Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection speed on status page != actual usage speed

This is a discussion on Connection speed on status page != actual usage speed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Having had Fibre installed a couple or 3 weeks ago, I was wondering how long it took for the line ...

nsviper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cumbernauld (WSCUM)
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Need to check
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Connection speed on status page != actual usage speed

Having had Fibre installed a couple or 3 weeks ago, I was wondering how long it took for the line to "settle down" and get to the advertised connection speeds.

Modem status page shows connected at 40/10 - I can get the 10 upload no problem, but download is between 15 and 28 at best.

100m from the fibre cabinet, modem in master socket, router right next to it, and running speedtest via wired connection.

Should I be querying with Sky support, or am I being impatient?

Andy
      I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty, i just want to know who's been drinking my pint!!!

Gallery...http://andy-stewart.deviantart.com/gallery

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Connection speed on status page != actual usage speed

If the router is syncing at 40/10 then it is not going to get any better unless you upgrade to Pro. Your problem appears to be throughput, which could indicate a problem at the local exchange. Enter your post code on this page and see if any problems have been reported for your exchange. Broadband and Talk service updates | Sky Customer Support

Even though your exchange is not listed, it is still possible it is having problems, just they have not been reported. All you can do is call Sky and report that you are having throughput problems.

You should also try different testers as some are still not up to fibre speeds. One of the better ones is the JD Autospeedtester, it works on multi streams and can save the results. Worth running - JD's Auto Speed Tester - Home

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

nsviper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cumbernauld (WSCUM)
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Need to check
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Connection speed on status page != actual usage speed

Tried that JD Auto tester last night with laptop wired directly to router.

Was getting 36d/8u after several tests, so yes it seems to have settled down to a better speed now after a couple of weeks.
      I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty, i just want to know who's been drinking my pint!!!

Gallery...http://andy-stewart.deviantart.com/gallery