Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

A Little Help with Installation Advice

This is a discussion on A Little Help with Installation Advice within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I can now purchase fibre through Sky. A few questions before I press the button to order. 1. Does everybody ...

bwfc0907 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

A Little Help with Installation Advice

I can now purchase fibre through Sky. A few questions before I press the button to order.

1. Does everybody get the 10 for 6 month offer?

2. My Test socket is upstairs. No faceplate for Fibre fitted yet. My Sky Hub is downstairs on an extension that runs throughout the rooms. I have ethernet throughout the downstairs under the floor boarding to the router. Can I install a VDSL faceplate on the test socket upstairs and connect the router to one of the hardwired extensions downstairs? Do I need to change the wiring in the extensions in anyway? If I can do this will I require a micro filter?

3. I believe the new HUB doesn't require a change of faceplate and connects as my current set up. Will this reduce my speed in anyway?

Kind Regards

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: A Little Help with Installation Advice

The vDSL faceplate fits onto the master socket, so in your case upstairs. If you have Ethernet wiring from here to where you want the router then use that. If not you will have to wire an extension to where you want the modem/router. Extensions for phones stay as they are, the extension for the modem connects to the two IDC terminals on the vDSL faceplate. You will need a filter for that extension or use a data extension kit if no telephone is required (extension for the router ONLY).
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      The vDSL faceplate fits onto the master socket, so in your case upstairs. If you have Ethernet wiring from here to where you want the router then use that. If not you will have to wire an extension to where you want the modem/router. Extensions for phones stay as they are, the extension for the modem connects to the two IDC terminals on the vDSL faceplate. You will need a filter for that extension or use a data extension kit if no telephone is required (extension for the router ONLY).
      So could I just crimp all the orange wires together in my already ran phone extensions and connect to IDC terminals?

- - - Updated - - -

Can anybody answer my questions?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Sorry, I can't answer your query about getting half price.

The new Hub requires filters just the same as the old one, they supply 2 plug in filters with the Hub. The new filters are manufactured specially for Sky for use with the Hub. I have no idea whether they are any better than the previous filters. Sky in their wisdom have decided to go for self install which means you do not get a vDSL filter fitted by the engineer. In some cases this will be OK, just as it is with ADSL but in many there will be problems.

In your case I would fit a vDSL filter to the master socket and plug your Hub in there. Take an ethernet cable from there to join up with your downstairs network. You could use your existing router as a switch.

If you want to use your downstairs extension for the Hub and you have more than one extension socket, you would be better dedicating one set of wires for it. These would be attached to the IDC terminals on the vDSL plate and jelly crimped through any extension boxes before the one you want to use. They would then connect to the faceplate of the socket you want to use. If it is not the last socket in the circuit you would have to crimp the existing phone wires in the box. It is a bit difficult to explain when we don't know how many sockets you have and what their position is in the phone circuit.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Makes simple sense & is best bet to crimp 1 set of wires as can't run Ethernet as floor now boarded. Any issues with speed doing this?

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone answer other questions?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

There could be, but it is impossible to tell until you try.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How sad, any other answers people?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

I think Tom has answered your questions well enough.

A1. Sky make different offers available at different times. The most recent offer for the Sky Fibre Unlimited product has been 6 months half-price, but there are terms and conditions. What you get may be the same or different, but that offer will not last forever.

A2. I too would be inclined to recommend that you plug the new Sky Hub SR102 into the Master Socket and NOT an extension socket. Based upon the experience gained in the differences between ADSL and ADSL2+, this has always been the case. With FTTC or VDSL (same thing in this case) the signals are even more prone to poor wiring and really do benefit from the shortest connection from the Master Socket to the Modem (the SR102 has a built-in VDSL Modem).

If you are unable to make/purchase a suitable RJ11 cable to allow you to connect the Sky Hub SR102 a little further from the socket than normal, then please stick to the lead supplied.

However this isn't the end of it...

Both these options would highly benefit from you fitting a VDSL filtered faceplate to the Master Socket and using that as your Internet point.

Option 1
      Connect the SR102 to your old router using an Ethernet cable ad the guide here:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

This would provide you with a new WiFi hotspot in the bedroom, allowing for better reception of WiFi upstairs. It also means that if you happen to have a Smart TV upstairs, you now have a new access point for it too.

Option 2
      Purchase from eBay a BTO Modem. Connect that to the Master Socket.

Run a suitable Ethernet cable from the BTO Modem to your SR102, which can be downstairs. Do not use a pair of HomePlugs in this position as it is a security issue and may not work correctly.

Since the Ethernet cable can be up to 100m and the speed between the BTO Modem and your router will remain at 100mb, there is no longer an issue with loss of Internet speed.

A3. Believe what you wish. In respect of copper telephone wiring and your DSL signal, the shorter the distance to the Modem the better. Whilst some ADSL filtered faceplates apparently do work with the VDSL signal, I would highly recommend the VDSL filtered faceplate.

This is based upon the many posts I have read on the topic on this forum and a few other posts elsewhere. Of course if you live close to the cabinet and are getting the Sky Fibre Unlimited product then you will most likely not have a problem. If you live some distance from the cabinet then the speed is likely to drop anyway and adding an interneal extension will reduce the maximum potential speed on your line.

Should you choose to go your own router and later upgrade to a faster speed, like what I have, then you are going to see more issues.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.