Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow uploads

This is a discussion on Slow uploads within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ever since I got fibre (40/2) in April 2012, I have consistently only managed to get 2mb upload speeds. At ...

john999boy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Slow uploads

Ever since I got fibre (40/2) in April 2012, I have consistently only managed to get 2mb upload speeds.

At sometime between then and now the service was upgraded to 40/10 but the upload speeds are still at 2mb even though the sync speed is about 7mb. The first BT Eng changed the modem which didn't alter anything. He then presumed it was the Sky router or that the line was somehow being throttled which was causing the lack of speed. Sky 'upgraded' my router and sent out the SR101 but the fault still existed. The next BT Eng was just as mystified but again thought my line was being throttled.

Anyway, he went away last Friday after spending well over an hour here and amazingly I later got a Sky text message that said, "Hi, we have fixed your fault without needing to access your property." Maybe the BT man who arrived in the BT van was a figment of my imagination but the fault is still there!

So, my question is what can I do next? Could it be that my speed is being throttled even though Sky state it isn't?

The other odd thing is that a neighbour of mine who got fibre with Plusnet at about the same time had exactly the same problem but now he's got the increased upload speed after reporting the same fault.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Slow uploads

There are currently 3 maximum speed settings for FTTC products:

1. 40mb down 2mb up (this was Sky's first FTTC product, but was soon replaced by #2)
      2. 40mb down 10mb up
      3. 80mb down 20mb up

I know first hand that Sky can change the connection settings from 2 to 3 and that these normally progress overnight. It is one of the few things they can do.

As for the router causing the problem, what a lot of BS. The Sagem 2504N and the Sky Hub SR101 do not have a built-in VDSL Modem and it is entirely down to the BTO Modem to dial the connection and to resolve the connection speed. It is for this reason that we say on this forum that is is safe to reset the router, but to leave the Modem on all the time. Resetting the Modem to frequently causes BTO's DLM to trigger which will reduce your connection speed.

Having said all this, it is possible that there may have been an issue with the change in connection speed request getting through to the hardward associated with your line.

Occasionally BTO does incorrectly connect people to the wrong components in a cabinet or exchange or update the database correctly. This isn't very frequent, but is possible.

The Engineers do not always admit to us, the ultimate customers, that a mistake was made, so it is unlikely that you will ever find the true cause. However I suspect that there is a chance an error was found and fixed, then Sky were asked to resend the speed change request.

Having sent the speed change request, an automated message would have been sent or one that was sent by someone with only half the story. Either way, you now have the faster upload speed.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I suppose with all the coming and goings the Modem has been rebooted? Try switching its power off for a few minutes then switch it on again.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

jdsimp1234 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWBNP - Bridgend .South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

doesn't a power cycle fix connection speed registers in the sky router not the BTO modem? for example, if your upgrading to SFUP...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdsimp1234 View Post
      doesn't a power cycle fix connection speed registers in the sky router not the BTO modem? for example, if your upgrading to SFUP...
      The upgrade from SFU to SFUP does not require you to reboot the BTO Modem. The only thing I had to do was to reboot the router so that it picked up the new connection speeds in the morning.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

My suggestion was based on the old axiom, 'if something is wrong, reboot it'.

This applies to everything from your smart phone to the computer on a nuclear sub.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.