Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions about Fibre

This is a discussion on Questions about Fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, We currently have Sky Broadband Unlimited and Sky Talk, I called Sky this afternoon for info about upgrading to ...

CBG
      CBG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01522 - Lincoln - (SLBWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Virgin Media
      Thanks

Questions about Fibre

Hi,

We currently have Sky Broadband Unlimited and Sky Talk, I called Sky this afternoon for info about upgrading to Sky Fibre.

They said there would be a 50 activation charge as an engineer needs to come out, is this correct?

They also said they don't know what sort of speed I would get, what I thought was strange, anyway I went to BT (this link) and put in the phone number and it came back and said I would get 61Mb.

So if I went with Sky Fibre 40Mb package, I should get full speed, going by what BT said.
      I know before we signed up to Sky I check Sky Fibre, with our address as we didn't have a line and it said 40Mb - 40Mb

So would you take it for grated you would get the full sync speed?
      Regards,
      CBG (Garry)

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: Questions about Fibre

Firstly it sounds like you got through to someone who knows nothing about Sky Fibre.

All ISPs are required to provide an estimate of your connection speed. As you have correctly worked out though, if the BT Infinity site is suggesting that you can get 61mb, then getting the SFU product will mean that you should expect to get 40mb download speed and 10mb upload speed. There could be line issues which can affect this.

Should you go for the SFUP product, then as a minimum you should expect to get 61mb d/l. The site would have suggested an upload speed. In practise if the cabinet is fairly empty, then you have a good change of getting a faster connection. As it fills up with your neighbours it is likely to drop to the estimated speed. As an idea my estimate was ~63mb and I got in early to my cabinet.

As for the installation cost, sadly Sky does tend to charge this. They have been known to waive it occasionally, but not much recently. With the introduction of Sky's new router due soon, this may change.

By the way, just for clarity the speeds I have mentioned are the connection speeds. Comparing with a speed test site will show a lower speed than the connection speed, but should not be far off.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

CBG (18-09-13)

CBG
      Thanks

It sounded to me that she wasn't really interested.

BT say:

Download: Up to 61Mb
      Upload: Up to 20Mb

So if I sync at 40Mb, does that mean I would get around 38Mb as it says on the advert on Sky site?
      Regards,
      CBG (Garry)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Provided that you have a suitable computer, then yes I would expect to see speedtest results around 38mb/s.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

CBG (18-09-13)

jdsimp1234 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWBNP - Bridgend .South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

if you need the change to SFU...then i would say see if you got enough to pay for the 50 fee, then, go for it, or you can try to get the fee waivered by sky...if its more of a want then, time to think about the fee...you could say how long you have been a loyal sky customer, in a polite way...and see what sky say...if they still say pay the fee, time to ask for cancellations department...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jdsimp1234 For This Useful Post:

CBG (18-09-13)

CBG
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Provided that you have a suitable computer, then yes I would expect to see speedtest results around 38mb/s.
      Yeh my PC can do it, I can push over 126Mb on my PC easy, when Virgin Media is working ok.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsimp1234 View Post
      if you need the change to SFU...then i would say see if you got enough to pay for the 50 fee, then, go for it, or you can try to get the fee waivered by sky...if its more of a want then, time to think about the fee...you could say how long you have been a loyal sky customer, in a polite way...and see what sky say...if they still say pay the fee, time to ask for cancellations department...
      I will be ordering Fibre next month when I have the money, as we really need the extra send, as we have a couple of PCs, Xbox 360, iPad and Mobile.
      We only joined sky on the 6th September 2013, phone went live on the 9th and net (ADSL2) on the 16th.

I am in no major rush to get the Fibre, but what to get it sorted so we can drop the Virgin Media internet down.
      I am just fed up with VM and trying to gaming, I lag 50% of the time be it on the PC or Xbox 360.

I heard VM customer going to BT/Sky for Fibre and saying how much better it is, so thought I have some of that.
      So got the phone line setup with Sky and got ADSL2, ready for going Fibre.
      Regards,
      CBG (Garry)

Thanks

what sort of games are you running, by any chance...if its any steam games, then sky is very good at speeds...on SFUP you can pings of 5 - 15 to UK/EU servers, and 85 - 149 pings to the US, on SFU you will get around 15 - 25 ping to UK/EU servers, and around 100 - 200 ping to US servers, as i was on SFU for over 1 year, before moving on to SFUP...i wanted SFUP so i went for it later on after SFU...but bare in mind that SFU is 20 a month, and SFUP is 30 a month...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jdsimp1234 For This Useful Post:

CBG (18-09-13)

CBG
      Thanks

Hi,

I am just getting back into PC, due to the Xbox One coming out and the price of it.

I have been playing Call of Duty: World at War on dedicated servers and my pings are about 57 on Sky.
      I do have some Steam games, but don't play them that much at the moment and Origin/EA (BF3 etc...) games.

On the Xbox 360 I am playing CoD: Black Ops 2 (which is know for lag), Battlefield 3 on the dedicated server we have, normally only get lag when everyone else does.
      I do have CoD: Ghost pre-ordered on the Xbox 360 but thinking about getting it on the PC, as I am sure the Xbox 360 will be back for lag like CoD: Black Ops 2 is.

Yeh I am going to get the Sky Fibre Unlimited 40Mb/10Mb package and look at maybe getting the pro version at a later date, depending if I need that extra bit of speed.

I am not a heavy user really, just like to gaming and Stream over Spotify at the same time sometimes, while the other PC and the rest are connected.
      The reason for having 120Mb with Virgin Media, is due to there Traffic Management.
      Regards,
      CBG (Garry)

Thanks

as with most brand new things, they start off high priced, then gradually reduce in price, look at the xbox360(i own one), didnt it start off at roughly 400 - 450? now its gone down to 250 - 350? i remember buying mine at 369 or 269 in cash either one from the game stores, with 2 games of my choice included...kinect sports & michael jackson dancing...LOL! and rest of the games I have bought since are mostly pre-owned bought...

jrfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Thanks

I get a pretty consistant 28 ping to the EU World Of Tanks server. I have never had any lag at all.

It's nice to be able to game online again. With Virgin it was just a waste of time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast