Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree2Likes

Urgent question - Sky Fibre Pro vs Plusnet Unlimited Fibre

This is a discussion on Urgent question - Sky Fibre Pro vs Plusnet Unlimited Fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sky use their own Backhaul systems where they have their own kit. Whilst the backhaul may sometimes be fibre from ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Urgent question - Sky Fibre Pro vs Plusnet Unlimited Fibre

Sky use their own Backhaul systems where they have their own kit.

Whilst the backhaul may sometimes be fibre from BTO, Sky use a variety of different providers across the whole country. Sky's traffic will be routed separately to that of the other ISPs.
      Molten Gold likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Molten Gold (05-12-13)

3. Advertisement
      dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Molten Gold View Post
      Yeah. Their phone queue times are definitely longer atm, but they have a very active staff presence on their forum + thinkbroadband. Also, the ticket system works well. I just use the WeQ4U app and forget about it for the next 15-20 mins.

Don't think there would be any difference speedwise really since the backhaul for both is BTW (please correct me if I'm wrong).
      It would depend on where any congestion was present, if the problem was in BTW then no it wouldn't make a difference (Unless you pay for "pro" which supposedly gives elevated priority in BTW) but "other" does get higher priority in plusnet's network

Also calls get answered a Lot quicker

Traffic Management
      Molten Gold likes this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2611 For This Useful Post:

Molten Gold (06-12-13)

ToeKnee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Andover
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      Whoever you go with don't forget to check Quidco/TCB the cashback offers from ISPs can be quite lucrative
      Thanks for the tip dragon. That 100 cashback incentive via Quidco was just too much for me to resist and I signed up for Plusnet Unlimited Fibre and home phone yesterday. Their offer runs out today.

The Quidco site says 12.75 a month for 4 months (and 19.99 afterwards) but after I moved on from Plusnet's Quidco landing page the price dropped to 11.99 a month for 4 months, which is their regular offer price if you go direct to Plusnet.
      An added bonus.

The timing is just right too as my upfront line rental payment with Sky runs out on 25 December and the switch to Plusnet should be on 23 or 24 December.

With Sky ADSL I only get 8Mb/s down on a good day (about 4Mb/s at the moment) and less than 1Mb/s up, so 66Mb/s down and 20 Mb/s up will be a welcome relief. Hopefully I can say goodbye to buffering on Youtube and Sky Go and slow uploads to Skydrive.

I will be staying with Sky for TV however, even though Virgin keep bombarding me with offers in the post every 2 weeks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123