Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Exchange congestion starting?

This is a discussion on Exchange congestion starting? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Yes it seems that the estimated fix dates have been missed at least twice now for the Hackney/Clapton problem, which ...

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Exchange congestion starting?

Yes it seems that the estimated fix dates have been missed at least twice now for the Hackney/Clapton problem, which is disappointing to see.

As Scubbie said, the dates given by Sky always come with a caveat that they are subject to change and, like Scubbie, I have always stated that when posting the info.

Given the persistence of postings in the thread on the official forum, I'd be surprised if it hasn't got onto Sky's internal hot topic list (which is usually helpful in getting things moving) - but unusually there hasn't been any feedback on that. Which is also disappointing to see. I think the eye has definitely gone off the ball with this one...
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Aye, I think it was yourself who put the question forward to you-know-who first for the Clapton exchange.

It is disappointing that it should be delayed and at this time we don't know why, but sadly sometimes complications can occur.

All we can say is that someone is working hard to get this resolved, even if it means physically putting in a bunch of new fibre cables from London to Clapton.

Hopefully tomorrow morning we'll get a suitable answer as to what is happening and be able to update people here.
      speedyrite likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Brutos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Clapton/Hackney
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet
      Router: Billion 7800n
      Thanks

Thanks for the help speedy and Scubbie if I get a suitable info I have no issues staying with Sky as up until the 26-10-2013 it has been flaw less the service, but like we have mention on the official sky forum speedy they are pointing the gun at their feet and wilfully shooting themselves in the foot, even if they say each day we are still waiting on BT, but it will be done that's good enough for me.
      Senior VoIP Engineer
      SSCA Certified
      Cisco R&S Certified.

Thanks

No problem.

So that you know, the person whom normally answers speaks with the Network people before updating us. These are the people who do know what is happening.

I do not know specifically why the issue has not been resolved in this case, but from what I have learnt the issue could well be with BTO.

Essentially Sky have a mixed approach to getting backhaul connections. The may lease a connection from various trunk suppliers or put in their own cables. BTO are one of firms which Sky will lease the backhaul from.

Any work done in an exchange must either be done by a suitable BTO Employee or supervised by a BTO Employee. Contractors do get allowed inside the exchanges, but they have to be supervised due to problems when some where allowed inside when the network was first opened up.
      speedyrite likes this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Response as promised:

The new date is Mid December.

As mentioned previously though, whilst this is the intended date, things can go wrong outside the control of Sky. It can also take a few days for the pings at the exchange to settle down as the new connection is integrated fully.

Mid December is when the work is scheduled. As I understand it, the work has been schedule twice before. This indicates that some issue was identified before and I would hope that this time it will go through.
      speedyrite likes this.

Thanks

Last night its clear where the issue is ...I really don't want to move from sky really don't but I have lost confidence with this and I can only imagine what will happen if it doesn't get fixed over the holiday period I will be at home and family will have no connection.

Thanks for you help i have had far more info from you ahd speedy that Sky says alot about their ability to communicate with us the consumer in the know
      speedyrite likes this.
      Senior VoIP Engineer
      SSCA Certified
      Cisco R&S Certified.

Thanks

speedyrite and myself both believe that by getting the information out to Sky's customer base about backhaul fixes is a positive step, which is why we have both been proactive is liaising with the people in Sky to pass the information from both this forum and the Sky forum to between Sky's customers and the Network team via the private forum we have access to.

It shows that unlike some competitors Sky is investing in the network and is continuing to improve things as issues develop.

In the past we have seen reports on backhaul issues lasting anything from 3-4 months.

Whilst I would agree that it is unpleasant, it is important to understand that the issue is temporary and being addressed.

As to why there have been repeated delays in your exchange to get the backhaul fixed, I do not currently have this information. We have asked, but we may not necessarily be able to post the answer.

Purely speculating now, but it is possible that some existing Fibre cables are faulty. This would be down to BTO if it is their infrastructure. In truth though there are several firms which operate fibre networks across the country. Any of these could have been contacted by Sky and any of them could have a capacity or fault issue.

Of course Sky also have their own network.

Thanks

We have just had confirmation that the delays are caused by a third party.

I don't have the details of who the 3rd party is, but it is hoped that this will be resolved for the scheduled work in the middle of next month.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      We have just had confirmation that the delays are caused by a third party.

I don't have the details of who the 3rd party is, but it is hoped that this will be resolved for the scheduled work in the middle of next month.
      Cheers mate funny thing is I have 3 former colleagues who work at sky on the network and broadband teams hahaha, didn't want to contact them finally decided to this week and low and behold a get a call straight away.
      Senior VoIP Engineer
      SSCA Certified
      Cisco R&S Certified.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

It can sometimes be easy to get the capacity increased and sometimes it's a lot more difficult, it will largely depend on what needs doing, If it's something simple like changing a line card at each end of the link it might not take long

But if it needs an addational fibre running in or new equipment installing to handle the higher speeds then it can be a lot harder, particularly if they need to lay additional ducting/cabling physically depending on where it's got to connect to.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast