Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Urgent question - Sky Fibre Pro vs Plusnet Unlimited Fibre

This is a discussion on Urgent question - Sky Fibre Pro vs Plusnet Unlimited Fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi folks Would love some help with this one. I only have 24 hours to decide and commit. If you ...

Molten Gold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdeen Lochnagar
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Urgent question - Sky Fibre Pro vs Plusnet Unlimited Fibre

Hi folks

Would love some help with this one. I only have 24 hours to decide and commit.

If you were getting Sky Fibre Pro and the Plusnet Unlimited Fibre for exactly the same price (~ 35 per month), which one would you go for?

My estimated speed is almost the same for clean and impacted line. Weirdly, Plusnet was showing 74Mbps a couple of days back and Sky shows 75.5. Just checked today with Bt Wholesale today and the speeds seem to have gone up. I'm guessing it'll be the same speed in the end, whether I remain with Sky or go with Plusnet?

So, simply put, with the price being equal - SFUP or Plusnet?

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Urgent question - Sky Fibre Pro vs Plusnet Unlimited Fibre

The questions I guess that you need to ask yourself are:

• What are you wanting to use the connection for?
      • Does the routers available on each do what you like or are you happy to use your own router?

There are rumours that PlusNet will be offering the BT YouView service and perhaps BT Sports as a part of their package. Would this interest you?

Both offer UK Call Centres. PlusNet is owned by BT PLC, where Sky Broadband is provided by BSkyB. Both firms have people who like and dislike them.

What about the call packages? Whilst many people no longer use their land line for telephoning other people, it is important for many others. Will the call package be of interest to you and does it do what you would like?

You are already with Sky. There would be no charge for the upgrade, just a change to your monthly bill and a refreshed period of a 12 month contract.

Will switching to PlusNet be painless? Check their forums.

As for the connection speed, both are estimates only. Since both use the same infrastructure the actual speed should be the same, but everyone uses a different multiplier. Seeing that those estimates are high, I would guess that you would get the full 80/20, unless your cabinet is particularly busy anyway.

Are you happy with Sky's service? Do you know others with PlusNet? If so, how do their experiences compare?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Molten Gold (02-12-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The questions I guess that you need to ask yourself are:

• What are you wanting to use the connection for?
      • Does the routers available on each do what you like or are you happy to use your own router?

There are rumours that PlusNet will be offering the BT YouView service and perhaps BT Sports as a part of their package. Would this interest you?

Both offer UK Call Centres. PlusNet is owned by BT PLC, where Sky Broadband is provided by BSkyB. Both firms have people who like and dislike them.

What about the call packages? Whilst many people no longer use their land line for telephoning other people, it is important for many others. Will the call package be of interest to you and does it do what you would like?

You are already with Sky. There would be no charge for the upgrade, just a change to your monthly bill and a refreshed period of a 12 month contract.

Will switching to PlusNet be painless? Check their forums.

As for the connection speed, both are estimates only. Since both use the same infrastructure the actual speed should be the same, but everyone uses a different multiplier. Seeing that those estimates are high, I would guess that you would get the full 80/20, unless your cabinet is particularly busy anyway.

Are you happy with Sky's service? Do you know others with PlusNet? If so, how do their experiences compare?
      Thanks for the helpful reply Scubbie

1. I mainly use the connection for uploading/downloading files from work through vpn, usenet + torrents (once in a while). Total usage in a month is between 200GB - 500GB.

2. I've already changed my router to Asus RT-N66U after extracting the Sky password. For plusnet, I already have the username + pass (PPPoE).

3. The sports package doesn't really interest me too much. Hardly watch live tv anyway.

4. I don't use my landline for calling at all. I only have it since I'm required to for broadband.

Sky wasn't giving me any discount for pro at all so I made the switch to Plusnet with an installation date a week away. Received a call from Sky a couple of hours back offering to match the deal with I'd be getting with Plusnet for 12 months. I'll have to call and cancel the order with Plusnet since only they can cancel the order now for Sky to apply to apply the discount. Also getting to keep the same number which I thought wasn't possible with a Sky to Plusnet switch?

I'm quite happy with Sky atm. Don't really know anyone with Plusnet and keep hearing good things about them. They do have some sort of traffic management but seems people don't really mind it.

I think I had a bit of dlm applied to my line as my upload is 9996kbps as opposed to 10000kbps. If I went in for pro, would the dlm reset as I guess it did with yours (in the hope I get get full speed)?

Plusnet do seem to be quick to reply/sort out issues on their forums etc though. But again, tbh, whenever I've needed help, this forum always came through for me

Thanks

Will Sky honour the reduction next year too or will you have to negotiate with them then? Remember that each firm increases their prices at different times. BT Retail have a price rise soon, check when the next one is planned for PlusNet (PN)

When your speed is increased, it will be done with the new for PN. In the case of Sky you will be advised that it will happen within a few days, but most report that it happens over the first night after the order goes through.

I believe that BT Retail reduce the speed of torrents. I am not sure what PlusNet does. Sky doesn't.

You have obviously managed to get your own router working on Sky's connection, so this will not be an issue for you any more.

Yes PN are fast to respond on their own forums. Sky has recently taken on more on-line staff, but their forums are ever so busy. I hope that you find this 'unofficial' forum friendly.

To be fair it is a difficult decision. You are trying to guess what Sky and PN may do over the next 12 months. There are many stories and rumours floating around and sometimes they do come true. One story being that Sky have been looking to gain access to the Fibre cabinets, allowing them to offer their own connection speeds instead of 40/10 or 80/20 only.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Molten Gold (02-12-13)

Thanks

Think I'll need to negotiate with sky again after 12 months to get the same price. Plusnet had an increase in October to 14.99 so it's unlikely it'll happen again anytime soon.

The Sky fibre team said it'll take 72 hours... but a lot of folks seem to be getting it overnight from what I've read.

Plusnet does not reduce the speed of torrents unless there is someone streaming video/skype'ing etc. Plusnet traffic management policy

Tbh, I find this unofficial forum much more helpful and informative than the Sky forums, and don't see that changing anytime soon.

Gosh this is hard. Guess I'll wait and see if others can chip in with their experience to make it easier for me to decide

On a side note... I ran a couple of speedtests on VPN and this is what I got for London (Structured, Namesco and London Web) over wifi. Surely this can't be right or is my line actually capable of these speeds, available or not and demonstrate throttling by Sky?

Thanks

No problem.

P.S. Only grade A?

I suspect that passing the traffic through the VPN has messed things up a little there, but definitely interesting.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Molten Gold (02-12-13)

markm9 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: SKY fibre max
      Router: Sky Q hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Hi Molten Gold,

Im with Plusnet,and have been for the past 11 months, on there Unlimited Fibre paying 19.99 month, i have never noticed any slow down in speed throughout my time, getting a constant 52 down, and 16 up, PN dont mind you using own router i currently have asus rt-n56u keeping the PN supplied router as a spare (aint the best), on PN forum, you will find any help given by both PN staff, and like sky forum good people with excellent knowldege.

I used to be with sky, adsl, again i had no issues, but they couldnt match PN prices for fibre, Sky 30 month, PN 19.99 month, like Scubbie has commented it is a difficult decision, had sky matched PN prices for Sky Fibre Pro., i may have stayed.
      PN are currently trialling Youview but through staff only, although you can get BT Sports through them if you so wish, good luck in your decision.
      [URL=http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4411733501]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to markm9 For This Useful Post:

Molten Gold (02-12-13)

Thanks

Thanks markm9.

I'm leaning slightly towards Plusnet. However, the traffic management thingy is bothering me. Have you noticed it slowing down the speed on torrents, usenet etc?

markm9 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: SKY fibre max
      Router: Sky Q hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

TBH, no never, i do use torrents occasionally, and both son (gaming and streaming), and daughter (streaming and torrenting), have never complained about any slow down in speed, ive never used usenet dont know what that is sorry, i think its an excellent product PN Unlimited Fibre at an excellent price.
      [URL=http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4411733501]

15. The Following User Says Thank You to markm9 For This Useful Post:

Molten Gold (03-12-13)

mrbish82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Molten Gold View Post
      On a side note... I ran a couple of speedtests on VPN and this is what I got for London (Structured, Namesco and London Web) over wifi. Surely this can't be right or is my line actually capable of these speeds, available or not and demonstrate throttling by Sky?
      Your VPN is probably using some kind of compression, which makes the test file appear to download much quicker. In reality it's still going at around 37mbps.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mrbish82 For This Useful Post:

Molten Gold (03-12-13)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast