Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Any success in connecting NETGEAR DGND3700 to OpenReach box

This is a discussion on Any success in connecting NETGEAR DGND3700 to OpenReach box within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I didnt intend to change router initially but bought myself a NAS personal cloud and realised how slow ...

Fibre is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Any success in connecting NETGEAR DGND3700 to OpenReach box

Hi all,
      I didnt intend to change router initially but bought myself a NAS personal cloud and realised how slow it is with Sagem, that drives me nuts/

So I bought myself DGND3700 only to find out that its not that easy to use it with sky Fibre as it use to be with regular broadband.

Does anyone have success setting up above mentioned netgear device?
      Also I have a question regarding DD-WRT, if I understood this right then in case of success ill have to redo the procedure every time my router power will shut down or reseted?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Any success in connecting NETGEAR DGND3700 to OpenReach box

Whilst the DGND3700 will connect on a BT Retail fibre connection, it isn't possible to do so with Sky's systems without having the Sky router in use.

Basically you need the router to support opt #61 which Netgear are not cooperating with. Since it has a built-in VDSL modem there is currently no DD-WRT or OpenWRT firmware available, which rules them out.

Only working system:

BTO Modem -> Sagem 2504N -> Netgear DGND3700

By connecting the Ethernet cable from the Sagem to the DGND3700's Ethernet WAN port and placing that external address in the Sagem's DMZ Server setting, all should work fine. This is the arrangement I am using with the Netgear WNDR3800 for a couple of reasons, one of which is that I prefer the Netgear firmware.

See here for fuller instructions: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html

As for speed, I can't say that I have any complaints. Sure the link to the Internet is over a 100mb LAN port, but then the Internet is only able to run at 80mb down and 20mb up. I can easily max things out when I do some heavy downloads.

As for pings, again I can't complain. These have been consistent since it was first installed.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for explanation,
      In case if ill get another router with DD-WRT I steel has a question whether procedure has to be done every time after router been shut down?

Thanks

Depending on what you are wishing to use, the Billion 7800N can be used with the right firmware from Billion.

Once the settings have been made (there are various threads on the topic in this board) they will remain in the NV RAM until you reset the router.

If you were to telnet the settings then you would lose them each time, but this isn't how the instructions are composed.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Now I am having a problem returning DGND3700 to PC WoRLD as its out of box-crap.
      So here is a question -will that make any sense to connect NetGear router to Skys Sagem ? My biggest problem is that Sagem doesnt have Gigabit ethernet which makes my personal cloud useless

Thanks

Ok, firstly let me clarify the connection speed issue.

Whilst the link between the DGND3700 and the Sagem 2504N is 100mb, this will have no bearing on the performance of your DGND3700.

Your current Internet connection is not faster than 100mb, so this is a non-issue. Internally your LAN will operate at up to 1Gbit and the WiFi will work at up to 300mbps. This depends on individual items (Sky+ HD STB only has a 100mb LAN port, most tablets and smart phones only have a 65mbps WiFi adaptor).

Any traffic to the Internet will not be slowed down further than your current connection speed because you have a 100mb link between the two routers.

However I have this morning been playing with the ReadyNAS Cloud on my WNDR3800 and it has failed miserably to work properly with my current setup (BTO Modem -> Sky Hub SR101 -> WNDR3800 WAN Port). It works locally with the app on my phone, but my Win 8.1 Laptop just got stuck on refresh all the time when using Firefox.

It probably would work if I could connect the WNDR3800 directly to the Modem, but with Sky this requires a customer firmware and not Netgear's. The custom firmware would not support the ReadyNAS Cloud feature.

However the other services (HTTP and FTP) did work perfectly.

You will have some consumer rights which should help you to return the DGND3700 to PC World. However if you do not get anywhere, consider selling it on eBay or something similar.

I had thought that ReadyNAS Cloud was available on my Netgear ReadyNAS, but it isn't. There are other services available which I use that allow me to access my files on them though.