Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree29Likes

Sky Fibre install diary

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre install diary within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all FTTC recently became available at my home - been quoted speeds of 66 down and "up to" 20 ...

AaronYuri is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bargoed
      Broadband ISP: BB Un (soon to be Fibre Pro)
      Router: Netgear DGN3500
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky Fibre install diary

Hello all

FTTC recently became available at my home - been quoted speeds of 66 down and "up to" 20 up. Since I placed the first order on the cab, however, I think I may get some slightly improved figures, and being a mere 150m from the cab is going to help too. As the cab becomes more congested, I do expect this to drop due to crossover, though.

I ordered Sky's 80/20 package on Friday 30 Aug, where they said it would be a wires only install (which I triple checked with them) and they confirmed this to be the case. The representative said an engineer visit to the premises would not be a necessary and he would only need to visit the cab. I disagreed having seen the BTW FTTC roadmap; BT's internal trial for wires only installs were scheduled to end in August, with CPEs testing from there. Alas, I could not change the rep's mind, despite saying that I currently have Sky's LLU ADSL2+ and not a VDSL faceplate, nor fibre modem. He then proceeded to tell me that Sky were providing their own 'all-in-one' unit and that I would not need an Openreach VDSL2 modem. I forfeited at this point and decided to check out the information over the weekend.

Needless to say, I came up short. I called them again, told them to book an engineer visit to install the fibre modem, and IF they did supply an AIO unit, I didn't want it. The rep advised that the order was placed wrong - as if I were swapping fibre services and not moving from ADSL. She sorted this, and disappointingly, I could not get any form of a refund. Oh well.

Anyway, the engineer is booked for Tuesday 17th this month between 8-6PM.

I'll update this thread when the engineer shows up! I'll be sure to take some pictures.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AaronYuri For This Useful Post:

speedyrite (05-09-13)

3. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky Fibre install diary

It sounds like Sky are now starting to ship the Sky Hub SR102 which apparently does not require a BTO Modem.

This being the case, I would suggest the following:

Order yourself a VDSL faceplate from run-it-direct once you are connected (just in case) and fit it in your Master Socket, provided that you have an NTE5 socket.

NTE5 Socket

Openreach&#8482 Branded BT vDSL Interstitial Faceplate

If you don't have an NTE5 socket, check everywhere firt and see if you can positively identify the Master Socket. It will have a resister behind the faceplate (typically blue and the size of a AAA battery). Post a photo if you are unsure.

Also it would be appreciated if you could make a post in the thread linked below:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...re-thread.html

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

speedyrite (05-09-13)

AaronYuri is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bargoed
      Broadband ISP: BB Un (soon to be Fibre Pro)
      Router: Netgear DGN3500
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply, Scubbie. I'm going to place my faith on the BTO engineer installing their VDSL faceplate (after all, I did pay 50 for the activation), replacing my current ADSL one. It ought to come out of their pocket considering that's what I paid for and specifically requested.

I know the master socket for sure, rest assured. I'm not new to any of this...
      speedyrite likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

No problem. Sometimes it is easier to make things clear early on. Also someone else may read the thread and it'll answer the same questions for them as well.
      speedyrite likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I would have loved to have the SR102, now I have to hide the big Openreach moden behind a shoe rack.
      speedyrite likes this.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      It sounds like Sky are now starting to ship the Sky Hub SR102 which apparently does not require a BTO Modem.

This being the case, I would suggest the following:

Order yourself a VDSL faceplate from run-it-direct once you are connected (just in case) and fit it in your Master Socket, provided that you have an NTE5 socket.
      New Customer sales and selected advisors that do both are now trialling the self-install Fibre option before it's rolled out to the wider sales floor.

I had thought they would be sent the new faceplate with the SR102, though. A lot of people like that they don't need a filter hanging out of the socket.
      speedyrite likes this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bubblegun For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (06-09-13)

Shahmed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oxford
      Router: E4200 (Hopefully...)
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

OP check this source. Little more info on the wires-only install. From my understanding you need to agree to the wires-only install as it's still in a trial period. Here's hoping you get a VDSL plate having called up afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Monday View Post
      I would have loved to have the SR102, now I have to hide the big Openreach moden behind a shoe rack.
      I'd rather not have a microfilter hanging out of the socket. Also if they're using ISP's modems I imagine it won't be long before we can get third party ones on there.
      speedyrite likes this.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monday View Post
      I'm the complete opposite, I really don't want an All in one Piece of junk unless it has a pure bridge mode that gives me the Wan IP directly on my own device.

I don't care what the T&C's say about that either, if Sky want to make an issue of it they can kick me off and I'll just move to someone who will let me use my own router.

Now of course if I have a problem with my Line I'm happy to connect their router so they can troubleshoot it properly, it's unreasonable to expect them to support the use of a 3rd party router but they really shouldn't be specifically excluding it.
      speedyrite, jrfer, Scubbie and 2 others like this.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      I'm the complete opposite, I really don't want an All in one Piece of junk unless it has a pure bridge mode that gives me the Wan IP directly on my own device.

I don't care what the T&C's say about that either, if Sky want to make an issue of it they can kick me off and I'll just move to someone who will let me use my own router.

Now of course if I have a problem with my Line I'm happy to connect their router so they can troubleshoot it properly, it's unreasonable to expect them to support the use of a 3rd party router but they really shouldn't be specifically excluding it.
      I'm with YOU on this point.

I had Virgin before the "Pooper-hub" days and the modem with any router past that point was a great way to offer the service.

[I may go back to them too as the Openreach Fibre roll-out seems to be missing my cabinet! Hey, less than a 700 people on my exchange registered for the "race to infinity" but I was one of the few!!! Yet my cabinet is being passed by!!! Not impressed to be honest.]

The modem-only mode which they enabled later was the best option for power users.

Sky have, whether they like it or not, a lot of (technologically speaking) early adopters on their service - they were one of the first big ISP's to offer ADSL2+ speeds in a LOT of exchanges so a lot of their longest standing customers switched to them for this reason. These are exactly the kind of people who want THE BEST service they can get and for a lot of them the all-in-one router/modem doesn't give that.

I think IMHO that they should seriously consider some kind of modem only mode in the SR102 if they want these people to stick around as the new BT, Virgin and even talktalk routers look to offer better performance from built-in functions. Only virgin do modem-only mode ATM so this would appease power users who want a bit/lot more than standard functionality.
      speedyrite, jrfer, Scubbie and 1 others like this.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Completely agree with dragon2611 and bubblegun. My info is that the SR102 doesn't have a modem only mode.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast