Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

80mbit connection not so good

This is a discussion on 80mbit connection not so good within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey, My FTTC connection was installed some time ago and I have been very happy with 76mbit/18mbit for some time. ...

CluckCannon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-N66U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

80mbit connection not so good

Hey, My FTTC connection was installed some time ago and I have been very happy with 76mbit/18mbit for some time. Downtime on Sky has been negligible and even when we had phone line faults, the fibre just powered straight through unaffected. The lines to the house are overheads, the cabinet isn't too far away.

Really I just wonder why something like the attached picture would occur. Previously I did notice a drop to 70mbit and even to 23mbit but 15mbit or so seems to be the lowest.
      *edit* I forgot to mention, we had a noise fault before (wooshing and crackling) that was fixed. Right now we have that so severe that the phone line is unusable.

80mbit connection not so good-4dmue.jpg

Last edited by CluckCannon; 29-08-13 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Included Speedtest

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: 80mbit connection not so good

Right now we have that so severe that the phone line is unusable.
      I think that is your answer, you have a fault on the copper line between you and the cabinet. Until that's fixed your speed will stay low. Get Sky on the problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

CluckCannon (03-09-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Booked in for Tuesday 3rd of September. I have just gotten out of hospital again and didn't have the heart to yell "HOW LONG?!!!".
      Last time we had the same noise problems the engineer said the same as Isitme but added that something had been disturbed in the cabinet, maybe by another engineer.
      The engineers are always in those cabinets.. I don't like the thought of them being able to kill my broadband and phone like that.

jdsimp1234 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWBNP - Bridgend .South Wales
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

if its any consellation to your post, i have just been switched to SFUP, got switched over the other night, and i have had no problems with it at all...constant 75/76mb/s...apart from my vpn software dragging the speed down to 50mb/s, i have had to disable it or shut it down to get the proper speed...need to stop running it at windows startup etc...

gaming is getting better, i play on hl2dm deathmatch, and have my own game server(which is located in the US) and on SFU i used to get latency just under 100, and it would jump between 80 - 100 ping, since being upgraded to SFUP, i was playing last nite on it, it now fluctuates between 80 - 150 ping until it calmed down...was playing with 85 ping...if i went on a UK/EU server, i get a good 15 - 30 ping...

Exchange:
      Thanks

its always great to read that someone else is having a good experience. there are far more bad experiences posted online it can begin to look like everything is bad (its not). downtime with Sky fibre is very rare in my experience, far less downtime than my old adsl provider. not even bothered by the state of my connection, its going to be fixed tuesday and that grin will appear on my face again.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CluckCannon View Post
      Booked in for Tuesday 3rd of September. I have just gotten out of hospital again and didn't have the heart to yell "HOW LONG?!!!".
      Last time we had the same noise problems the engineer said the same as Isitme but added that something had been disturbed in the cabinet, maybe by another engineer.
      The engineers are always in those cabinets.. I don't like the thought of them being able to kill my broadband and phone like that.
      How long?! I don't normally defend OR but i think that is pretty good!! The "something" that had been disturbed can only really be a bad connection on the Krone block, maybe a bad punch down but it takes quite a bit to disturb anything. Either that or the jumper block is worn due to constant pair switching....
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

CluckCannon (03-09-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

I passed a 2cm gallstone without medication and had to cancel my original engineer visit. Nothing to do with Sky. Others using the phone have waited about two weeks though maybe?

Today it's even worse. Something has to be wrong. Sky tests on the line say its not in the house.

Last edited by CluckCannon; 31-08-13 at 05:12 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The engineer will be here today, I took the liberty of turning the fibre modems leds back on and disconnecting the lan2 port.
      My modem stats today after only a short duration http://puu.sh/4hWFb.jpg pretty bad. Hope the engineer resets it to what it was at before the power cuts and these issues.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If that is for a short period the amount of errors suggest there is something seriously wrong with your connection to the cabinet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The engineer tested the master socket, then wanted to check where the line came into the house, but then decided to leave.
      He came back sometime later and said he found an external fault. The phone line sounded ok on 1471.
      In regards to the fibre speeds he said it should correct itself tonight or regain speed over a couple of days, if not have 'them' reset it..
      I assume he means having Sky reset DLM if im still a 10mbit fibre customer in a few days?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast