Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Moving Home to New Build - Sky Fibre availability

This is a discussion on Moving Home to New Build - Sky Fibre availability within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So am moving home to a new build property. I wanted to use Sky Home Move to move my entire ...

ufo
      ufo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Moving Home to New Build - Sky Fibre availability

So am moving home to a new build property.

I wanted to use Sky Home Move to move my entire package over (Sky TV, Sky Talk and Sky Fibre).

The problems begin when contacting the Home Move team and discovering that "Sky Fibre is unconfirmed at your address". So Sky say (at least right now) that they can only provide me with ADSL with which I am not happy.

Now I know that Fibre is available in my area, as when using the Sky Fibre availability checker the house just across the road, and the next house both have it available to them. BT Infinity is also available to them.

Part of the reason I think it is not available to me right now, is that I currently have no active line at the property and so have no telephone number (yet). Maybe also because my address is not yet registered with Royal Mail (though not sure about this?)

However - I can only get an active line if I ask Sky to move my existing package to the new property or contact BT directly to activate the line - for which BT will charge me a hefty fee.

The problem with Sky is that they state they cannot complete the Home Move process without a 'yes' or 'no' answer to the Broadband questions. Ideally I wanted to move everything in one go to save hassle.

So... what are my options here?

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Moving Home to New Build - Sky Fibre availability

If BT can provide Infinity and Sky fibre is available to nearby properties then I see no reason why Sky fibre should not be available at your new property once there is an active phone line at the property and a few days have passed to allow databases to be updated. If you are happy with the Sky services that you receive at your current address then a home move would appear to be the best option.

Having ADSL for up to a month may not be ideal but surely that is preferable to mobile or no internet at all. Has the property got a proper address yet or is it just referred to by a plot number? If it has a postcode you can go to the Royal Mail website at, Postcode Finder | Royal Mail Group Ltd. Click on the Find an address tab to check whether the house name or number is listed.

ufo
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      If BT can provide Infinity and Sky fibre is available to nearby properties then I see no reason why Sky fibre should not be available at your new property once there is an active phone line at the property and a few days have passed to allow databases to be updated. If you are happy with the Sky services that you receive at your current address then a home move would appear to be the best option.

Having ADSL for up to a month may not be ideal but surely that is preferable to mobile or no internet at all. Has the property got a proper address yet or is it just referred to by a plot number? If it has a postcode you can go to the Royal Mail website at, Postcode Finder | Royal Mail Group Ltd. Click on the Find an address tab to check whether the house name or number is listed.
      'Officially' the property is still a site but we have been told and notified of the actual number in various letters.

If I search Royal Mail, the property (by the official number) is not listed - can I contact them and tell them to list it to speed things up?

Regarding ADSL - it is not that it is not ideal - I have read various people having problems of making the switch from ADSL to Fibre once they have taken out the ADSL so I am cautious of this route.

I am already a long time out of an ADSL contract after making the switch to Fibre last year, so I didn't really want to switch back to end up with more problems knowing that I am actually really just trying to get back to Fibre.

Plus if I accept their offer of going to ADSL, does this not mean I am into another 12 month contract?

What happens if I then want to switch up to Sky Fibre when it becomes listed for me - will I not have a penalty charge for leaving the ADSL and have to pay the installation charge again for getting Fibre in?

I already paid this charge before, I didn't want to have to pay it again, hence the idea of wanting to use home move!

Thanks

It would normally be the builder that registers the property with Royal Mail. Perhaps it would be best to speak to your builder first and then contact Royal Mail if you are unhappy with the builder's response.
      Forget the contract. Where it suits Sky they will not hold you to a contract if an upgrade means you will be paying them more money.
      The fibre installation charge could be a problem but talk to the home move team. If they agree the charge can be waived ensure that they annotate your account accordingly to avoid any misunderstanding when the fibre order is eventually placed.

ufo
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Forget the contract. Where it suits Sky they will not hold you to a contract if an upgrade means you will be paying them more money.
      The fibre installation charge could be a problem but talk to the home move team. If they agree the charge can be waived ensure that they annotate your account accordingly to avoid any misunderstanding when the fibre order is eventually placed.
      Just thinking...because they have failed to provide me with Sky Fibre now (which, transferring my services over, is what I am supposed to get), if I agree to Sky ADSL, am I actually starting a new 12 month contract?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ufo View Post
      Just thinking...because they have failed to provide me with Sky Fibre now (which, transferring my services over, is what I am supposed to get), if I agree to Sky ADSL, am I actually starting a new 12 month contract?
      I'm not sure and wouldn't want to misguide you. The best thing is to pose this question to the home move agent and as with my previous answer ensure that a suitable note is added to the account.

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I *think* you'll start a 12 month contract when you order fibre, but you can take ADSL now. I was in a similar situation earlier in the year when I moved house. Whilst it wasn't a new build, I moved TV, phone and ADSL across. The ADSL speed was terrible in the new property, so ordered fibre. The issue I came up with was that Sky's system all of a sudden said fibre wasn't available, even though I'd checked it via the address checker previously. Turned out that the Sky systems don't like changes with 30 days of a 'package change', but I got this sorted out by talking directly to the fibre team.

ufo
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Going by what I have read here and elsewhere, I am wondering if my best option is to cancel down all Broadband/Fibre services, until I can get a phone line.

The checker seems to be more accurate with phone numbers and as I haven't been issued with one yet and have only literally just received an actual address (with Royal Mail) and no sign of my address appearing on the Sky or BT databases, is phone line only my best route?

Thanks

As there isn't already a phone line at the property you may find, if only ordering a telephone service, that there will be a large connection fee that would be waived if you were ordering broadband and telephone.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Why not call Sky's bluff and state that you will only agree to have their ADSL service installed on the proviso that if they can't install Fibre within 3 weeks of you moving in, then you can switch to another provider without any penalty?

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast