Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fiber install questions

This is a discussion on Fiber install questions within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, Hopefully in January, fiber should become available in my area. I currently have my internet plugged into the phone ...

redrum217uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: DUNSTON
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Fiber install questions

Hello,

Hopefully in January, fiber should become available in my area. I currently have my internet plugged into the phone socket in my living room. This seems to give me the best wifi coverage in my house (and lets me connect to a couple of non wifi devices). I did try my new hub (my old router broke) in the hallway and found the wifi coverage quite poor, despite this being in a more central location. Plus I just don't want wires all over hallway.

1. if I get fiber when its available do I have to have it plugged into my master socket? I know the new hub is black and has the modem built in and can be used for self install, does this mean the face plate doesn't need changed? Can I just plug the Hub into the phone point in my living room?

2. If it does need to be connected to the master socket, how likely will I be able to get the master socket moved? is there a cost? I see mixed reports on if there is a cost or not, but can't find anything about if sky/bt charge.

3. Finally I have spoken to BT and sky and no one can actually answer my question. What does moving the master socket actually involve? I've seen people say they need to run wires around the house, from the current master socket to the new one. I though it just involved switching the face plate?

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked before
      x

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Fiber install questions

1. The SR102 comes with plug in filters which can in theory by plugged into any of your phone sockets. However, like ADSL it will give the best result when plugged into the master socket, preferably using a filter plate to isolate the other house wiring.

2. As in 1. it does not have to be plugged into the master socket but for the best results it should be. If you want the master socket moved you will have to pay for this yourself and is likely to cost upwards of 130.

3. The master socket is the first socket on the house phone circuit, each other socket being linked to it, usually through a 'daisy chain'. Moving it would depend on the particular setup of the existing wiring. If the socket you want to use as the master is the next one on the chain then it is relatively simple. The existing plates would be removed from the socket and the incoming wires crimped to the wires going to the next socket. There the NTE plates would be fitted. If you require a phone at the original master socket position two spare wires can be used to feed the circuit back to an extension faceplate. If you don't require a phone there, the box can be covered with a blanking plate. It all depends on what position the socket you want to use occupies. It is possible to use any socket as the master but each one being bypassed would have the incoming wire crimped to the out going, then fed back with spare wires. This is the cheapest and easiest way to do it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

As an idea, you could use both the new and your current Sky router.

With the new SR102 connected to the Internet, set the SR101 up as shown in the guide linked below. The two can be connected via an Ethernet cable (up to 100m) or a pair of HomePlugs. This would give you the flexinility to place the SR101 almost anywhere in your home in order to provide a 2nd WiFi access point.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

There are plenty of methods to help you hide the Ethernet cable. These include 'trunking' and wall sockets for starters, but there are others.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Thank you for the replies, my main problem is all to do with wires, I know I can use trunking but the actual plugs would be visible, I could use a home plug but this would also look messy and Homeplugs I've used in the past but SKY insist this is why my last router failed due to interference. I know I'm being fussy, I've not long decorated so I don't want my new lovely hall way spoilt by wires as I'm a bit of a neat freak. lol

Where the Hub is currently, is behind the TV so nothing is visible, except the hub itself, which I like the look of so don't mind.

I just wish the wifi was better where the current master socket is, I don't mind having just the Hub on show as I can drill little holes in the shoe stand that would hide most stuff.

There must be something interfering with the signal in the hall, as its very central in my house, my current set up is in a corner but is actually better.

I have 3 phone sockets in my house, the master socket in the hall, a double socket in my living room, where everything is connected and then one in the master bedroom. So I'm assuming the livingroom one IS the next one in line, my house is only 3 years old so hopefully the wiring will be good.

My master socket did used to be outside in a grey box, but that failed and they moved it inside, unfortunately I wasn't in and was told that they didn't need access, so my partner didn't ask for them to put it in the living room when they did end up needing access to move it into the house.

Thanks again.

Thanks

Before making a further suggestion, could I ask:

According to the BT site, what is your predicted connection speed for BT Infinity?

What Fibre package are you looking to purchase? (SFU or SFUP)

Thanks

I'm not sure to be honest as it wont be available until January, I'm just look ahead and rather excited to get fibre.

I think I'll go with SFU I'd like the Pro but its so expensive, I could go to plusnet for the same price as SFU and get pro speeds, however I like sky and their customer services so happy to stay, in the hope they may reduce.

I do get between 11 - 13Mbps currently though, so I'm hoping I'll get good speeds for fibre too.

Thanks

Could you punch in your details in the box marked "Can I get Fibre Broadband" on the page linked below please?

Fibre Optic Broadband – Infinity Superfast fibre packages – BT.com

As you are already with Sky you will need to use your address, not your telephone number.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you only have 3 sockets placing them in the circuit is easy. Remove the faceplate from one of them and if there is only one cable going into it, that is the last one the chain. If there are 2, one in and one out it is the middle socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Could you punch in your details in the box marked "Can I get Fibre Broadband" on the page linked below please?

Fibre Optic Broadband – Infinity Superfast fibre packages – BT.com

As you are already with Sky you will need to use your address, not your telephone number.
      Her you go!

When can I get fibre optic BT Infinity?
      Sorry, fibre optic BT Infinity isn't currently available at your property.
      Fibre optic broadband is estimated to be in your area between December 2013 and May 2014. Please note that these dates have been provided by our supplier and are estimates. Dates may be subject to change due to factors outside our control such as; delays agreeing cabinet locations with your local council or unforeseen issues encountered during the construction of your street cabinet.
      More on the fibre optic rollout >
      Your estimated BT Infinity speeds:
      62.7Mb *
      Estimated
      download speed
      20Mb*
      Estimated
      upload speed
      Register your interest and we'll be in touch when you're able to receive BT Infinity.

Thanks

That is good.

What this means is if you were to order SFU, which is capped at 40mb down and 10mb up, you should be able to get this speed on the extension. If you want the full connection speed with SFUP (80/20) then I would not recommend the extension.

So by using the supplied microfilters, similar to how you are connected with your ADSL connection now, everything should work just fine.

That just leaves getting the WiFi signal improved for the rest oh your home. The best solution for this IMHO would be to follow the guide I linked to in post #3.

You can set the WiFi details for the two routers to be the same if they are far enough apart, or you can set them differently. If you have a smartphone, tablet or laptop, then it should be able to "roam" between the routers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast