Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Upgrading to Sky Fibre Pro

This is a discussion on Upgrading to Sky Fibre Pro within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just wondering, if I was to call Sky this Saturday and ask about upgrading to Fibre Pro. How long would ...

SOF006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: BT Hub 6 (BT Smart HUB)
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Just wondering, if I was to call Sky this Saturday and ask about upgrading to Fibre Pro. How long would it take for an engineer to come to my house and set it up?

Also another question, I recently called Sky to reduce my bill. The man on the phone said this would renew my contract for another 12 months, does this stop me from being able to upgrade to Sky Fibre Pro?

Thanks in advance guys!

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Re: Upgrading to Sky Fibre Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SOF006 View Post
      Just wondering, if I was to call Sky this Saturday and ask about upgrading to Fibre Pro. How long would it take for an engineer to come to my house and set it up?
      That would depend on how busy the Openreach engineers are in your area.
      It was around 2 weeks when I upgraded.
      I presume you have checked that Fibre is available at your exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by SOF006 View Post
      Also another question, I recently called Sky to reduce my bill. The man on the phone said this would renew my contract for another 12 months, does this stop me from being able to upgrade to Sky Fibre Pro?

Thanks in advance guys!
      Whatever deals you have just negotiated to reduce your bill wouldn't effect whether you can get fibre or not.
      Taking fibre if available would tie you in for 12 months for your bb and line rental.

SOF006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: BT Hub 6 (BT Smart HUB)
      Thanks

Ah I see its because when we went to reduce our bill when we called the man on the phone said that after he reduced the bill this in turn caused another 12 month period. So this doesn't effect my ability to upgrade at all whatsoever? Thats great if thats the case. And as for 2 weeks thats fine, I was hoping it was less that 3 or so because I am sick of my internet cutting in and out.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Do you know why your Internet connection is cutting in and out?

Whilst you'll get a new router (Sky Hub SR101 or SR102), the copper from your home to the cabinet will be the same. It is from there that things change for the broadband connection.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Johnelf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ewell
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub 4
      Thanks

Have you considered jumping ship to BT.
      Cheaper than Sky Pro, also get cash voucher incentives, better router and BT Sports for free.

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jdsimp1234 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWBNP - Bridgend .South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

only problem with BT broadband is that their broadband packages, come with major netowrk trafficking, same as virgin media, which means deliberate slow internet times, and I dont know about any of the plusnet broadband & fibre-optic products even tho plusnet broadband & fibre-optic products are hooked onto the BT network, sky is also hooked onto BTs fibre-optic network, in partnership with BT, but they dont have any network trafficking whatsoever...plus sky are fast...tho the prices are not that competitive at the moment.

Johnelf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ewell
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub 4
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdsimp1234 View Post
      only problem with BT broadband is that their broadband packages, come with major netowrk trafficking, same as virgin media, which means deliberate slow internet times, and I dont know about any of the plusnet broadband & fibre-optic products even tho plusnet broadband & fibre-optic products are hooked onto the BT network, sky is also hooked onto BTs fibre-optic network, in partnership with BT, but they dont have any network trafficking whatsoever...plus sky are fast...tho the prices are not that competitive at the moment.
      BT do not have any trafficking. They are unlimited and never slow you down.
      From their website. 'Totally Unlimited' means that you will be able to enjoy catch-up TV, streamed films, online gaming and other bandwidth-eating applications and we'll never slow you down.

They are cheaper than Sky, better router and you can use a router of your choice is you desire. 50 sainsburys voucher and BT sports. You would save a fair bit.

John

Thanks

Whilst BT Retail did finally change their fibre packages to support the totally unlimited product, their was some concern that they would still deliberately slow you down at peak times. Has this too been squashed now?

Also from personal experience, I am not impressed by their call centres. Having had people hang up on me, lie through their teeth, mess things up repeatedly and then totally ignore a written request, I could never recommend BT Retail for customer service.

I had one issue with Sky's customer services shortly after joining. This was resolved promptly and I have never had it repeated.

mcpx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Have to agree with Scubbie here, my parents have just dumped bt and gone back to virgin. Nothing to do with speed, they had issue after issue with bt and the customer service was atrocious. They moved initially because it was cheaper (very basic tv + bb) but it was just not worth the saving.

I have just been through all the small print while looking to switch to fibre and while I totally agree that Skys pricing is not all that competitive, especially when you look at things like talk talk, I have never had an issue with them in 4 years and I know that I am not going to have my bb throttled back under any circumstances. BT do still manage traffic speeds just like every other provider, they prioritise certain types of traffic (such as voip and gaming) while reducing speeds for things like p2p connections. That sounds distinctly like a traffic management policy to me.

To the op, you may not need an engineer visit at all because sky are now issuing the updated black hub which has the fibre modem built in, not so much a self install option but more plug and play. From phone call to activation was about 10 days for me, but for at least 2 of those my hub was sat in a Parcelforce warehouse being 'processed'!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcpx View Post
      Have to agree with Scubbie here, my parents have just dumped bt and gone back to virgin. Nothing to do with speed, they had issue after issue with bt and the customer service was atrocious. They moved initially because it was cheaper (very basic tv + bb) but it was just not worth the saving.
      Sad to see that this is still the case.

I know that the reports generated by Ofcom suggest that BT are doing well, but the same category of criticisms seem to be present. Sure my own experiences were not good and I moved to Sky about a month after they cut me off for not paying the bill (their mess, not mine) and I joined this forum soon after that. My issues went on for over 6 months and no one was interested in resolving it professionally.

...BT do still manage traffic speeds just like every other provider, they prioritise certain types of traffic (such as voip and gaming) while reducing speeds for things like p2p connections. That sounds distinctly like a traffic management policy to me.
      It certainly does.

Let's remember though that as a direct consequence Sky do have issues with different exchanges from time to time. During peak times the backhaul is very busy and everyone on the exchange is affected. However they are watching these and reports from across the forums are being picked up by both Sky's on-line team and those of us in the Super User group. The network team often know before we find the reports and are already working to get the backhaul capacity increased. The fixes require outside contractors though and can take a few months to resolve.

To the op, you may not need an engineer visit at all because sky are now issuing the updated black hub which has the fibre modem built in, not so much a self install option but more plug and play. From phone call to activation was about 10 days for me, but for at least 2 of those my hub was sat in a Parcelforce warehouse being 'processed'!
      Are we sure that the SR102 is now being sent out as standard?

My last information was that selected people were receiving the SR102, but most were still getting the SR101.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast