Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

No Engineer to setup New Fibre connection

This is a discussion on No Engineer to setup New Fibre connection within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; In now thanks with chrome only weird thing is im losing some speed 1st picture is old netgear router 2nd ...

1downswing1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: No Engineer to setup New Fibre connection

In now thanks with chrome only weird thing is im losing some speed

1st picture is old netgear router

2nd result is new router maybe just worrying about to much

No Engineer to setup New Fibre connection-jdast_results_2013-10-15_19-16.jpg

No Engineer to setup New Fibre connection-jdast_results_2013-10-17_16-14.jpg

you can see why now cant wait for fibre although for years these speeds have served me well apart from the odd buffering issue

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Has your sync speed changed? Speed tests can vary from day to day.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Has your sync speed changed? Speed tests can vary from day to day.
      It went down last night when my son connected his laptop after being online about 5 mins the router rebooted itself never had that happen in 8 or so years will miss the good old netgear lol but speeds seem stable

gamesaregood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Foxhall
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Ordered the upgrade yesterday and was told self install was the only option

I currently have an ADSL Nation faceplate, do you think it would be best to leave this and just connect it to the router?

Will the filters sent by Sky for Fibre be any different to ADSL ones?

Thanks

You are probably better leaving the Filtered faceplate as it is for the time being. The filters supplied with the Hub are unlikely to be any different to those supplied with an ADSL version of the Hub. You could try plugging one into the Test socket and check the stats against the filtered faceplate just to be sure the plate is performing properly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

gamesaregood (20-10-13)

stjimmy1980 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Herne Bay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gamesaregood View Post
      Ordered the upgrade yesterday and was told self install was the only option

I currently have an ADSL Nation faceplate, do you think it would be best to leave this and just connect it to the router?

Will the filters sent by Sky for Fibre be any different to ADSL ones?

Sorry to jump in,
      Are sky still charging 50 nicker for self install?
      I know some work still required by the engineer, but the one off fee is only thing stopping me upgrading at the moment. I have sky line and bb but no tv so doubt they will negotiate!

Regards jimmy
      Toshiba 40rv753, Sky HD Amstrad drx890, Onky Amp Hts 3305, Phat Sony Playstation 500gb.

Cnxtion Speed 19476 kbps 1023 kbps, Line Attenuation 13.5 dB 8.0 dB, Noise Margin 7.0 dB 8.0 dB Ping: 34 ms

Psn : stjimmy1980 Twitter : jimmyoxford

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stjimmy1980 View Post
      Sorry to jump in,
      Are sky still charging 50 nicker for self install?
      I know some work still required by the engineer, but the one off fee is only thing stopping me upgrading at the moment. I have sky line and bb but no tv so doubt they will negotiate!

Regards jimmy
      Yes still 50 connection fee and i rang many times before to try and get a deal they would not budge maybe im just unlucky lol

Misguided is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMRJ
      Router: SR102
      Thanks

A couple of months ago I made some enquiries about upgrading from unlimited broadband to fibre unlimited. I then got a phone call offering free installation and 6 months half price which I turned down as I had been annoyed with Sky’s online support and was considering switching provider
      Anyway two months on and I’ve found that I’ve switched my Sky phone package and therefor kicked off a new 12 month contract so might as well try Sky fibre. Phoned up and asked for the previous offer – can’t have it they say. OK give me cancellations – yes you can have it with free installation and 6 months free! New router to be supplied in 5-10 working days – self install – and service to start on receipt of router. I questioned this and was told I just need to plug it in and I would be away.
      Questions are: is this correct? I understand something has to be done at the cabinet. Does the router work in either ADSL mode or “fibre” mode and detect automatically? Are they just saying this so that my free period starts as soon as possible?

mrbish82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I called Sky last tuesday (15th) to cancel the TV and after it was cancelled and i was asked if there was anything else they could help me with, i enquired about fibre, i was told it was available but the 50 fee would have to be paid if i didn't have the TV package on my account, so he reverted my TV cancellation for the time being, placed an order for fibre with no installation fee.

Now i don't know if that was just a ploy to get me to keep the TV package for another month (and possibly forget to cancel again) or if they genuinely don't charge 50 for installation as long as you are a TV customer. I still got a letter saying my TV service will cease next month so i'm not even sure what's going on there!

Thanks

Questions are: is this correct? I understand something has to be done at the cabinet. Does the router work in either ADSL mode or “fibre” mode and detect automatically? Are they just saying this so that my free period starts as soon as possible?
      The engineer still has to go to the cabinet to make the connection to fibre. The router works in ADSL or Fibre mode. You should be able to plug it into your ADSL connection and when Fibre is activated it will drop the connection and reconnect using Fibre. For this to happen you must leave the router mode set to Auto. When the Fibre is enabled you can then set the mode to WANOE only as this encourages a quicker reconnection should you be disconnected.
      speedyrite likes this.

TomD

Useful Utilites

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Misguided (21-10-13)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast