Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exchange showing signs of congestion

This is a discussion on Exchange showing signs of congestion within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; (I have posted on Sky's official forums but have copied it here) Hi there, Former Be customer who took an ...

Sw33n3y is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Strathaven WSSTN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Exchange showing signs of congestion

(I have posted on Sky's official forums but have copied it here)

Hi there,

Former Be customer who took an early plunge and went for Sky FTTC.

Be confirmed there was congestion on their end at my exchange (back in April/May) and there was no fix as yet which prompted me to make the move.

Having only had my connection with Sky since Monday afternoon I unfortunately have WORSE issues relating to congestion.

f8lure graphs confirm it* and a friend on the same exchange who had their Infinity connection activated yesterday has no issues at all, pointing to Sky's backhaul/equipment rather than the BT side of things.

What are my chances of getting this recognised and resolved with Sky?
      (Have phoned support but the fibre 'team' finish at 9pm, missed them by 26minutes unfortunately)

http://f8lure.mouselike.org/archived....108_day11.png day of activation
      http://f8lure.mouselike.org/archived....108_day12.png second day of connection (disconnection was due to internal house work requiring sockets to be switched off)
      http://f8luresig.mouselike.org/sig.png?/52352.png today so far

Cheers,

Ryan

Today

Yesterday (13/11)

Day before (12/11) (disconnection was due to internal house work requiring sockets to be switched off)

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Exchange showing signs of congestion

Thank you for these. Not as bad as some, but a nice clear pattern is emerging there.

I have just raised this with Sky for you. Unless the person who looks these up is working tomorrow I should get a response sometime on Monday for you.

In the mean time the weekends are often quite bad so a graph showing this time period woud be useful too.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Sw33n3y (18-11-13)

Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

Yes it certainly isn't as bad as others however there's an interesting development to this.

I contacted Sky fibre support shortly before posting this, who confirmed that the exchange that mine is connected to (WSHAM) had just appeared on their list of 'mildly' congested exchanges and it was due upgrading on the 30th of November. He arranged a callback for the following evening relating to this.

I received this call back in the hour the gentleman had specified (which was nice, too often you never hear back in these situations). The lady had minimal notes of what my original call was regarding (to report congestion and seek an ETA for resolving it).

She confirmed the same as the gentleman and that there's no other option that to wait and see.

Later that evening I received a text message to state my problem has been resolved without requiring an engineer... Thought this was a bit strange so when the congestion has been at it's worse I thought I'd check my graphs and to my surprise I noticed a modem re-sync in the early hours after the first phone call.

I haven't had a chance to check the throughput of the connection following this change but according to the graphs it's now pretty damn stable and solid. The speeds would gradually dip to 20Mbps during the busy period and then eventually increase back up to 35+Mbps (I use ethernet plugs at the moment and I don't think they are able to supply the full 38Mbps as top speed I've had is 3.7mb/sec).

Not sure how they have managed to resolve this issue given they have confirmed the parent exchange of mine is due an upgrade and that the congestion has disappeared on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening of which I was anticipating to be a nightmare.

I will keep this thread updated and look forward to hearing what your contact is able to ascertain regarding this.

Cheers

Ryan

Thurdsay 14th

Friday 15th (showing the brief period of downtime as the congestion settles)

Saturday 16th

Sunday 17th

Thanks

An update for you Sw33n3y:

There is an acknowledged issue with the backhaul in your area. The work to upgrade the backhaul is scheduled for the end of this month and should be complete by the middle of December providing there are no unforeseen issues.

This is affecting those in Hamilton (the main exchange in your area) and a six other exchanges too, including yours.

Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

I did reply but not sure if it said it had to be verified.

Thats great, confirms what I was told and shows it wasn't a wee fib being told.

Thanks very much for your help, nice to know someone has access to the inner workings of Sky .

__________________________________________________ ____________________

My reply is below:

Hi Scubbie,

Yes it certainly isn't as bad as others however there's an interesting development to this.

I contacted Sky fibre support shortly before posting this, who confirmed that the exchange that mine is connected to (WSHAM) had just appeared on their list of 'mildly' congested exchanges and it was due upgrading on the 30th of November. He arranged a callback for the following evening relating to this.

I received this call back in the hour the gentleman had specified (which was nice, too often you never hear back in these situations). The lady had minimal notes of what my original call was regarding (to report congestion and seek an ETA for resolving it).

She confirmed the same as the gentleman and that there's no other option that to wait and see.

Later that evening I received a text message to state my problem has been resolved without requiring an engineer... Thought this was a bit strange so when the congestion has been at it's worse I thought I'd check my graphs and to my surprise I noticed a modem re-sync in the early hours after the first phone call.

I haven't had a chance to check the throughput of the connection following this change but according to the graphs it's now pretty damn stable and solid. The speeds would gradually dip to 20Mbps during the busy period and then eventually increase back up to 35+Mbps (I use ethernet plugs at the moment and I don't think they are able to supply the full 38Mbps as top speed I've had is 3.7mb/sec).

Not sure how they have managed to resolve this issue given they have confirmed the parent exchange of mine is due an upgrade and that the congestion has disappeared on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening of which I was anticipating to be a nightmare.

I will keep this thread updated and look forward to hearing what your contact is able to ascertain regarding this.

Cheers

Ryan

Thurdsay 14th

Friday 15th (showing the brief period of downtime as the congestion settles)

Saturday 16th

Sunday 17th

khile is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYCLE
      Thanks

my exchange has been slow got a graph what does mine show

Last edited by khile; 22-11-13 at 07:39 AM.

Thanks

That certainly looks like an issue there.

I have posted a request for some information as to the status of the exchange and will let you know when I can.

Thanks

Hello Khile,

Could you repost the graph please? Initial feedback doesn't show that there is a problem with your exchange but this could be helpful to the people who work in this area.

Thank you.

khile is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYCLE
      Thanks

not sure what happened but here is graph

Thanks

Thank you.

Are you or anyone else in your home doing anything else on your connection?

i.e. Torrents, streaming videos?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast