Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

VPN access problems - ive tried all the links....

This is a discussion on VPN access problems - ive tried all the links.... within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All I have the 2504N router, and can no longer connect to my VPN, i use it for cloud ...

mattym is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: west malling
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

VPN access problems - ive tried all the links....

Hi All

I have the 2504N router, and can no longer connect to my VPN, i use it for cloud storage as well as actualy work.

Sky technical trotted out the We Dont Support VPN But Your System Admin Can Fix It
      my system admin tells me that he had a similar problem elsewhere and called sky, who did 'something' and now it works

so my problem...I have flashed the firmware and opened ports that i think need to be open but neither of my machines, a win 7 and a win 8, will connect to the VPN that worked fine before.

Can ANYONE help me with this? I am at the end of my tether with this, i can connect anywhere except at home, and noone can show my what im doing wrong, or show me what i need to do.

Its starting to get me down...

thanks in advance!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: VPN access problems - ive tried all the links....

Sadly for some daft reason, and it has been raised with Sky's tech people, their own routers do appear to block some specific VPN services.

Since it is a router issue, I would suggest that you consider using a non-Sky router. There are a host of options available on this topic which can be summarised as:

1. Use a Cable router and set it up as show in this guide: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html
      2. Use a Cable router with a suitable firmware to connect directly to the BTO Modem (two choices here: a couple can use their respective manufacturer's firmware, any others require a custom firmware such as OpenWRT, DD-WRT and Tomato)
      3. Use a suitable router with a built-in VDSL Modem to replace both the BTO Modem and SR101 (again only a limited number available to do this)

Sky uses a specific method for their routers to log into the Sky servers. Without this your router will not speak to them and you will be denied access to the Internet. For a little more info on this, please read this page:

MER - PH-Mb Wiki

There are several guides on both options 2 and 3 on this forum.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply.

my router appears to be MER so i cant use any of the routers i have knocking about the place, I did search extensively on ways to make the one i have work, i flashed the firmware but that didnt work.
      The VPN at work is just a dell server that is configured to allow access, its not any special server set up or service.

i will continue researching.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

According to your profile you have Sky Fibre Unlimited (SFU). The Sky routers report 'MER' on SFU and SFUP but the connection is actually PPPoE between the router and the Modem. MER on the ADSL connections is a different ball game and shouldn't be confused with the Fibre connections.

In turn the Modems use the same protocol whether they are on a Sky connection or TalkTalk or BT Retail.

The issue is not with the modem, but Sky's servers. They require the specific log in details as shown in that Wiki page. These are easily captured using Wireshark.

Guides for all this are available on this forum.

P.S. I am currently using option #1 shown above with a WNDR3800 running my LAN and WiFi.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      According to your profile you have Sky Fibre Unlimited (SFU). The Sky routers report 'MER' on SFU and SFUP but the connection is actually PPPoE between the router and the Modem. MER on the ADSL connections is a different ball game and shouldn't be confused with the Fibre connections.
      No it's not it's straight ethernet there's no PPP happening at all.

ISP's that use BTwholesale ARE using PPPoE on FTTC but Sky do not.

The problem is that Sky want the username/password presented in DHCP Option 61 and a lot of consumer routers don't expose enough of the DHCP client configuration to actually let you specify that option

Thanks

thanks again for the replys

is there a way of making the sky router supplied work correctly to allow VPN, if i install the 'tweaked' firmware then there are a lot more settings for firewall and other stuff, but i dont really know what im doing with it. I cant seem to get a reason as to what it is on this particular spawn of satan router that makes it not work in the way that other routers do, so if anyone can point me in the right direction for setting in the sagemcom settings rather than the sky ones, or perhaps a list of ports that might need opening/forwarding?

i can actually connect to the router at work, i can log in to that and ferret about, but thats it.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

I think this applys more to ISP's that use PPP (which sky Don't) but still

BT Openreach FTTC Superfast Broadband Modems Break VPN Access - ISPreview UK