Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TP-Link TD-W8980 - suitable for fibre?

This is a discussion on TP-Link TD-W8980 - suitable for fibre? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, at the moment I am currently using a TP-Link TD-W8980 with my Sky Unlimited ( ADSL ) broadband. ...

smoothgroover22 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

TP-Link TD-W8980 - suitable for fibre?

Hi guys, at the moment I am currently using a TP-Link TD-W8980 with my Sky Unlimited (ADSL) broadband.

I was just wondering, if I upgraded to the Fibre service, could I use my existing router? It's just that I bought it for Gigabit Ethernet connectivity and the Sky Hub only appears to support Fast Ethernet. I had a quick look through the specs of my router and I *think* it would work, as it has an Ethernet WAN port on it.

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: TP-Link TD-W8980 - suitable for fibre?

Quote Originally Posted by smoothgroover22 View Post
      Hi guys, at the moment I am currently using a TP-Link TD-W8980 with my Sky Unlimited (ADSL) broadband.

I was just wondering, if I upgraded to the Fibre service, could I use my existing router? It's just that I bought it for Gigabit Ethernet connectivity and the Sky Hub only appears to support Fast Ethernet. I had a quick look through the specs of my router and I *think* it would work, as it has an Ethernet WAN port on it.

Thanks.
      It won't work on Sky fibre because it doesn't support 1483MER with DHCP Option 61 which is what Sky use for authentication on fibre connections. There are a handful of routers that will work with Sky fibre out of the box such as the Billion BiPAC 7800 range.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ahh that's a bummer, as I only bought it recently too!

If I bought the Billion or some other compatible router, could I disable DHCP on it and use DHCP plus the Wi-Fi on my TP-Link router if they were connected to each other?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smoothgroover22 View Post
      Ahh that's a bummer, as I only bought it recently too!

If I bought the Billion or some other compatible router, could I disable DHCP on it and use DHCP plus the Wi-Fi on my TP-Link router if they were connected to each other?
      What would be the point, you can do the same thing with a Sky Hub? Why pay 100+ on a router only to disable it?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Because I want to use Gigabit Ethernet and the Wi-Fi on my router.
      Last edited by smoothgroover22; 26-11-13 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks

My point is that you can connect to the Sky Hub in the same way. There is no need to buy another router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah but from what I understand, the Sky Hub only has 10/100 Ethernet ports on the back, and I want whatever router that is connected to Sky to have Gigabit Ethernet ports on it, like the Billion router simon194 posted about earlier.

Thanks

What is the point in having ethernet ports on the router when you are not going to use them. You would be using the Sky connected router as a modem only. Your TP would be supplying the ethernet ports. There is no need for ethernet ports on the internet router and there will not be until such time as the internet speed is over 100mb/s, which is a long way ahead, unless you are getting FTTP.

To be honest, if you have 120 to spend on a router which is hardly going to be used why not add a few more pounds and get yourself an Asus AC66u. This will give you everything your TP Link does and more and can connect direct to a fibre modem.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK maybe I am not understanding this all correctly, either because of my lack of knowledge on how fibre routers etc. work or because I am full of cold and flu (lol), but if I have my computers etc. connecting to my TP-Link router, won't I still need to connect my router to whatever router the Sky link goes to, via an Ethernet cable? And if that is correct, then surely doing this with the Sky Hub will cause a bottleneck on my LAN because the Sky Hub doesn't support Gigabit Ethernet?

Thanks

It does not matter what the Sky hub supports, your internal gigabit LAN will be running through your TP Link. When it comes down to it the BTO modem does not support gigabit LAN either and that is what is connecting to the internet.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast