Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky hub sr102 black or white for replacement please help

This is a discussion on Sky hub sr102 black or white for replacement please help within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys, can someone please end my confusion with the new hub sr102 and sr101 I have been on sky ...

barriead is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: King Henry St Portsmouth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi Guys, can someone please end my confusion with the new hub sr102 and sr101

I have been on sky fibre for over a year now with the bt openreach modem and the sagemcon black and silver router, all was fine until a couple of months ago and the wireless started playing up and kept dropping out. I contacted sky and after a while they (broadband help line) said the router was faulty and I could have a replacement for 39..well thanks sky...I had no appetite for an argument as I had been waiting for 35 minutes for sky to answer and had a long day at work.

I was looking forward to receiving my new router and a white one sr101 turned up, I was expecting a sr102 with the built in modem to arrive, I managed to get it all connected up and running through the bt modem but this was not what I was expecting as I hoped getting the sr102 would have done away with the need for the bt modem resulting in less wiring, more tidy etc.

So I contacted sky again who said we have sent you the wrong router and will send you a replacement....so it has just turned up...and guess what another sr101 white!

Am I getting myself at it and it should be the sr101 through the bt modem or should I have got a black sr102...just rang sky again and this time was told the rs101 is the right one and I have to run it through the bt modem.

Can someone advise if I am in the wrong regarding the sr102 black and the sr101 is correct.....because at the moment I am a bit cheesed off at different info from sky services fibre broadband operatives....and if it should have been a black sr102 I will be really miffed and contacting someone a bit higher than the normal c.s. guys....plus having to pay to replace a faulty modem from sky when given a choice I could get something a lot better...but thats another story

Regards

Barrie

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky hub sr102 black or white for replacement please help

From what I have read and seen you are better off with the 101. Yes it requires a BTO modem to conect, but that is the only disadvantage. You can reboot it as often as you like and it will not cause DLM to kick in and reduce your speed. You can also replace it with a router of your choice, which cannot yet be done with the 102. With the 102 you will not get a better sync speed and the only advantage it has is saving one power connection. If you have to reboot it for any reason, and you must do to make certain setting changes, it can cause DLM to kick in and reduce your speed.

Be assured, apart from the vDSL modem and the colour, there is no difference between the two routers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for that isitme, lots of good info there.

I would still like to find out if I have been supplied the wrong one, even if the white one is more "friendly" I would have given the 102 a chance.

Thanks Barrie

Hedgehog1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HDw box X2
      Thanks

I am sure that the SR102 is only supplied at the moment to new customers during install unless after having an issue with the SR102 it needs replaced. If you have an SR101 and it needs replaced it will be replaced with a like for like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mystic Eddy is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Thanks

On the Sky forum, their staff are saying that the SR102 is still being trialled, being sent out to 'select customers'. So that's those who are chosen for the self-install fibre option. I'm sure they'll be willing to flog you one for 39 (or more!) when it officially launches.
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

Thanks

Thanks guys,
      As the broadband and wireless is working fine I think I will just go with it and forget the 102....just dont understand why they said they had sent the wrong one and then sent me another the same.?

Barrie

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I have heard that the SR102 is now being supplied with all new Fibre orders and that everyone will be given the Self-install option.

Again the SR102 hasn't been officially launched and the SR101 will continue to be supplied with any ADSL orders for the present time.

As Tom has mentioned though, there isn't any real benefit for existing Sky fibre customers who already have the BTO Modem to be supplied the SR102. The known differences are the colour and VDSL Modem. Otherwise they are identical, bar the firmware versions and a slightly different look in the GUI.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Openreach haven't officially launched the wires only option yet. It's still in the trial phase.

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The sr102 also has a duel core mips cpu so it can handle more concurrent connections
      hence the faster web interface
      you can also run the sr102 in ewan mode just as you do with the sr101

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simon194 View Post
      Openreach haven't officially launched the wires only option yet. It's still in the trial phase.
      As of 12th November, ALL Sky Fibre upgrades are self-install ("wires-only"), UNLESS the customer opt's for 80 engineer install. Or they are a new customer who requires an NLP install.
      Isitme and Scubbie like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast