Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Just got the SR102

This is a discussion on Just got the SR102 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie Faceplate: BT vDSL NTE5 Filtered Faceplate|Interstitial Faceplate Fitting one is really simple: Remove original faceplate (not ...

SOF006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: BT Hub 6 (BT Smart HUB)
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Just got the SR102

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Faceplate:
      BT vDSL NTE5 Filtered Faceplate|Interstitial Faceplate

Fitting one is really simple: Remove original faceplate (not a filtered faceplate) on NTE5 Master Socket. Leave any extension wires attached. Fit VDSL filtered faceplate, moving any extension wires through gap on front. Fit original NTE5 on VDSL faceplate. Done.

Generally Fibre will not be activated early.
      Hmm not bad price, thanks!

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

People report that their fibre works fine with the older style faceplates. However, BT do not redesign faceplates lightly, the cost is huge. We have customers that have swapped to the new faceplate & seen improvements. It's not that the old faceplates do not work just that they are not designed for vDSL & when BT start using extra bands you won't see any improvement. We hope to have a new version vDSL faceplate in the coming months (from another BT approved supplier).
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

Angel_Rex (29-10-13),Scubbie (29-10-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      People report that their fibre works fine with the older style faceplates. However, BT do not redesign faceplates lightly, the cost is huge. We have customers that have swapped to the new faceplate & seen improvements. It's not that the old faceplates do not work just that they are not designed for vDSL & when BT start using extra bands you won't see any improvement. We hope to have a new version vDSL faceplate in the coming months (from another BT approved supplier).

Hmm I may hold off and wait for the newer design then, I hope to eventually take advantage of faster speeds once they're available

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

It won't be available until probably 2014 now, they've only just finished the design & it's going through the IP lawyers The current versions are fine for all available products, IIRC the new versions are for when they decide to role out 150mb+ services...
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      It won't be available until probably 2014 now, they've only just finished the design & it's going through the IP lawyers The current versions are fine for all available products, IIRC the new versions are for when they decide to role out 150mb+ services...
      Oh I see, oh well I can't wait then :P excited for the future

Thanks

Just got the SR102-untitled.jpg

My line stats... What is going on with the line attenuation? Haha I am connected to an exchange that is literally outside my home. I watched the guy who was doing my install actually install my fibre today..

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Fibre stats are a little different to ADSL and ADSL2+ stats, so please forgive me for not understanding them fully in relation to your speed.

Perhaps someone who was involved in the SR102 beta group could chip in to comment?

Also I doubt very much that your FTTC connection goes directly to the exchange. Currently it will have to go via a street cabinet, then on to the exchange. It is the distance between your master socket and the fibre cabinet which will be the issue as that is using the copper cable.

BTO are working to improve the situation for those who are connected directly to an exchange. Currently they cannot get a FTTC or FTTP product, although they are trialling things in some parts of the country.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Fibre stats are a little different to ADSL and ADSL2+ stats, so please forgive me for not understanding them fully in relation to your speed.

Perhaps someone who was involved in the SR102 beta group could chip in to comment?

Also I doubt very much that your FTTC connection goes directly to the exchange. Currently it will have to go via a street cabinet, then on to the exchange. It is the distance between your master socket and the fibre cabinet which will be the issue as that is using the copper cable.

BTO are working to improve the situation for those who are connected directly to an exchange. Currently they cannot get a FTTC or FTTP product, although they are trialling things in some parts of the country.
      What I meant by "exchange" was the cabinet outside yes, excuse the lack of the correct term I apologise haha. As it is my telephone wirebox (whatever it is) was right next to one of those openreach FTTC cabinets so my guess is he hooked me up to that thing?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Ok, two things to note at this stage:

1. based on discussions in this thread, you don't have the VDSL filtered faceplate. This could make a difference, although you are pretty close to the max anyway (13kbps short isn't a major problem)
      2. avoid turning off your SR102 router repeatedly to improve things. With the SFUP you are subject to BTO's DLM which can cripple your connection if you do this

P.S. Could you update your profile please and also chip in to the 'Who's got fibre thread'.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Ok, two things to note at this stage:

1. based on discussions in this thread, you don't have the VDSL filtered faceplate. This could make a difference, although you are pretty close to the max anyway (13kbps short isn't a major problem)
      2. avoid turning off your SR102 router repeatedly to improve things. With the SFUP you are subject to BTO's DLM which can cripple your connection if you do this

P.S. Could you update your profile please and also chip in to the 'Who's got fibre thread'.
      Yeah don't worry I haven't switched off the router. I know from the past experiences with DLM not to touch the router haha. Also I shall update everything yes and put my input

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast