Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Crashst3r

Extra WIfi thingy up the shed

This is a discussion on Extra WIfi thingy up the shed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, I wonder if someone would be so kind to help me with aquestion I have? I currently work ...

Wandler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Extra WIfi thingy up the shed

Hi there,
      I wonder if someone would be so kind to help me with aquestion I have?
      I currently work from home & have the standard SkyBroadband (unlimited). About 18 months ago, I built a home office where my shedused to be, when doing this we ran a cat 5 cable from the house to the shed.
      With the help of this website, I managed to add a preexisting sky router (the white type one that everyone had) so I now have wifisignal in the house (sky sent me a newe black one when I moaned about theinternet speed) and up the shed.
      I believe that my cabinet is going to be switched live onthe 31st March next year for the fibre product. I have been waiting along time for this & cant wait to get it, but I am worried about myconnection up the shed.
      I will have the main new router installed in the house.So a couple of questions;
      Will I be able to use either of my preexisting routers up the shed (black newer one or older white one)?
      If so, will I get the same speed as thewifi that will be in the house?
      If I need a new router, which brand/modelshould I be looking for & do sky sell them?

Please remember if you are kind enough to reply, that Ionly know very basic things about broadband and its setup...
      Many thanks,
      Richard

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Extra WIfi thingy up the shed

Welcome to the forum Wandler.

Although the guide was written specifically with a Sky router in mind, it works for any setup with any router. You would need to change an IP Address range if you were to switch to say BT Broadband. This is easily achieved.

All the Sky routers use the same default IP Address range though, so it would work as it is with the white Netgear DG834GT.

I would suggest that you consider changing the Ethernet cable at some date in the future though. Cat 5 is sufficient for Sky's current routers, but should you upgrade to a router which supports a 1Gbit connection, then you would need Cat 5e as a minimum. You should also ensure that you use cable rated as suitable for outdoor use.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

It ***should*** already be CAT5e scubbie, CAT5 died years ago. So long as it is a decent make it will be CAT5e, as you say though it should be external grade cable even if it is in a duct.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Wandler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Many thanks for the replies Gents.

i have spoken with my son who ran the cable for me & assured me that it is 5e and is in some sort of protective casing 1 meter below the ground.

Im afraid I am still some what confused.

Are you saying that neither router will need changing when I do finally switch over to the fibre product?

if that's the case, will they both be able to transmit a wifi signal at its optimum speed?

many thanks again,

Richard

Crashst3r is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Taunton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Don't think Scubbie is gonna like being called a gent
      Scubbie likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wandler View Post
      i have spoken with my son who ran the cable for me & assured me that it is 5e and is in some sort of protective casing 1 meter below the ground.
      Very good. This will help at a later date when you get a 1Gbit router and WiFi access point.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandler View Post
      Im afraid I am still some what confused.

Are you saying that neither router will need changing when I do finally switch over to the fibre product?

if that's the case, will they both be able to transmit a wifi signal at its optimum speed?
      The router in your shed will require no alteration at all when you get Sky Fibre if the existing router in your home has the default IP Address range.

Sky will send you a new router. It will be either the Sky Hub SR101 or Sky Hub SR102. The specs of both are identical except that the SR102 is black and has a VDSL modem, instead of an ADSL modem. This means that it doesn't require the BTO Modem.

Both the Sky Hubs are WiFi n (up to 144mbps on a single channel) and support a 100mb LAN which is the same as your current routers.

The connection speed in the shed will have the same speed limits for the LAN connection as you do now, but the Internet would be faster. The WiFi on the white router is limited to 108mbps. Provided that your WiFi adaptor supports this speed, then you should be able to achieve up to around 40mb/s down from the Internet as a guess. This is provided that your connection speed is around this figure or higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashst3r View Post
      Don't think Scubbie is gonna like being called a gent
      Too right. You may catch me in a dress, sometimes a blouse and skirt, but never a suit and tie.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.