Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Nighthawk

Sky Hub SR101 issues

This is a discussion on Sky Hub SR101 issues within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I recently had Sky Fibre optic broadband installed in my home on Monday 19th August but had not been able ...

angerfist1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Hub SR101 issues

I recently had Sky Fibre optic broadband installed in my home on Monday 19th August but had not been able to go online at all since that date.. We switched from O2 ADSL broadband.

Why?

The sky hub box will not recognise the connection it seems, the internet light (smiley face) is not lit and failed to come on after countless attempts and even another visit from the OR engineer who spent almost 3 hours trying to resolve the problem but could not find ANY faults on his end.

Yes the modem has 3 lights all lit solid green (LAN1, DSL and Power), I looked at the back of the modem and found that only the green light at the back of the lan1 ethernet port is on, the yellow/amber light is not lit and will occasionally flash (at the back of the ports there are 2 lights). What does this mean? The hub isn't communicating with the modem or what?

They went to the street cabinet I believe and checked that out, found nothing wrong. They also did a check on my line to see if any connection was coming through and they found it was syncing at 40mb download which shows there is a connection coming through into my home. He made several calls to sky and they couldn't even find a problem.

He also got his own BT hub from his home (since he lived nearby to us luckily) and tried that, he got an amber light on his box but of course it wouldn't go green because it's not a router supplied by sky. This led the engineer to believe that it was a fault with the hub itself.

Now I've read similar issues around and noticed that a new router did not solve their problem. So I am wondering, how likely is it that my hub is faulty? The new hub is due to arrive on Friday but I'm not getting excited because I am expecting it not to work. :s

I also tried setting the router mode to WANOE only but this just results in a solid amber internet light even if no DSL cable is plugged into the modem.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: Sky Hub SR101 issues

Just to clarify, how are you connecting the Sky Hub SR101 to the Internet?

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Just to clarify, how are you connecting the Sky Hub SR101 to the Internet?
      The sky hub is connected via a white ethernet cable (using the bottom port on the hub) to the LAN1 port on the modem and then modem is connected via a long dsl cable which connects to the DSL port on the OR socket they installed.

They did think it was related to the long DSL cable and tried the short grey one, however, it made no difference and the problem still persisted.

Router mode is set to auto, I've tried WANOE but get a solid amber smiley face which displays even if no DSL cable is connected to the modem.

When they came to install my equipment, the engineer went to the street cabinet I believe and then asked if I had a connection (which I didn't) so he told us to remove the dsl cable and reinsert it but still no joy. We tried several resets on the day too and the engineer suggested the router may be faulty so we gave sky a call and they sent an engineer as they said there was a fault on the line when it appears there wasn't as he did all the checks when he came.

I've heard that it can take up to 2 hours for the hub to connect (without interruptions) for the first time. Could the problem be that we didn't wait the 2 hours and started resetting, rebooting etc after like 15mins instead of waiting the 2 hours and then performing the diagnostic checks/repairs?

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by angerfist1 View Post
      I've heard that it can take up to 2 hours for the hub to connect (without interruptions) for the first time. Could the problem be that we didn't wait the 2 hours and started resetting, rebooting etc after like 15mins instead of waiting the 2 hours and then performing the diagnostic checks/repairs?
      The long delay for hub to connect for the first time is usually only when it is replacing the previous router. It's due to the lease renewal interval for the external IP address of the router. So I would say it's not likely to be that. It should connect immediately if there was no previous router and fibre connection.

Is the cable from the modem to the master socket the one that was supplied with the modem? Or is it one that you used before on ADSL?

(Sorry to also reply on here but I don't think these points were not mentioned at "the other place"!)
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Nighthawk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Nuneaton
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had similar problems, full green lights on the openreach modem but no connection on the sky hub.For me the problem was in the cabinet. The cabinet was wrongly labelled and I was connected to the wrong port. In the cabinet they have different connections for sky, ntl and bt users. If connected to the wrong one the bt engineer will report the signal ok but the sky box cannot connect. Mine was diagnosed by the bt engineer talking to someone back at base who noticed which line dropped out when he disconnected. This told him he was 10 positions out in the cabinet. As soon as he moved the connections I got immediate white light on the sky hub. One clue was that my line synced at the wrong speeds for sky. It should have been 40 down, 10 up. and it was higher upload speed.

By the way I complained about the hassle I had and got my install fee refunded.
      Scubbie likes this.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Interesting. I thought that all the ports within the street cabinet are "ISP-neutral"? Perhaps it was a faulty port within the cabinet? All the "magic" (i.e. handover from the optical line termination point to LLU provider's kit) happens at the exchange doesn't it? Please feel free to correct me if any of this is incorrect!
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just thought I'd post here and let those know who don't go to the official sky forum that the issue is now resolved.

Engineer said "there were a lot of problems" and messed around with the cabinet doing whatever he does and it came on after.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to angerfist1 For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (28-08-13)