Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router options

This is a discussion on Router options within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've finally had my cabinet upgraded (3 years behind the rest of the village!) and immediately jumped on the phone ...

lwsrbrts is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Router options

I've finally had my cabinet upgraded (3 years behind the rest of the village!) and immediately jumped on the phone to Sky to order my upgrade to Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro.

I currently have a Netgear WNDR4500 (v1) running DD-WRT and a Draytek Vigor 120 modem providing me with Sky Broadband Unlimited.

After ordering Sky Fibre Unlimited, I realised I'd be unlucky enough to receive a wires only connection with an SR102 router, which worries me as it likely won't have the flexibility I require. After endless amounts of reading, I have a couple of options to explore and wondered if those with the hardware might offer guidance?

Option 1 - Replace only the Vigor 120 with a VDSL/OpenReach modem
      My ideal scenario here is to replace the Vigor 120 and keep my WNDR4500 without too much fiddling. As such, I decided to go ahead and order an ECI OpenReach modem off ebay.
      Firstly, would the ECI even work since, as far as Sky is concerned, they only provisioned wires? Secondly, would it just be a matter of effectively replacing my Vigor 120 with the ECI and fiddling with the appropriate authentication config commands on the WNDR4500?
      I've since read in a couple of places that the OpenReach modems don't hand off an actual public routable IP address, instead handing off a hard coded 192.168.1.1 to the WAN interface, is that true? If the WNDR4500 gets 192.168.1.1 on its WAN interface, I'll have some tinkering to do and it'll feel like a dirty installation akin to double-NAT.

Option 2 - New Router
      If option 1 is a non-starter, I'll be looking to replace both the WNDR4500 and Vigor 120 modem with a Billion 7800DXL (does it work on Sky like the 7800N?). If I'm buying a new router, I want it to be a one-box solution so there should be no separate modem at all, just a cable from the faceplate to the router. My expectation is that the VDSL filters I get with the SR102 present an RJ11 socket just like ADSL filters do now so, the connection between the filter/faceplate (being RJ11) and the Billion 7800DXL's DSL port (also RJ11) will be via an RJ11-RJ11 cable just like I have now between the filter/faceplate and my Vigor 120. Is that right?

Option 3 - Use the SR102
      My least favourite option is to keep the SR102 if it can do most of what I want and the wireless signal is strong enough. I find this unlikely though.

If anyone that has a Billion 7800DXL in use on Sky Fibre can photograph its rear (oo er), I'd appreciate it very much!

Thanks for reading.

lwsrbrts

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: Router options

Since you already have DD-WRT installed on the router, I would suggest you go for option 1.

You will need to extract the login details and password from the SR102 which Sky will send you. The instructions for doing this are on this forum.

Next you will need to put the login details and password into your WNDR4500. Again the instructions for this are on this forum.

Edit: Get you yourself a VDSL faceplate too

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

lwsrbrts (05-12-13)

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

option 1 will work. as you said you just need to change the start up config to get the netgear router to gain an ip address (which is not 192.168.1.1) from Sky systems. you will not receive double nat issues. the modem basically invisible on your network.

personally i would have gone for the Huawei modem as its able to be flashed to gain access to its interface via a soft mod but the ECI however requires a hard mod.
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > Ubiquiti UniFi | 58301/12298

6. The Following User Says Thank You to andrewjr For This Useful Post:

lwsrbrts (05-12-13)

lwsrbrts is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks both, I'll get a VDSL faceplate ordered. I have an older "ADSL v1.0" currently and I'm guessing there has been some improvements made since.

Good to know I can avoid the SR102 by using the ECI. I had considered the Huawei modem but I'd read that they tend to overheat so that tells me they aren't very power efficient and the heat will probably help the components to fail sooner too.

I'll use the SR102 as a backup.

Thanks!
      lwsrbrts

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

There used to be heating issues with some of the older revision Huawei modems but BT replaced them and current models are far more reliable. The 3B revision I have gets warm but thats it.
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > Ubiquiti UniFi | 58301/12298