Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Openreach modem re-syncing during early mornings

This is a discussion on Openreach modem re-syncing during early mornings within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, I have had Sky fibre over a year now and apart from Powercuts and one case of an ...

amalkin93 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Holmfirth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Openreach modem re-syncing during early mornings

Hi there,

I have had Sky fibre over a year now and apart from Powercuts and one case of an area outage I've never had any connection issues regarding the DSL side of things since I moved from ADSL.

For the past 3 nights I've noticed my modem has been re-syncing in the night. Its been coming back at similar speeds but as I mention above, Ive never known of this occurring before on my connection, previously I had WAN uptime of 1000 hours +.

The first time it occurred I actually noticed as it was about 1:30am two days ago. Since it has seemed to have done the same thing in the night but presumably at later times because Ive been using it until about 2am. During the day however, the connection is rock solid as usual and I am able to manage my webservers fine.

Whats also annoying is I cant diagnose this without hacking the Openreach modem, which I'm not prepared to do without a spare since I require the connection for essential work at the moment.

I have rebooted both the Openreach modem (Huawei HG612) and my Sky Sagemcom router.

My question is, why is my modem all of a sudden doing this, and why at these times?
      There has not been anything out of the normal in terms of usage or conditions like weather etc.

Also for reference here is my speed. Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results
      Like I mentioned above, there has not been any issues with speed, it has kept the same bar a few Kbps.
      Also this is normal for my area, unfortunately the cabinet is quite far away.

Thanks for any help in advance!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Openreach modem re-syncing during early mornings

Also this is normal for my area, unfortunately the cabinet is quite far away.
      It is possibly night noise on the copper wires which is causing the problem. Noise increases on all copper lines at night and the longer your line more interference you are likely to get. Unfortunately unless there is an actual fault on the line, there is not a lot you can do about it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I initially thought that but why would this just happen now, like I said above its never disconnected before unless there was a power outage. I had been synced on the same speed, same IP for 1000+ hours according to the Sky routers Maintenance page.
      Surely if this was occurring frequently my Profile would have been reduced? Also the line is around 1.5km.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is possibly night noise on the copper wires which is causing the problem. Noise increases on all copper lines at night and the longer your line more interference you are likely to get. Unfortunately unless there is an actual fault on the line, there is not a lot you can do about it.
      Hi, did some tests last night at 1-2am. I get the same exact speeds and ping during the night as day, there was no signs of any interference or change in speed or ping. Surely if there was some interference my speeds would struggle and the ping would be higher?

I am wondering now if some DLM has somehow kicked in, I did have to power down the modem twice in one day just before this happened whilst moving some wires, could this have triggered it?

Whats odd is this is only happening in very early morning times and its coming back at the same speeds and not showing any sign of problem. I can also tell these disconnects are not long as my IP address is kept and renewed by the Sky router.

Thanks again

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amalkin93 View Post

I am wondering now if some DLM has somehow kicked in, I did have to power down the modem twice in one day just before this happened whilst moving some wires, could this have triggered it?
      It's quite possible DLM has made some tweaks to your profile and thus needed to resync your modem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      It's quite possible DLM has made some tweaks to your profile and thus needed to resync your modem.
      Any idea how long it should last if this is so?

Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

DLM runs constantly, so it will kick in any time it thinks the line needs tweaking.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.