Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree6Likes
    • 6 Post By leckytech

On a more positive note!

This is a discussion on On a more positive note! within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Sorry but just felt I needed to register and post my experience of transfer from O2 ADSL to ...

leckytech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

On a more positive note!

Hi all,

Sorry but just felt I needed to register and post my experience of transfer from O2 ADSL to SF Pro. There are a lot of negative experiences on here and I guess that's what forums are all about but to the uninitiated it can frighten you off a particular product. I was ready to call up sky and cancel my order based on others experiences not just on here but other forums as well. However, it wasnt until I looked at the BT forums that you realise sky seem to be in far better shape with much much better CS and online help like this here forum.

I thought I was going to get a no show on the day of my engineer's visit but he turned up bang on time and when asked if he was flat out busy he said fibre uptake was slow and yesterday he had no jobs at all! Everything went smooth during the install and took approx 20 mins to complete after he made a short trip to the local cab.

All sync'ed up at 80/20 with no probs whatsoever. Fibre is bloody awesome Ive went from 3meg adsl to this

On a more positive note!-wohoooooooooooooooooooooooooo.jpg

Yeah the supplied router's wireless capability is not the best but its ok and alternative's can be used with a little jiggery pokery.

So to anyone out there worried about sky fibre, dont be, they're actually alright although they're TV service winds me up and is far too expensive I dont have a bad word to say about their fibre product.

Good luck

Paul
      speedyrite, Isitme, jrfer and 3 others like this.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: On a more positive note!

Welcome to the forum leckytech and nice to see that you are happy with what you have there.

As you say forums are where many people come because they have an issue with something. The kind of feedback can indicate whether there is an issue or not with something, but in this case SFUP is a good product IMHO (Ok, I may be biased since I have it too).

There are some good guides on this forum if you are interested in setting up your own router to be used on the connection. Essentially you have five choices depending on which router/WiFi extender you go for and there are guides covering each option:

1. Connect up a WiFi Extender and place it in a good position to provide a 2nd WiFi hot spot
      2. Piggyback an old router. Again place this at some distance to the Sky Hub SR101 so as to give a new WiFi hot spot
      3. Connect a cable router via the WAN port and disable the Sky Hub's WiFi
      4. Swap out the Sky Hub SR101 and use your own Cable router
      5. Swap out the BTO Modem and Sky Hub and use a suitable router with a VDSL Modem built in

As for the price of the TV packages, this is a hot topic with some people and will always remain so.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

ShadowTD is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: TP-Link 1043 / DD-WRT
      Thanks

Another happy new customer here! I've switched from Infinity 2 to standard Sky Fibre without even an engineer visit. I wasn't sure how well this would work, but Sky took over the line at midday when they said they would and the fibre was available less than two hours later! Admittedly, it's only taken me a week to fall out with the Sky Hub but I was prepared for that (thank god for DD-WRT!). The TV installation a few days previous was similarly hassle free. So far, so good!

Essex_N17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAHLW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: SR101 & WRT54G (DD-WRT)
      Thanks

Another happy customer here, as well!
      VM wouldn't offer me any deals, and told me I'd have to pay for a router upgrade to get 60Mb - in spite of me being a customer with them since the dial-up era!
      So, I took the plunge and went with Sky.
      As others had said, I was also nervous about getting it, due to the reviews. So much so, I didn't arrange for my VM BB to be turned off until 2 weeks after the SF had been installed.
      I needn't have worried.

(I hope I haven't spoken too soon...)