Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

New Fibre Order Confusion with Sky's System

This is a discussion on New Fibre Order Confusion with Sky's System within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I'd just like to get some opinions / predictions as to how this is going to end up ...

antonusklesk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Manchester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

New Fibre Order Confusion with Sky's System

Hi all,

I'd just like to get some opinions / predictions as to how this is going to end up panning out.

To summarise where I am currently:

Fibre became available at my cabinet (8) after being available at my exchange (Manchester Central) for a long time. Sky's availability checker along with all other major fibre-providers showed I could now get fibre. On August 17th I was told by Sky I could not order fibre and line-rental at the same time and that I needed to put line-rental through separately. On September 3rd, line rental finally completed the transfer, and currently all Sky's regular sales advisers tell me is that they can't offer me any services on my phone line, let alone fibre.

To my knowledge my cabinet is definitely enabled and the exchange has been accepting orders for a while so hopefully Sky's equipment will be in there. Since my order for line rental was placed, my option for Fibre online has disappeared with Sky and their system seems to not be able to offer me anything.

Would the opinion be to just keep ringing Sky and waiting for their system to kick into gear and enable the fibre order? Or is it likely that Sky simply won't be able to give me fibre after all despite saying that I can get it originally?

Thanks for any opinions.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: New Fibre Order Confusion with Sky's System

I would give Sky another call and ask to be put through to the Fibre team to see if they can provide an answer.

I nearly jumped to the conclusion that there wasn't enough connections in the Sky kit, but you are now on that (check by dialling 17070, you should now get Zo, not BT).

Thinking through this as I am typing, it may well be that you need to allow time for the internal systems to be updated. This is reliant on the information coming from BTO and could take a few days. This being the case, someone should have explained this better when you originally arranged for everything to be moved.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I am hoping that as you suggest it's just a case of waiting for the system to update.

I tried asking to speak to the fibre team yesterday but the agent didn't know what I was talking about and didn't know where to forward me to as a result.

I'll try and speak to them tomorrow morning, hopefully by then the system should have had a chance to catch up after the line moved over on Tuesday. If not I'll have to do some more digging. I've not got a landline handset to test the number you suggest I'm afraid, but I have noticed that the BT DSLchecker website no longer lets me check the number as it is no longer with BT.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by antonusklesk View Post
      Thanks for the reply, I am hoping that as you suggest it's just a case of waiting for the system to update.

I tried asking to speak to the fibre team yesterday but the agent didn't know what I was talking about and didn't know where to forward me to as a result.

I'll try and speak to them tomorrow morning, hopefully by then the system should have had a chance to catch up after the line moved over on Tuesday. If not I'll have to do some more digging. I've not got a landline handset to test the number you suggest I'm afraid, but I have noticed that the BT DSLchecker website no longer lets me check the number as it is no longer with BT.
      Sounds like you have a standard broadband service enabled on your line since you wouldn't be on SVBN otherwise - the BT DSL checker problem.

The line completion takes a few days to fully confirm, as Scubbie said above, usually it comes through 2-3 days after the service starts working. Once this happens orders can be placed for the Fibre upgrade.

Thanks

Yes as it turns out it was a case of simply waiting for the system to update.

I just gave them a call and ordered without a problem, the lovely agent even waived the activation fee seemingly for no reason at all, which was a nice surprise.
      Scubbie likes this.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by antonusklesk View Post
      Yes as it turns out it was a case of simply waiting for the system to update.

I just gave them a call and ordered without a problem, the lovely agent even waived the activation fee seemingly for no reason at all, which was a nice surprise.
      It would have been waived if the whole order had been placed at the same time but sometimes certain system issues mean this cannot happen so as in your case the line needs to activated first then the fibre order placed when active. If the activation fee had been charged I would have advised you to complain but all's well in the end

Thanks

I figure I might as well post an update on where I'm up to with this.

I got the router through the post on Monday and thankfully it's an SR101, while it would be nice to have the use of all 4 ethernet ports, I'd rather be limited to 3 and have the engineer do all the work checking the connection etc.

Due to be installed on Friday, fingers crossed.

Thanks

Whilst the instructions might advise otherwise, you can plug the SR101 in to your existing Sky ADSL connection and start using it now.

When you get the Fibre connection hooked up, simply unplug the ADSL lead and connect up the short (or your own longer) Ethernet cable.

Thanks

I might well do that just to check it works, I've been using a DGN2200v3 for a while which was a vast improvement over the original white Sky Netgear DG834 that I had for years.

I've now got two of these 101 hubs....you're saying the one that came the other day will be identical and both will work with my current ADSL and after the fibre install?

Thanks

Sorry, I was going by the fact that you have Sky BB Unlimited in your profile already. The Sky Hubs will only work with Sky's broadband service.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast