Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sr102 + ac66u

This is a discussion on Sr102 + ac66u within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys/gals I am currently with O2 and want to move to fibre, was planing going to plusnet due to ...

mmm123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Paddington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Asus AC66U
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sr102 + ac66u

Hi guys/gals

I am currently with O2 and want to move to fibre, was planing going to plusnet due to ease of setup with my own router (Asus ac66u). Sky have offered a good deal but am sceptical to go with with due the hassle you have to go through to use your own router.

Can you someone kindly guide me?, I have a grasp of what i need to do but just want to make sure it works and if not i will move over to plusnet.

I currently have a Asus AC66U Router running MERLIN firmware. Sky will provide me with the SR102 Sky hub. But no BT OR modem.

1.Can i use WIRESHARK on SR102 with the MAC OS platform to extract my details?
      2.Can i turn the SR102 into modem only like i did on my O2 wireless box?
      3.Why do i still get an engineer visit if the router already has VDSL built in? (Can i ask the engineer for a BT OR modem)
      4.Do i still use my bt faceplate i have currently with filters or does this get changed by the engineer?
      5.If i buy a BT OR modem off ebay would this suffice to get the job done or do i need any other setup/procedure i have to follow?

Basically i just want to be able to use my own router so if i can get some pointers on the correct/possible way of doing this and if its not possible to move over to plusnet.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sr102 + ac66u

1. Yes - Wireshark for Mac - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
      2. No
      3. You only get an engineer home visit if you specifically request it and pay 30 extra.
      4. An ADSL filter plate will work OK, but you are better with a plate specifically designed for vDSL.
      5. Many are doing this to allow them to use their own router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

bathingape (21-12-13),mmm123 (26-11-13)

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the answers and link.

Can you advice on the faceplate i should get, i have been looking at this GENUINE BT Openreach - vDSL Interstitial Faceplate, ADSL Filter & I-Plate / iplate, Replaces NT2000 / NT2005 and iPlate, ADSL / ADSL2 / BT Infinity Compatible: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories, would this be suitable ?

Also which modem should i be aiming for, the ECI or the Huawei ? Can you also point me to a link to root any of these 2 routers?

Assuming the above 2 items will cost around the 30 mark would i not be better of asking for a engineer visit? will he/she not provide me with the above items?

Thanks

That is the plate you want.

I don't think there is any difference in the Modems. Initially BTO matched the modem to the cabinet equipment, but I believe this is no longer necessary. If you want to get into the modem settings, then the Huawei is best as it can be done with software. The ECI requires a hardware hack.

I am not certain but I think with Sky you will still get an SR102. The engineer will check the wiring and fit a filter if it is required, but that is all.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

mmm123 (27-11-13)

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks i have gone ahead and brought the faceplate and the huawei modem.

Can you direct me to a link for the software hack for the Huawei?

One last thing, When the line is live I obviously have to connect the sr102 to extract my details to use on my Asus router, So the question in regards to DLM is do i keep the sky router connected for x number of days or should i connect my own router straight away?
      Last edited by mmm123; 27-11-13 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks

Huawei HG612 Hacking | Unlocking the BT Openreach Huawei HG612 VDSL2 modem router

The SR102 is not connected to the internet to use Wireshark, only to ypur PC by ethernet. This can be done as soon as you receive it.

If you intend to use a BTO modem it would be better having it connected from the start. Changing to it later may cause DLM to kick in again and mess with your speed. The DLM training stops at the modem so you can change and reboot the router as often as you like.

TomD

Useful Utilites

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

mmm123 (27-11-13)

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,
      I have got my username and password via wireshark, can someone guide where/which option to input these on the asus ac66u merlin, have searched but not sure as a few have only said put password in the wan field.

One other thing,d do I need to change any settings on the BTO modem or do I just hook it up and leave?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmm123 View Post
      Hi,
      I have got my username and password via wireshark, can someone guide where/which option to input these on the asus ac66u merlin, have searched but not sure as a few have only said put password in the wan field.

One other thing,d do I need to change any settings on the BTO modem or do I just hook it up and leave?
      I managed to get this working by inputting the username along with the password as 'xxxxxxxxxxx@skydsl|11111111' including the dashes/stroke obviously replacing the x and 1 with your details in the WAN settings on the Asus router.
      Last edited by mmm123; 21-12-13 at 09:50 PM.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have now started to get a new problem and am not sure where the problem is, Ever so occasionally and randomly (10mins to 1 hour anytime in the day) the internet connection keeps dropping. At first i thought this had something to do with the wifi as i have the O2 router connected to the asus and this could be due to wifi ssid changing every time but the problem happens on the wired ethernet connection to my mac.

I am not sure what is causing the problem, I can only think of a few things, I have a BTO modem connected to a VDSl faceplate then connected to the AC-66U via ethernet.

1.Is this because of sky DLM (I thought this kicks in early in the morning)?
      2.Could it be my Asus router keeps dropping the connection (faulty)?
      3.Is the BTO modem functioning correctly or do i need to manually change any settings?

Even though my speeds are higher than O2 the quality of the line (dropouts) has caused everything to be restarted after dropouts thus rendering fiber speed useless.
      Sr102 + ac66u-2013-12-21-09.46.55-pm.jpg

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Is your connection dropping between your router and the Modem or between the Modem and the cabinet?

If it is the later then a friendly call to Sky is required to repair a line fault.

Otherwise I would first change the Ethernet cable between your router and the Modem to see if that fixes things.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast