asus is compat with openwrt

I get open nat on every device 100% of the time with the latest openwrt builds and minupnpnd
      Last edited by Shonk; 07-12-13 at 05:33 PM.
      Scubbie likes this.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevvi View Post
      So I guess that would also mean nothing else could have internet access whilst the Xbox in the DMZ was connected. I think I might just wait for my router switch and cable to arrive

Many thanx to you both.
      Should work fine, usually connection tracking rules get applied before inbound NAT as otherwise nothing would ever be able to reply to the outgoing request.

DMZ will forward any ports not explicitly forwarded elsewhere to a given device, it's only a secuirty risk if the device itself is vulnerable.

I would however reserve the DHCP lease for the console so you don't have a situation where the lease expires and a PC or something picks it up.

IPv6 will be interesting when all devices on a network will have Internet routable IP's, I hope that anyone deploying IPv6 has sensible default rules on the edge device. (IN this case the modem/router)

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

You know that scene in Robocop, where Clarence walks in on that coke guy with the 2 'ladies', carrying a grenade?

In this thread, i'm one of those ladies.
      Bye.

Exchange:
      Thanks

gymno, many thanx for your input into all of this, as confusing as it is!

dragon2611... I assign static IPs to the consoles when port forwarding etc.

Shonk: In summary, should I just get wired and accept that EA are not telling the whole truth when they say that if someone else disconnects they will get the loss and coin deduction? It's a bit of a downer as this and the blatant handicapping is ruining the game for me.

I won't throw money at a new router as every other device and piece of software works just fine, so assume it's EA's dodgy software and servers that are really to blame.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

I would certainly state that we have had far fewer people complaining of issues with the Sky Hub SR101 with gaming than with the Sagem 2504N.

You may wish to see if you can blag one from Sky.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

stevvi (08-12-13)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I assign static IPs to the consoles when port forwarding etc.
      That's not quite the same as Dragon suggests. If you do not reserve the IP address in the DHCP of the router the address you give the Xbox can still be given to another device. The device itself does not really need a fixed IP, but it is important it is reserved in the Address Reservation list of the router. That way it will not be given out to any other device.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

stevvi (08-12-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That's not quite the same as Dragon suggests. If you do not reserve the IP address in the DHCP of the router the address you give the Xbox can still be given to another device. The device itself does not really need a fixed IP, but it is important it is reserved in the Address Reservation list of the router. That way it will not be given out to any other device.
      Apologies, I have reserved the first 10 IP addresses on my network for devices that need static IPs. I've just unplugged the wife's lighting system to go wired on the Xbox as in a FUT match with my son, 5-5 after extra time, we disconnected whilst I was 2-0 up on pens. We're now both wired. I think it may be just EA are crap though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12