Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

Upgrading to Sky Fibre Pro

This is a discussion on Upgrading to Sky Fibre Pro within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I placed my order on 25/09/13 and the operator was unable to get me an engineer appointment. She called back ...

mcpx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Upgrading to Sky Fibre Pro

I placed my order on 25/09/13 and the operator was unable to get me an engineer appointment. She called back 10 minutes later and said that she had been informed that I was not going to need an engineer because they were sending out the new hub from that date.

It did sound a little convenient, especially as she had already offered me free installation, so maybe they are only using it as a retention thing.

2. Advertisement
      placcychicken is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCGAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

We switched to sky fibre last wed 9/10/13 and got the sr101 with an engineer install.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

No problem.

Self-installation is a new thing that Sky are now trialling now that the Sky Hub SR102 is at a suitable stage where the developers are happy for it to be released to the public outside the beta group.

Not all the teams who are taking orders for Sky Fibre are currently able to use this trial option.

As for the installation fee, some members have reported that they were charged this and were supplied the SR102. So I think it is safe to say that you got a good deal in this respect.

However many regular members, including myself, are not keen on FTTC Self-installation. Too many people bodged it with ADSL and just as many are bodging it IMHO with ADSL2+. Often they will be unaware that their setup is impairing the performance of their connection so will not be doing anything about it. With Fibre though this can really make a large difference to your connection speed.

The best advice I can present at the present time is as follows:

1. If you do not have an NTE5 Socket as the Master Socket, get one fitted. Remember too that you should only have one master socket fitted
      2. Ensure that the outside cable comes directly to your Master Socket. Use Gel Crimps if needs, don't use Junction Boxes which are corroded or will corrode
      3. Use the best spec cable that OR would use when replacing cable from outside to the master socket and use good quality cable for any internal extensions
      4. Fit the VDSL filtered faceplate
      5. Connect the BTO Modem or SR102 using a good quality RJ11 cable or the supplied RJ11 cable which comes with the router. If you must make up a cable yourself, use good quality Cat 5e cable and don't make a cable longer than the 30m that BTO would have used

One advantage of have a separate Modem Router is that you can place the router, with it's WiFi, up to 100m from the Modem by using a suitable Ethernet cable. This is limited to 30m with the RJ11 cable if you make one yourself.

Of course the above opinions may change as people start getting self installations and better experience develops.
      andrewjr likes this.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12