Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SR102 Hub and new connection

This is a discussion on SR102 Hub and new connection within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; After connecting the SR102 Sky Hub this morning at about 7:30 am (very easy install)Ö just after 10 am I ...

sam_skyuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrowebrook
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: TP-Link VR900 ( vdsl2 modem/router )
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

SR102 Hub and new connection

After connecting the SR102 Sky Hub this morning at about 7:30 am (very easy install)Ö just after 10 am I saw the connection status of the Hub go off and about 5 minutes later, when it came back on, I was hooked up to Skyís fibre network

I know that there is a Ďtraining periodí for new fibre connections but at the moment the router is reporting an upload speed of 9999 and download of 39998 which is better than what had been quoted when I signed up for fibre. I know thereís a chance, as things settle down, that those stats might change, but still good results in the early stages.

Setting up and installing the SR102 was very easy and went without a hitch and the nice clear menu and setup interface makes it easy to change any of the settings available. Iíve switched off the Wi-Fi and have plugged in my own router (TP-Link TL-WDR4300) and again, no problems with links to my computers, printers, NAS etc. on my home network.

My only comment really about the SR102 Hub is what Iíd call less than sparkling specs for a modern device.

From the quick look I had as I was turning off the Wi-Fi (my TP-Link router offers dual band Wi-Fi) it didnít have N rated Wi-Fi, only the old standard G type and the LAN ports are not gigabit.

Although both of these things are not an issue as such for me because Iím using my own router, I think gigabit LAN and at least wireless ĎNí these days is pretty standard so itís a bit of a surprise not to see them in the SR102.

Iím pleased to be finally running on fibre broadband after many years on about 5 Megs ADSL and other than the points I raised about the specs of the SR102, the whole process so far has been fine with a very easy setup and install with the new Sky Fibre Hub

2. Advertisement
      Crashst3r is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Taunton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: SR102 Hub and new connection

Just so you know the SR102 is actually wireless "N", just because in the options it don't state, when its set to auto then wireless "N" is selected.. I have to agree on the gigabit ports and it not having the dual band, we made a point in the beta of it that the specs ain't up to scratch of current competitors..
      Last edited by Crashst3r; 06-12-13 at 02:32 PM. Reason: typo

sam_skyuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrowebrook
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: TP-Link VR900 ( vdsl2 modem/router )
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: SR102 Hub and new connection

Quote Originally Posted by Crashst3r View Post
      Just so you know the SR102 is actually wireless "N", just because in the options it don't state, when its set to auto then wireless "N" is selected.. I have to agree on the gigabit ports and it not having the dual band, we made a point in the beta of it that the specs ain't up to scratch of current competitors..
      Hi.... thanks for the reply and info.

It's good that the SR102 at least has N wireless (all noted about 'Auto' mode actually selecting N Wi-Fi) but it is a bit of a surprise that the specs of this new Hub are not what might be described as the 'norm' at this time.

My TP-Link router works fine with the hub and offers the faster Lan ports and dual band (concurrent) Wi-Fi but for anyone who will be just using the SR102 on it's own, the specs are not the best ;-)

Cheers