Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree3Likes
    • 3 Post By Snak3zZ

My Adventure with Sky Fibre

This is a discussion on My Adventure with Sky Fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I would like to get an opinion on here on if I have a right to complain to ...

Snak3zZ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDCAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

My Adventure with Sky Fibre

Hi all,

I would like to get an opinion on here on if I have a right to complain to Sky or not and if I do what I should expect from them. I personally believe I do have a right to complain but I want to get the neutral view here from some people who have experienced issues before.

I will try and be brief so I will put this into bullet points of each thing that happened:

1. Moved into a new property on 10th August and wanted to sign up for Sky Fibre w/ Telephone as they had the better deal. Date set for 28th August to setup.
      2. 20th August I get a email and text to say my order had been cancelled, spend over 3 hours on the phone between Sky and Openreach being told numerous possible issues and eventually find it was in relation to the previouos owners still having a job outstanding to move their phone number.
      3. Renew the order with Sky and get told 9th September for setup, took it on the chin.
      4. 9th September, no show from Openreach (Not Sky's fault).
      5. Told by Sky to wait in the property for the next few days, no Openreach engineer arrived (Had my 80+ year old Grandparents waiting).
      6. Phone call from Sky to confirm the following week 16th September that the Openreach engineer would visit.
      7. Engineer arrived and setup the phone but not the fibre.
      8. Called Sky, spoke to a manager who then proceeded to lock the order so no one could touch it and said I would get a call and he would push me to a priority call.
      9. Had no phone call, called and spoke to a lady called Lynn who told me everything had been done incorrectly by this manager and she proceeded to unlock the order and re-book a fibre install for 25th September.
      10. 25th September the Engineer turned up and waited outside for 20 minutes and was trying to call me as he did not know the flat number. Fortunately he got through to me on his last try (I had bad signal) and I informed him of the correct address (Phew!). He did a sterling job and its now all working.

So overall I spent 45 days without Internet, I use it for my work and as everyone would these days for banking, shopping, social etc. Its amazing how much you need it.

What do you think? Is it pointless to complain? Am I just being fussy?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: My Adventure with Sky Fibre

The outstanding issues with the previous occupiers can be a problem. It should have taken 3 weeks for your line to have cleared. This is down to BTO and the previous owners to resolve.

The no-show is, as you correctly point out, down to BTO, not Sky.

However, we all need to go through Sky, not BTO, to put any complaints in. You can also register a complaint with Ofcom, but they will take the details only, no compensation. However if 1,000s do this, then they will pick up a pattern and perhaps fine BTO, eating into their profits.

What I would suggest is that if you have had to run up mobile Internet costs and excessive mobile phone bills AFTER the original installation date, that you should consider approaching Sky for this as recompense. It is then for Sky to chase BTO for any compensation issues. You may be asked to provide receipts for this compensation.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Nothing to stop you complaining, but the main culprit for your problems would appear to be BTO, who did not move the previous owners phone quickly enough and did not turn up on the appointed dates. Sky are at the mercy of BTO when it comes to installations and faults. The only blame that could be attached to Sky was that a manager failed to handle the problem correctly which led to a few days delay. Sky are good at compensating customers and may offer you free broadband or phone rental for a few months. As far as compensation for loss of earnings is concerned you can forget that. Sky are a domestic broadband supplier who will not be held responsible for any business or work related losses.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Snak3zZ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDCAS
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Thanks for the response, I called them just now, spoke to a very helpful lady who I explained everything to. She offered me 3 months free so I took that. I think that is more than reasonable considering BTO have been the ones at fault in 99% of these issues.

Thanks again!
      Isitme, bubblegun and Scubbie like this.